Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What is next for my family? What are we missing out on? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richie Rich
msg tools
Game list
King of Tokyo
7 Wonders
Netrunner
Star Wars LCG
Lord of the Rings LCG
Warhammer Invasion
Legends of Andor
Marvel Legendary
Dominion
Pandemic + on the brink exp.
Flashpoint
Elder Sign
Stone Age
Forbidden Island
Zombicide
Smash Up
Ticket to Ride
Citadels
Knights of Ten
Hey That's My Fish
Mage Wars
Survive - Escape from Atlantis
Thunderstone
Blood Bowl Team Manager
Mice and Mystics
Lords of Waterdeep
Dixit

The Family and Gaming Background
Me: Competitive Magic the Gathering player for 10yrs. Very competitive. 1st person in AZ state to be sponsored by a gaming store to play at national tourneys. 30+ years of roleplaying and video game experience. New to 'thegeek' types of boardgames but I've been around them for decades (just never sat down to play any). I can enjoy a game with anyone and be with family and accept losing (badly) if its for the fun of the family but...the MtG mentality rears its head. I cannot help but overthink many of my turns/options, looking for the most efficient way possible to play any game. I appreciate a good game of pure luck as much as strategy, but if it starts to involve cards and thinking 5 turns ahead, that comes easy to me. I do not however dominate co-op games. I'd rather see if I personally can take such an effective turn that it offsets the mess up that my partners made rather than tell everyone else how they should play.

Wife: Not a gamer. Well, she is one now! She is in every game with me/us on the weekends now but it isn't in her blood. A game to her needs to be fun and relaxing. Too many buttons on the Xbox 360 controller sort of thing. Too many game options and lengthy rules and it had at least better explain quickly or she is out. She has embraced Legends of Andor, Zombicide and the deckbuilders lately though, so she doesn't mind some length (90-2hrs) so long as her turn/options don't involve 60 decisions and forethought.

8yr old Daughter: A gamer. Loves many games and does quite well at them. She has won her share of 7 Wonders. Zombicide freaks her out and her top 3 are King of Tokyo, Dominion and 7 Wonders.

13yr old son: He does his own thing. Often would rather be near us playing on Ipad or video games. When he games though he gets it. He's like daddy in that regard..just a teenager, so its hit or miss with him. He is an outstanding artist (like 10yrs from hollywood/game industry concept artist) so his mind is crazy like that. He loves Gears of War, chainsaw guns, massive demons with horns. Warhammer, crazy spaceships, Godzilla and any Dragon with..rocket launchers.

Occasionally we have 2-4 people join us for gaming. They play whatever.

Big hits on our table are King of Tokyo #1 by far. We all love it. My personal favorite is Lords of Waterdeep. Stone Age was a hit but has only hit the table once. I play a lot of solo so Legendary is a hit. Deckbuilders are good. Mage Knight is brilliant but I'd never dare explain it to others. Mage Wars is brilliant but no one plays it with me.

I have my eye on the following:
Kingsburg
Space Alert
Space Cadets
Terra Mystica
Seasons
Robinson Crusoe (I play A LOT of games alone)
Galaxy Trucker
Rune Age
Small World
Arkham Horror (I know I have Elder Sign and it isn't exactly a 30 minute game but I play A LOT solo. At least 1 game per day. The old roleplayer in me and the fact that many boardgames have replaced my video game playing...I don't mind sitting with some depth and detail).

I think something that can play fast (under 1hr) but with possible solo potential to play longer (I'll sit for 3hrs by myself) and with enough depth to please my chess like mentality to planning and strategy but not so crazy that it turns my wife and 8yr old away. Any of the above or something else entirely? One thing for certain is I want to be careful of too many games that 'scratch the same itch' so to speak. My ENTIRE game list above was purchases since Sept 2012. Yep...thats all of those within about 5 months. I need to purchase a bit more logically now.[/b]

Thanks for reading my latest novel..
- Richard
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoity Toity
Eketorp
Norenberc
Last Will
Santiago

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ritz
United States
Kelseyville
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Kingsburg thinking it would be a great one for the family, but there really isn't any pay off at the end (like scoring points in Ticket to Ride). All along you score points, but there are so many rounds and phases, there really isn't any drama to it. We like it well enough, but maybe shouldn't be your very next purchase.

Small World is great... love that one.

I just played Isla Dorada and it is a very competative game that your family may like. Based on a bidding mechanic, with a high element of mess with others, this game is lots of fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Rich
msg tools
Thanks a bunch for the replies and if you read it all. It is kind of my intro to the community as well so that is why its quite lengthy. Again, I appreciate it.

Boardgaming has...well I don't want to say replaced, but it has become the staple for my entertainment. I'm a dude with a BA in video games (if that explains my passion for gaming) that has every game system, finished Call of Duties the day I bought them and leveled - let's not talk about it - in all MMOs. I've also DM'd, created stuff for and played extensively for 20yrs, dozens of roleplaying games.

For boardgames to have replaced most of that, itshould speak volumes, especially in a 5 month period. I'm passionate about it - especially the fact of sitting down with my family, staring face to face. It means the world to me, so again, thank you for sharing my enthusiasm and taking the time to offer suggestions!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Rich
msg tools
I was also thinking about K2? Seems to be my type of game from watching videos/reading comments. I'm a fitness professional and I'm always into various extreme fitness things so maybe the appeal to my away from the table hobbies will link well?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theritzes wrote:
I recently bought Kingsburg thinking it would be a great one for the family, but there really isn't any pay off at the end (like scoring points in Ticket to Ride). All along you score points, but there are so many rounds and phases, there really isn't any drama to it. We like it well enough, but maybe shouldn't be your very next purchase.


+1. I'm lazy so here's a cut and paste from my initial play of the game from this past weekend.

Quote:
Two biggest cons is that having 18 places to place dice feeds into the random factor determining who wins. If you keep rolling 7-10 between three dice, there's not a whole lot you can do. We had a run away winner and he said the strategy is simply roll high.

Second con looks like very low replay ability. When all said and done it is still a battle of VP and the highest pathway is with the top row on each player board. Second highest is the second row and similarly down the line. This means the path to victory is rather well laid out with no real further investigation. The monsters attacking balances the VP march to a point, but not enough by itself.

I liked this quite a bit despite the lower scoring. It just needs tighter choices with the dice placement and more diverse player boards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gillette
United States
Battle Ground
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Season and alien frontier and decent 2.0
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons came to mind before I even read your "thinking about" list.

Oh, and, is that a large number of games to buy in that number of months? Seems normal. Been buying at that rate for 6 years when we started.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Evo (dinosaur survival ... better than Small World)
Tobago (adventure style game)
Riff Raff (a great dexterity game for the whole family)
Dice Town (a great western themed family game)
... you should consider getting a racing game too ...
Snow Tails or Powerboats would foot the bill ... but probably the best Family friendly game would be Long Shot
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Looking at your list, you seem to already have all of the good co-ops and a lot of "gamer" games.

What about something light for the wife and kids?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Rich
msg tools
Maybe seasons? How about small world? We do have other games like blokus, word on the street and a printed version of Jaipur. Kids don't tend to like those though. I'd like to find something like king of Tokyo, our hands down best overall game without being similar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Small World and Galaxy Trucker
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World is good, and the family will probably like it as well.

I like Rune Age so I will recommend that, quite a lot of variety.

If you like solo play have a look at Runebound as well, but don't play it with too many people, it takes too long.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Second con looks like very low replay ability. When all said and done it is still a battle of VP and the highest pathway is with the top row on each player board. Second highest is the second row and similarly down the line. This means the path to victory is rather well laid out with no real further investigation. The monsters attacking balances the VP march to a point, but not enough by itself.

I liked this quite a bit despite the lower scoring. It just needs tighter choices with the dice placement and more diverse player boards.

I'm inclined to agree that Kingsburg isn't a great family game. However, in my handful of plays, I have found it far from scripted. The other rows allow you to be far more efficient, building an engine, such as it is. Getting those +1's on military allows you to gain extra resources with your dice. The expansion does add alternate rows for the player boards, so even if I'm wrong, that would be a solution. The expansion also gives players much more control over the annual battles, in a way that many people claim is necessary, but which I merely think is "very nice".

Rune Age is not bad if you want a deck management (deckbuilding) game with lots of pvp attacks. If you like it, you'll almost certainly want the expansion. I was disappointed that there is no Dominion-like low-interaction scenario. I am enjoying exploring both the solo and co-op modes, but don't know if I will end up deciding that I like either, or both, or neither.

My impression is that Terra Mystica is quite a bit heavier than your other "family" games. I could be wrong.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll like Seasons a lot and then I'm thinking Galaxy Trucker, too. I think they'll both go over well with the family and you'll get a kick out of them, too.

One thing... I keep hearing that Seasons isn't so great as a 4p game. We have only played 2 and 3p games and we really enjoy them so I don't know about 4p personally.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I'm inclined to agree that Kingsburg isn't a great family game. However, in my handful of plays, I have found it far from scripted. The other rows allow you to be far more efficient, building an engine, such as it is. Getting those +1's on military allows you to gain extra resources with your dice. The expansion does add alternate rows for the player boards, so even if I'm wrong, that would be a solution. The expansion also gives players much more control over the annual battles, in a way that many people claim is necessary, but which I merely think is "very nice".


I think three of the four players hit the top three rows. I and another guy completed the third row and the guy who won completed the first. In terms of the base game, the strategy is rather straightforward.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg - great family game. I agree that the main problem with the game is the runaway leader problem. If someone gets a lead it is very difficult to catch them. So you need to make sure you stay within striking distance. But the board is so beautiful....It is a pleasure to play. You may want to try it before you buy it.

If you like Ticket to Ride, you might want to consider Airlines Europe. It's similar to ticket to ride, but you don't 'own' any color. You can build any color.....and then you buy stock. So you try to build on airlines where you think you will hold the most stock at the end of the game. It adds one level of complexity to Ticket to Ride. Personally I prefer Ticket to Ride, but my daughter annouced Airline Europe was her favorite game after one play.

Agricola - Why not play the greatest game ever created??

Catan - There's a reason it's a classic. Pick up a used copy and enjoy. Great family game. Easy, relatively quick. The dice rolls are great.

Bohnanza - Great card game. High energy. Moves quickly. Good for non-gamers.

Also, where are you located in Arizona? If you're near Chandler (I live near Chandler Blvd & Rural Road), just geek mail me if you would be interested in a game swap. I've done it with 2 folks from BGG and had a good experience both times. Here's the thread that describes the concept: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8268800#8268800
If you're like me (I have 4 kids) and you don't have time to game outside the home, it's a good way to get access to other games without forking out the cash to buy them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I think three of the four players hit the top three rows. I and another guy completed the third row and the guy who won completed the first. In terms of the base game, the strategy is rather straightforward.

Sorry, but making that claim based on just one game seems...um...I'll say..."premature", rather than one of the less kind words that popped into my head. A quick browse through the Strategies forum seems to confirm my belief that there are multiple viable strategies.

Again, I don't think it's the best choice for the OP. And I'm not a Kingsburg fanboy (I rate it a 7).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Earl
Thailand
Koh Samui
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would recommend Fresco. The theme works really well and my family love it. We also like Stone Age and regardless of what others may say we find the two games very different.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Nexus Ops.

Not so fun solo, though.

Let's see, 60 minutes or less, soloable, chess-like.

Have you looked at Dungeon Twister?

Edit: might turn the 8-year-old away. Mine enjoyed it at that age, but YMMV.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Leaping Lemmings and Feudality work for us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaxpants wrote:
I would recommend Fresco. The theme works really well and my family love it. We also like Stone Age and regardless of what others may say we find the two games very different.


I agree. Frescois a great family game and its nothing like Stone Age.

Suburbia would be a good one for the family if you want a new title. I would get this before Tierra Mystica.


Kingdom Builder is a fun light game even the wife would enjoy.

To be honest though, you have a huge list of games since September. Many of those you have bought are excellent family games. Be careful of pushing too many too soon on them. The real answer to "What does my family need next?" is time to absorb the games you have already bought.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Rich
msg tools
pfctsqr wrote:
To be honest though, you have a huge list of games since September. Many of those you have bought are excellent family games. Be careful of pushing too many too soon on them. The real answer to "What does my family need next?" is time to absorb the games you have already bought.


Well said. Honestly, a bunch of my games, easily more than half, have not been given a fair chance. They haven't seen much playtime. That would be the logical thing to do.

The constant search and almost need stems from how I have embraced the hobby. I give myself about a $60 budget each month for boardgames, etc. That is ALL I spend any money on (other than fitness stuff but thats my job). Boardgame money is what used to be spent on CCGs, video games. Heck, I don't even have TV anymore. I guess I am used to buying a video game, finishing it within 2-3 weeks, rinse and repeat. Your words are noted though. I will still most likely get a game or two here and there but I certainly need to give the ones I have more playtime and enjoy what I already have.

thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gnomewerks wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
To be honest though, you have a huge list of games since September. Many of those you have bought are excellent family games. Be careful of pushing too many too soon on them. The real answer to "What does my family need next?" is time to absorb the games you have already bought.


Well said. Honestly, a bunch of my games, easily more than half, have not been given a fair chance. They haven't seen much playtime. That would be the logical thing to do.

The constant search and almost need stems from how I have embraced the hobby. I give myself about a $60 budget each month for boardgames, etc. That is ALL I spend any money on (other than fitness stuff but thats my job). Boardgame money is what used to be spent on CCGs, video games. Heck, I don't even have TV anymore. I guess I am used to buying a video game, finishing it within 2-3 weeks, rinse and repeat. Your words are noted though. I will still most likely get a game or two here and there but I certainly need to give the ones I have more playtime and enjoy what I already have.

thanks!


That happens to most of us when we first get into the hobby anyway. Some of us never slow down; you'll see people here with massive collections. It really is good to get multiple plays out of your games though. Some of them get really really interesting the more you play and others will become stale quickly.

In any case, enjoy the obsession and, if you're like me, you'll become more focused in your searches and more discriminating in your buying as you figure out what games are more likely to work with your gaming group.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.