Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Panzer Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: CAT attacks against a stack of units, only one of which is dispersed - DRM? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When attacking an enemy unit which is dispersed, the attacker gets a -1 DRM bonus. This is easy to apply when attacking a single enemy unit, such as with direct fire. However, what about when conducting a CAT attack against an enemy stack of two or more units, where only some, but not all of the enemy units are dispersed? Since the target stack is attacked as a single defender, the defending stack is composed of a mixture of both dispersed and undispersed units. In such a case, does the attacker get the -1 DRM? I'd say no, unless all of the units in the defending stack are dispersed at the time of the attack.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rulebook to hand, but I think you apply the DRM to the one unit only. So, if your diceroll gives a D, and the diceroll with the -1 DRM gives a DD, the undispersed units become dispersed and the dispersed unit gets destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say...

The CRT only talks about a single dispersed unit and I did not find anything in the Q&A doc. Will have to throw it at the people on CSW

EDIT:

Quote:
I don't have the rulebook to hand, but I think you apply the DRM to the one unit only. So, if your diceroll gives a D, and the diceroll with the -1 DRM gives a DD, the undispersed units become dispersed and the dispersed unit gets destroyed.

This is plausible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Hard to say...

The CRT only talks about a single dispersed unit and I did not find anything in the Q&A doc. Will have to throw it at the people on CSW

EDIT:

Quote:

This is plausible...

Yeah, I agree - I could see this working. I'll still be interested to see what the people over at CSW have to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The same, together with a house rule... So we have the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Henderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thinking (and I posted this on CSW as well) is that these situations are usually resolved in favor of the defender. Hence, I would not apply the DRM if the attacker was attacking the entire stack (via CAT or otherwise). But I would apply it if only the individual unit was being attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pugbuddy wrote:
My thinking (and I posted this on CSW as well) is that these situations are usually resolved in favor of the defender. Hence, I would not apply the DRM if the attacker was attacking the entire stack (via CAT or otherwise). But I would apply it if only the individual unit was being attacked.

For the record, that's how we played it on Monday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Kahlbaum
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way our group resolves this situation is as follows:

1) Determine the total defense factor for the entire stack (dispersed + undispersed units).
2) Determine the total defense factor for only the dispersed units in the stack.
3) Divide the total dispersed defense factor by the total defense factor.
4) If the result is more than 50%, then the -1 DRM is applied to the entire stack, otherwise it is not.

This approach seems logical and realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.