Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You might try the recently-published CO₂. The game has a solitaire scenario included as part of the standard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is great recommendation as it has two playing modes - simple (which is medium weight and you could play it with your gf) and complex (which you could play solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overlook Mage Knight Board Game. It may not seem like it on the surface but it's truly all about resource management. You need to manage your influence, your combat factors, your mana, your units to keep driving forward and be strong enough for the next challenge. Time is running out on you and the choices you have to make to improve your lot come thick and fast. For me it is the heaviest and most complex game I own.

I also love Le Havre. I bet your gf would play it with you too. My wife loves it as much as I do and beats me more often than I do her. It really isn't all that heavy and positive progression always comes. That said I was underwhelmed with the solo game (only played it once) as I was with the solo Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Jones
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
GMT's Fields of Fire.

This is not for the light of heart.. There is a Video Series that walks you through the first scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love At the Gates of Loyang, but it doesn't sound like what you want. It isn't as heavy as Agricola or Le Havre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freauxzen wrote:
fractaloon wrote:
I love At the Gates of Loyang, but it doesn't sound like what you want. It isn't as heavy as Agricola or Le Havre.

Thanks for letting me know. I was oh so close to getting it and it's cheap on Amazon right now..or cheaper. And it looked great.

I think I was drawn to it because some said it or Agricola had the better solo options of the Harvest trilogy.

Like I said, it's a great game, but based on your requirements of heaviness, I would pass it for one of the others. If the price is great, you may want to check it out anyway.

I recently did a review of At the Gates of Loyang on my podcast.
http://fractaloon.podbean.com/2012/12/03/1p-028-at-the-gates...

A while back, I also did a comparison of the 3 Harvest Series games. You may find that useful if you are still considering getting one of them.
http://fractaloon.podbean.com/2011/07/03/1p-004-luna/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freauxzen wrote:
4) Am I missing anything or is Agricola really the holy grail of solo resource management games?

Agricola solo is fantastic and it perfectly fits your requirements. Don't overthink this one, and go with the proven option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Mage Knight. It's really a fun game once you wrap your head around it. It's what you're asking for.

I couldn't, so it's gone. I have a lot less patience to learn the intricacies of a boardgame for solo play. Right now I'm enjoying D-Day Dice, which is 100% NOT what you want, but it's just at the level of fiddliness I can handle for solo-play. However, I found and find learning Through the Ages, a 2+ player game, a joy to experience and it is definitely fiddly as all hell

I loved Mage Knight when I played it with another BGG-er and I can see it being an excellent solo game once your past the learning curve. This is a great intro video:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/11547/mage-knight-board-game/...

BTW, I own Agricola. I've never played it solo but it's one of my favorite games and, yes, it totally does live up to the hype!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schwimer
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having both of these games I think you're on the right track. Per your requirements, I would vote for MK, but you won't go wrong with either choice. MK can have some real brain burning moments and has given me analysis paralysis more than once. I have not gotten the feeling of this intensity of depth from Agricola, though I haven't played it all that much yet. I just recently acquired it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Robinson
msg tools
mbmb
I'd go with Mage Knight between those too. It lends itself to some very exciting moments once you've internalized the rules (which can be a chore). This nicely conveys my experience learning the game...

But in the end I found the effort worth it. It's a really inventive and well-crafted game.

If you want to get a feel of what a solo play is like, there is a full game play-through on YouTube which I found this very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vouch for Silverton. Very fun solo.

Its readily available for pretty cheap too, which is a big plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know I'm very late to the party on this...but felt I should add some comments as others like myself may find this thread when doing google searches. Also have the advantage of a few extra years.

Solo games:

Mage Knight is indeed designed to be solo and is heavy. The funny thing is I don't like it at all. I feel like I'm in a listless world and am racing arbitrarily against a clock. The only option I remotely enjoy is one where a general (boss) is moving on the map and you lose if he reaches your starting city.

But here are my suggestions:

1) Convicted. It is designed in Poland and was kickstarted. It is my single favorite solo game. It is castle panic - heavy. You are managing resources and building a castle and then managing a 15 phase siege by the enemy. (You have to survive 20 rounds of this). The 15 phase siege is awesome and mathy and the resource phase in between each siege is equally as awesome.

2) Codeword Cromwell. The one criteria of yours that might fail here is Cromwell relies a ton on dice rolls, however, you mitigate it heavily by making sound choices. This is like an epic story about a hypothetical situation where Germany invaded England via Operation Sea Lion and the whole game focuses on villagers of a sleepy town who are defending a church against invading Germans...some of them have cricket bats and pool cues.

It is a bizarre game. You draw events and then they have a multi-hundred page book that brings me back to the 1980s where you flip to page 65 and then read a story. So the game is very story driven and even has a "choose your own adventure" feel to it. But underneath it all is a similar game to Convicted. You are guarding the church in the center of town from waves of invading Germans. The number of spies and sabotage, etc. make it definitely worth a look.

3) I've not played this one but made by the same people who did Operation Cromwell is another game called "Where there is Discord" which is about a revolt in South America involving a British Aircraft Carrier. Since I've not played, I haven't done it justice, but it is a similar game.

The awesomeness about #2 and #3 is they are solo ONLY. These aren't multiplayer games with solo variants. They are purely solo and nothing else.

4) Look up a company called "Victory Point Games". It does it no justice to isolate a single game. They have DOZENS of games that were designed to be played Solo. Darkest Night is the most popular of them, but there are cool Civil War zombie games and even war of the roses themed games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.