Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This character says something to the effect of "Reduce a development or black market card's cost by 2000. Draw a card."

When I play this, do I have to name / target a specific development before drawing the card? I asked this on the PHG forums and at least one other user found the question confusing, so here is an example of what I mean and why it matters if the question doesn't make sense:

Let us say I have 2000 ARCs and one card, Roden. There are a couple developments I'm looking at, one which costs 4000, one 6000. I really want the 6000 one and hope when I play Roden I draw a Worker (who also reduces a development cost by 2000), but I don't know that I will. If I have to target a card with Roden, pick the 6000 development, and don't draw the worker, then Roden's effect was useless (other than getting me a card). But if it just means "reduce the cost of whatever development," I can draw the card then make my decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase
United States
Elma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing the rules of the game fully, my first impression of reading your question was this:
You would play sempento, the first part would trigger strait up. Then draw a card. In that order. The first part doesn't sound like you have to choose a target card. Just when he comes into play he reduces the cost of the card you end up buying. I say that based on it doesn't say "target" or "choose a card." So you may want the 6000 but if you don't get your draw of the worker to make it affordable, that means you could just get the 4000 development or even a blackmarket card. Hope that make sense/helps you out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that it could be interpreted that way, but it could also be read the opposite way. "a" is a surprisingly flexible word, meaning either one of the thing (choose a target) or the thing in general (as you describe). I lean toward agreeing with you, though, since games tend to say choose/target when applicable. I am just hoping to find out officially/definitively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Vega

Ohio
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Chose as specific card or development to reduce the cost of. If you can additional reduce the card or development that you specified with the card that you drew you may do so as well.

I hope this clears things up for you guys. Let me know if you have any more questions. Please feel free to email me at isaacvegadesign@gmail.com.

Thank you so much for purchasing my game. I hope that you are enjoying it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clear as can be. Thanks for making it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.