Subject: Non-open group monster and reinforcement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S C
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
The quest Castle Daerion encounter 2 has a couple zombies brought in from encounter 1, but they are not restricted to the group limits since they're not of any "group". Can they still be reinforced as normal? and past the "group" limit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but not past the monster group limit (which is the total number of figures depending on the number of heroes, as specified on the back of the monster card). The "monster groups" for this quest are Ettins, Zombies and 1 Open Group (from the Civilized or Building trait).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar question. Also, can you go beyond the zombies brought in? For example, with group limits a zombie master could be added. Is that the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that the only thing that is "not restricted to group limits" is the Setup, so the starting zombies. The reinforcements are still limited to the group limits. This means that if there are more zombies on the board than there should be due to setup, the Overlord cannot reinforce zombies that turn.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdanish wrote:
I had a similar question. Also, can you go beyond the zombies brought in? For example, with group limits a zombie master could be added. Is that the case?

I don't see why not, as long as you are respecting group limits. The reinforcements section states, "At the start of each overlord turn, he may place 1 monster from 1 of his monster groups or Sir Alric Farrow on the Laboratory, respecting group limits." And the Monster Section (which are the monster groups) states, "Sir Alric Farrow, Ettins, Zombies, 1 Open Group." So zombies are part of the monster groups.

Thing is, since Zombies have Shamble, they would be the *last* monsters you would want to reinforce on this map! You will want speed, getting your monsters into the fray as quickly as possible. So, I would only ever spawn a zombie if there was nothing else to spawn...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Thing is, since Zombies have Shamble, they would be the *last* monsters you would want to reinforce on this map! You will want speed, getting your monsters into the fray as quickly as possible. So, I would only ever spawn a zombie if there was nothing else to spawn...

-shnar

But isn't it only the Zombies that can cause any damage to Cardinal Koth? So you really need to ensure that there is enough of them on the map, reinforcing to keep the pressure on the heroes. So if there are no Zombies then Koth doesn't/can't get attacked by the OL other monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obi Wann wrote:
But isn't it only the Zombies that can cause any damage to Cardinal Koth?

You're thinking of The Cardinal's Plight which has zero reinforcements. We're talking about Castle Daerion, completely different quest

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under standard campaign rules, is it even possible to have reinforce available for Cardinal's Plight? Don't you need 6XP to get to that part of the card tree, so can you get Reinforce for any Act I quest based on the campaign RAW?

(Mind you my playing group has been discussing a variant to the OL card trees to make certain cards more accessible, but that's besides the point here...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need 5XP to purchase Reinforce (two 1XP cards and the 3XP card). Having said that, if the Overlord plays and wins The Fat Goblin, Castle Daerion, and just plays First Blood, he'd have 5XP. So *if* the third quest was The Cardinal's Plight, then yes, the Overlord could have the Reinforce card (lvl 3 Warlord card).

That card may cause some interesting outcomes with this quest:

Quote:
Play this card at the start
of your turn and choose
one of your monster
groups in this quest
(except for a lieutenant).

You may place monster
figures on the map up to
the group limit for that
monster. These monsters
may not be placed within
3 spaces of any hero, but
may otherwise be placed
in an empty space.

So yes, with this card, you'd be able to "reinforce" monsters in The Cardinal's Plight.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
You only need 5XP to purchase Reinforce (two 1XP cards and the 3XP card). Having said that, if the Overlord plays and wins The Fat Goblin, Castle Daerion, and just plays First Blood, he'd have 5XP. So *if* the third quest was The Cardinal's Plight, then yes, the Overlord could have the Reinforce card (lvl 3 Warlord card).

That card may cause some interesting outcomes with this quest:

Quote:
Play this card at the start
of your turn and choose
one of your monster
groups in this quest
(except for a lieutenant).

You may place monster
figures on the map up to
the group limit for that
monster. These monsters
may not be placed within
3 spaces of any hero, but
may otherwise be placed
in an empty space.

So yes, with this card, you'd be able to "reinforce" monsters in The Cardinal's Plight.

-shnar

Ah, gotcha...

Yea, being able to bring all the zombies back could definitely make that encounter a bit more of a challenge... Or being able to bring back the open group from the first room if it didn't contain the special search token unlocking the door, thereby making the second room all that more difficult again and buying zombies more time to om nom nom on the Cardinal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Tsk-tsk :

"He must have three cards of a class in his
deck (which can be any combination of Level 1 and Level 2 cards) before
purchasing a level 3 card of that class." (p. 20)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serves me right for going off memory and not looking at the manual. Thought it was 2 cards but I see it is 3. As such, right now I cannot see a way to get any level 3 OL cards in Act 1 (future expansions or campaigns may change that).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Serves me right for going off memory and not looking at the manual. Thought it was 2 cards but I see it is 3. As such, right now I cannot see a way to get any level 3 OL cards in Act 1 (future expansions or campaigns may change that).

-shnar

And here you had me second-guessing my own understanding... shake

Bastard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.