Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost of shipping games in from the U.S. has increased dramatically to the point where it isn't very cost effective to bid on U.S. auction items make trades or even join in the Thrifting threads. Twice today I've been quoted $35+ for shipping a used game.

Is there a way to select only Canadian Auctions, trades, sales, etc? If no, is there a need to now setup better ways for Canadians to hook up with other Canadians...or maybe it's just the new norm..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, living in Kamloops, there is not much we can do!
When I lived in Grand Forks, BC, I had a US mail box and could just cross the border and pick up any mail in 15 minutes...those were the days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For auctions, keep an eye (or subscribe) to this geeklist, it is for Canadian auctions.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/109233/metalist-for-ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the BGG Marketplace page I set the filters to Games: All; Dollars: Canadian $ (sometimes US$ as well); and filter the shipping to just Canada.
I do the same thing with my trades setting it to custom and then filtering to just Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
When I lived in Grand Forks, BC, I had a US mail box and could just cross the border and pick up any mail in 15 minutes...those were the days

Yea but you were in grand forks. Clive I will be in kamloops next week would you have suggestions for finding a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had some game to trade with you while you were here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
Clive65 wrote:

Yea but you were in grand forks. Clive I will be in kamloops next week would you have suggestions for finding a few games.

When will you be in town? What days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4-7 doing a course during the day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
4-7 doing a course during the day

Interested in trading Blue Moon and/or Roll Through the Ages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most definitely Yes and maybe but I am only moderately interested in heroscape, domain and Jamaica.

For all the Kamloops people I would happily bring something from my collection to play/teach you as well especially Combat Commander: Europe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck dude. Shipping woes blow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
Most definitely Yes and maybe but I am only moderately interested in heroscape, domain and Jamaica.

For all the Kamloops people I would happily bring something from my collection to play/teach you as well especially Combat Commander: Europe

I would be interested in trading my heroscape

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Europe 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
I received an e-mail from UPS tonight stating that they were giving special rates to eBay sellers for international shipping. Up to 32% off to Canada and 25% off to Europe. Maybe that will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would help except for one thing, they charge duty no matter how much the item costs, so add $40 in duty handling charges to that $20 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ya, I really hate when people send something UPS or DHL....it adds $20+ to your package for basically nothing. I recall getting a deal on some new school books for my kids..cost maybe $8....customs charges with UPS were $25+..there goes my deal. Could have got them cheaper here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
It would help except for one thing, they charge duty no matter how much the item costs, so add $40 in duty handling charges to that $20 game.

Only UPS and Fedex (and DHL?) ground charge this fee. If you upgrade to the next higher level of service, they don't charge the brokerage fee. You still need to pay the taxes obviously. The higher rate is usually cheaper than the brokerage fee, and you get your stuff sooner too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4100xpb wrote:
nastycleavage wrote:

Only UPS and Fedex (and DHL?) ground charge this fee. If you upgrade to the next higher level of service, they don't charge the brokerage fee. You still need to pay the taxes obviously. The higher rate is usually cheaper than the brokerage fee, and you get your stuff sooner too!

For starters if you ship anything with any courier you will pay brokerage. Courier companies have to have everything they ship cleared. The main courier companies all have their own internal brokerage services, so they will offer you the option on ground service to use their broker or you can use your own. Typically you will pay $40 brokerage coming into Canada if you don't have preferred rates. We only pay $25 for brokerage as we have preferred rates. We used to use Livingstone for all of our customs and they would bill us $20 for anything under $1500.

As for Air Freight, "higher level", just about all of the main couriers will clear all air freight themselves. So it isn't that you don't pay brokerage fees, you just don't see them. They are rolled into the higher price you pay.

People in Canada shouldn't complain too much. We actually pay less to clear stuff coming into Canada than American's pay to clear customs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:

People in Canada shouldn't complain too much. We actually pay less to clear stuff coming into Canada than American's pay to clear customs.

The difference is, with stuff costing so much more up here, Americans are not exactly tripping over themselves to bring stuff in to the states. The only reason to buy anything online in Canada is because you don't pay international shipping. I mean, I suppose you tend to get it faster too, but if the purchase was time sensitive I'd probably just buy locally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was shocked this weekend when going to Gottacon and staying at my Son's. He brought out Galaxy Trucker from England the new one not even pictured on the Geek, the big box with both expansions. He figured $110 was better than buying game and both expansion's in Canada. Here was the real kicker shock, shipping $10. Will have to get him so send me a picture of the game to post here as well as game supplier. Right now we have a gamer in our group waiting for the expansions to restock before he buys them and game. $10 shipping from England for all 3 games that now come in one big box. This can open up a whole new window for buying new European games for us Canadians.
Edit: Forgot delivered in less than 14 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fastlane wrote:
monchichi wrote:

The difference is, with stuff costing so much more up here, Americans are not exactly tripping over themselves to bring stuff in to the states. The only reason to buy anything online in Canada is because you don't pay international shipping. I mean, I suppose you tend to get it faster too, but if the purchase was time sensitive I'd probably just buy locally.

I was speaking generally, not just specifically to board games. American's might not be tripping over themselves to buy board games online from Canadian retailers, but when I was bookbinding full time we did as much business south of the border as we did in Canada. We might be in a different situation on the west coast as for us it is more natural to trade north south than east west. I am now an import/exporter working with designers and furniture manufacturers and most of my manufacturing clients rely on the US for the bulk of their sales. My point was that we actually get a break on what we pay for duty and brokerage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
I was shocked this weekend when going to Gottacon and staying at my Son's. He brought out Galaxy Trucker from England the new one not even pictured on the Geek, the big box with both expansions. He figured $110 was better than buying game and both expansion's in Canada. Here was the real kicker shock, shipping $10. Will have to get him so send me a picture of the game to post here as well as game supplier. Right now we have a gamer in our group waiting for the expansions to restock before he buys them and game. $10 shipping from England for all 3 games that now come in one big box. This can open up a whole new window for buying new European games for us Canadians.
Edit: Forgot delivered in less than 14 days.

Shipping is a bizzare thing. I have posted this on another shipping related post before. We have a tannery that we use in the UK. TNT has a major hub at the end of the street from this tannery. When we first started using them we opened our own TNT account. We were getting quoted $150CAN shipping and brokerage from the UK to Vancouver on a single hide of leather on a 7 day service. Our tannery used TNT for all of their shipping, so based on UK rates they were getting what they thought were awesome rates. We got them to quote on a single hide on their account one time and we were both shocked to find out that their price was 136GBP which at the time worked out to $206 CAN. We spoke with TNT about this and found out that in Canada we got preferred rates as TNT was not established in North America, so it was their way of trying to get business from North American clients. Shortly after this discussion our tannery contacted FedEx and asked them what they could do for them. We now can ship a single hide on our tannery's account from the UK to Vancouver on a 2-3 day service for $55!!

If you dig around long enough and deep enough you can find hidden gems. Most people just can't be bothered to do the leg work and as a result pay what ever the going rate is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marky Mark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For starters if you ship anything with any courier you will pay brokerage. Courier companies have to have everything they ship cleared. The main courier companies all have their own internal brokerage services, so they will offer you the option on ground service to use their broker or you can use your own. Typically you will pay $40 brokerage coming into Canada if you don't have preferred rates. We only pay $25 for brokerage as we have preferred rates. We used to use Livingstone for all of our customs and they would bill us $20 for anything under $1500.

As for Air Freight, "higher level", just about all of the main couriers will clear all air freight themselves. So it isn't that you don't pay brokerage fees, you just don't see them. They are rolled into the higher price you pay.

True, my point was more that when shipping the big three ground you will get dinged with a brokerage fee on delivery (typically $25-40), but if you go with air there is no separate charge. Of course it's rolled into their shipping fees, but when I've shipped the increase in shipping fees were far less than the brokerage fee on ground shipments.

All that to say "don't be afraid of a suprise $40 brokerage bill when shipping cross-border - just pay the $5 more to bump it to an air shipment and it's all taken care of. And you get your stuff sooner" Except for the taxes. Can't get away from those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom line is shipping costs for games have close to doubled from what they were. For me it has come down to why take a chance on a second hand game from some one here when buying it new in Canada is now around 10% to 20% more. Many places offer free shipping if i buy X amount, so i get a few game members together and we buy a few games... I will use Starlight Citadel here in B C as an example, they sell games around 40% cheaper than a store, order $175 and shipping is free. Our games group actually put together enough that 2 separate orders were placed this year already. Now we buy Canadian, super i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
Bottom line is shipping costs for games have close to doubled from what they were. For me it has come down to why take a chance on a second hand game from some one here when buying it new in Canada is now around 10% to 20% more. Many places offer free shipping if i buy X amount, so i get a few game members together and we buy a few games... I will use Starlight Citadel here in B C as an example, they sell games around 40% cheaper than a store, order $175 and shipping is free. Our games group actually put together enough that 2 separate orders were placed this year already. Now we buy Canadian, super i think.

Yes, it's unfortunate but I'm doing the same thing and buying new. I've tried a few U.S. auctions and the Marketplace and the shipping costs have been so high that it's cheaper to buy new in Canada.

Trading isn't working either because the person on the U.S. side doesn't want pay the shipping at that cost. So, it limits my options for getting a deal on a used game since now I'm mainly buying at new game prices but..it is what it is I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.