Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days» Forums » General

Subject: Private Nock is Gone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone out there have Pvt Nock? My Nock was missing a core card. He was pretty good. He was rated a 3 and had 3 zips, 1 pin and 2 kills (plus whatever was on the missing core card). He also walked 5 and could rally 2. I contacted LBG and they corrected the missing core card problem by sending me Private Pack. Now Pack is rated a 4. He has 5 wound and 2 kills...not sure if I really want him in my squad makeup. He also only rallies 1 and only moves 4. He also shoots a lesser distance than Nock did. The only advantage I can see with him is that he looks 17 squares vs Nock's 14....why Pack is rated higher than Nock I'm not sure...but he'll probably be guarding the LZ rather than being on the front line.

Almost forgot...Nock has 2M, 2S, 1L and 1H ...Pack has no look cards too.

By the way...LBG was pretty great to correct my missing core card problem, I just kind of miss Nock
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Doyle

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's rough. I hadn't thought about how one missing card would make a soldier useless. Have you checked other soldiers or your story decks to see if it might be stuck together with one? I am surprised LBG wasn't able to reprint the cards for you.

If you are asking if anyone else has the same soldier, the answer would be no. That's part of the point of the game. All soldiers are unique. No one else will ever have the same soldiers. Good luck finding the missing card.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buchholz
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I ever lose a card from Pvt Lipton I will mourn alongside you.

To Pvt Nock!

hip hip......
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AKDoyle wrote:
That's rough. I hadn't thought about how one missing card would make a soldier useless. Have you checked other soldiers or your story decks to see if it might be stuck together with one? I am surprised LBG wasn't able to reprint the cards for you.

If you are asking if anyone else has the same soldier, the answer would be no. That's part of the point of the game. All soldiers are unique. No one else will ever have the same soldiers. Good luck finding the missing card.


Yep I double checked every single group of cards I have...even the story decks...Nock's one card is not to be found. I too thought that by providing his unique serial number that they could just reprint them...I'm not really dissatisfied ... I could have had Pack and got him replaced with Nock...that's the luck of the draw!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I too thought that by providing his unique serial number that they could just reprint them.


Well, for a little peek behind the curtain, they found some of the early soldiers had some programming hiccups. Some of it might be stuff you don't really see, but remember, with all the permutations, all the 3 VP soldiers are supposed to be 'the same' in total value and ditto all the 4 VP soldiers, and on and on. They found a couple hiccups and worked on them and it's possible Nock got 'erased' in that.

That's just a guess by someone who hasn't really been behind the curtain...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="kduke"]
Quote:
...They found a couple hiccups and worked on them and it's possible Nock got 'erased' ...


"Erased"?....what will I tell his family? Oh the inhumanity!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Doyle

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Do Nock and Pack share the same Serial Number? If so, then it sounds like Kevin has it right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope...Nock is 929-676 and Pack is 804-701. Not close really...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
[q="kduke"]
Quote:
...They found a couple hiccups and worked on them and it's possible Nock got 'erased' ...


"Erased"?....what will I tell his family? Oh the inhumanity!


Sir,
we regret to inform you that any information about so called "PVT Nock" remains classified at this point. Please contact this office again after the war is won.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat.

Respectfully
Lieutenant Commander Ewen Montagu
2 
 Thumb up
2.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank, thanks for the very interesting read on Operation Mincmeat...so, Nock may live on only to be discovered in his true identity after the classified material gets released...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I don't have a missing card, I just have another soldiers card mixed in with my Private Wind. I have 6 Private Winds cards and 1 Private Wakes card that came with Wind's set. Wind must have gotten a donated kidney from Wakes.

I contacted LBG a couple of times over a few month period but hadn't heard anything. I had a similar thing happen before with having a different soldier on the wounded side of one of my soldier's character cards. Due to the issue of locating that guy again in their database, it took a couple months to get a new card for him.

At this point, I've grown attached to Private Wakes' kidney in Private Wind's deck, so whenever I use Wind, I'll just let my opponent know that he has one card that is for Wakes but it goes with Wind. No biggie.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Well I don't have a missing card, I just have another soldiers card mixed in with my Private Wind. I have 6 Private Winds cards and 1 Private Wakes card that came with Wind's set. Wind must have gotten a donated kidney from Wakes...


Too funny! I see that I'm not alone here with some card mix-ups. I know that LBG is trying to tighten up their quality control processes...The plus side is that they are pretty good at "making things right"...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Out of towering flames and smoke a rumbling, steel demon emerges before me, shaking the ground, rattling all bravado. Fighting a numbing cold grip of terror on my spine, I yield to desperate muscle-memory, collapsing into a rigid crouch, snap-firing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Quote:
I too thought that by providing his unique serial number that they could just reprint them.


Well, for a little peek behind the curtain, they found some of the early soldiers had some programming hiccups. Some of it might be stuff you don't really see, but remember, with all the permutations, all the 3 VP soldiers are supposed to be 'the same' in total value and ditto all the 4 VP soldiers, and on and on. They found a couple hiccups and worked on them and it's possible Nock got 'erased' in that.

That's just a guess by someone who hasn't really been behind the curtain...
I just acquired an entire used set of early soldiers not long ago. This information is disconcerting since it's possible all 66 of my soldiers are early soldiers. I was very excited to get early soldiers since it was mentioned before in the forums that veteran soldiers would earn or spend experience more favorably than soldiers later on (when the online registration stuff begins). I trust a bomb hasn't just exploded on that promise. So,

How do the programming issues mentioned affect these early soldiers?

Does "erased" really mean that they are unprintable and irreplaceable?

Does this mean that they have become ineligible for tournament play and experienced advancement?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
R M Chair General wrote:
kduke wrote:
Quote:
I too thought that by providing his unique serial number that they could just reprint them.


Well, for a little peek behind the curtain, they found some of the early soldiers had some programming hiccups. Some of it might be stuff you don't really see, but remember, with all the permutations, all the 3 VP soldiers are supposed to be 'the same' in total value and ditto all the 4 VP soldiers, and on and on. They found a couple hiccups and worked on them and it's possible Nock got 'erased' in that.

That's just a guess by someone who hasn't really been behind the curtain...
I just acquired an entire used set of early soldiers not long ago. This information is disconcerting since it's possible all 66 of my soldiers are early soldiers. I was very excited to get early soldiers since it was mentioned before in the forums that veteran soldiers would earn or spend experience more favorably than soldiers later on (when the online registration stuff begins). I trust a bomb hasn't just exploded on that promise. So,

How do the programming issues mentioned affect these early soldiers?...


Good questions Bryan...I guess one would be, what is an early soldier? I got most of my stuff in October last year, so are they early, mid, late? Who knows? Perhaps Jeff can answer this one? For me, this isn't a big deal right now. I mean, it's a GAME not life

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Out of towering flames and smoke a rumbling, steel demon emerges before me, shaking the ground, rattling all bravado. Fighting a numbing cold grip of terror on my spine, I yield to desperate muscle-memory, collapsing into a rigid crouch, snap-firing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, but the reason your story of Pvt. Nock is such a big deal to me is that SMG is an investment into a game system eventually involving progressive advancement that will be dependent on the soldier history. If that history is accidentally 'erased' then something behind the curtain feels broken.

All of my soldiers were originally acquired in 2011 as were all of the others I bought from a seller here on BGG so I assume that means they're old enough to count for veteran status. If you purchased a soldier as soon as last October then why wouldn't it be easily replaceable? (That doesn't seem to make any sense as I thought all the 'hiccups' were cured long before then.)

Furthermore, I assumed there was some kind of LBG vault wherein serial numbers were kept, perfectly preserving a soldier status until experience points later earned were to be spent on his promotion. If it is true that fixing some kind of glitch can disavow a soldier's existence then frankly for me that constitutes a loss of faith in further investment so I'm really interested in further clarification on the subject of your missing man.

I'd like to continue to trust that my (even older) soldiers' victory points possess accurate balanced legitimacy and will always be waiting in the vault should the time for a future promotion actually occur, but I have a bad feeling about it as poor Pvt. Nock remains lost in the Bermuda Triangle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
What is Nock's dog tag number?


http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11195359#11195359
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

I am a bit overwhelmed right now. I have a commitment to pull up several soldiers and review them. But with the Red Devils and Day of Days rollout underway this month I have not had a spare moment. I need to punt on these soldier reviews until after RD Funding ends.

Please send me a private message about this thread if I miss the update at that time.

My apologies for the delay.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Out of towering flames and smoke a rumbling, steel demon emerges before me, shaking the ground, rattling all bravado. Fighting a numbing cold grip of terror on my spine, I yield to desperate muscle-memory, collapsing into a rigid crouch, snap-firing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jeff for responding and checking into this. I'm also interested in knowing if the Saving Pvt. Nock mission is successful please.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks,
Let's put this thread on "hold" for a while.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was very pleased that LBG made good on the missing card issue I had with Pvt Nock by just sending me a new character set. Red Devils should be occupying the SMG folks right now, not a missing card which was made good!

Sure, there may be one or two other folks out there with a character card issue...but let's save those up for a little later on. It doesn't affect the play of the game for anyway...

Ya'll with me?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Folks,
Let's put this thread on "hold" for a while.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I was very pleased that LBG made good on the missing card issue I had with Pvt Nock by just sending me a new character set. Red Devils should be occupying the SMG folks right now, not a missing card which was made good!

Sure, there may be one or two other folks out there with a character card issue...but let's save those up for a little later on. It doesn't affect the play of the game for anyway...

Ya'll with me?


Agree!

R M Chair General wrote:
the Saving Pvt. Nock mission


Now of course, this must become a scenario! laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.