United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's often disappointment to whining how the game feels unthematic, partly b/c people refer to the cubes as colors rather than adventurers by class... as opposed to games like Stone Age where players refer to resources as wood, stone, brick, etc. However, it seems the only difference really was LoD (and others like Caylus) came with cubes, while a game like SA decided to use shaped resources. If they used cubes just like DA, it'd be no different.

EDIT: Just to make sure there's no confusion, I'm aware there are places to get "DnDeeples". The question is, did not including these or its equivalent cause LoD to lose "thematic points"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/807557/custom-meeples-update...

Friends don't let friends play with cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/807557/custom-meeples-update...

Friends don't let friends play with cubes.

Got mine today! Can't wait to send some oranges -- er, I mean, warriors -- out onto the city streets. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is a given, true, of any game, where you get cubes, punched pieces over models, miniatures, and so I think it is a moot point. It is just the cost stopping me from decking out a lot of games. I am happy with the DnDeeples with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the DnDeeples, but my co-players still refer to them as orange men, purple men, black men and white men. But at least they now say men instead of cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
EDIT: Just to make sure there's no confusion, I'm aware there are places to get "DnDeeples". The question is, did not including these or its equivalent cause LoD to lose "thematic points"?

This has been a topic of debate on numerous other threads, so I'm not sure you're going to get people to rehash that same debate once again here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

This has been a topic of debate on numerous other threads, so I'm not sure you're going to get people to rehash that same debate once again here...

I like hash. Especially corned beef hash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it does lose thematic points for me. How awesome would a couple of fistful of plastic D&D ish figs been for this game? Doesn't detract from the game play, and didn't stop me from buying it, but I would have relished some plastic bits over those damn meeple things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the DnDeeples and we took this game out for a maiden voyage on Saturday. My honest opinion? While the DnDeeples are perfectly nice, I don't think they add to the theme of the game at all.

I could see where some game groups may differ, but our game still just boiled down to "hand me two black and a purple, please." No one was referring to Warriors and Clerics--the game's just too light and moves too fast to really invest much in the theme. DnDeeples won't necessarily fix that for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.