Hide
14 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can I upgrade a starbase without the starbase tech? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul J
msg tools
So I know I can't build a starbase without the starbase tech, but can I upgrade the blueprint? I might want to do this if I am planning/hoping to get the tech but am not ready to take it yet, e.g. I need to wait a turn to earn some more science, or I'm waiting for the tile to be drawn. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pjungwir wrote:
So I know I can't build a starbase without the starbase tech, but can I upgrade the blueprint? I might want to do this if I am planning/hoping to get the tech but am not ready to take it yet, e.g. I need to wait a turn to earn some more science, or I'm waiting for the tile to be drawn. What do you think?
I think either I'm misunderstanding your question, or you're misunderstanding the rules.

You can't take an upgrade tile unless you've already researched the appropriate tech. You don't pay anything to take upgrades (you already paid the cost when you researched the technology). And you can't move an upgrade from one ship blueprint to another.

So your question, as it stands, doesn't make any sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian L
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes, you can upgrade the starbase blueprint even if you haven't researched it yet. It's not really a benefit to you until you do research the tech. I do not have the rules in front of me however, and I'm not 100% on this. Thematically I guess it would make more sense not to be able to upgrade until you have the technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul J
msg tools
Thanks @Fabian!

@Trevor: Please read the question again. I'm asking: If I'm missing the starbase tech, can I use techs that I do have to place upgrade tiles on the starbase blueprint? (Heck, I could even place upgrade tiles that don't require new tech, like another regular hull.)

I'm not sure why you brought up either paying to place upgrade tiles or moving upgrade tiles between blueprints. I didn't say anything about either of those.

Anyway, thanks for your reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pjungwir wrote:

By the rules, yes, you can.

It doesn't make thematic sense, thou... the authors might have overlooked this possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Engle
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
endou_kenji wrote:

It doesn't make thematic sense, thou...

Really? You're unable to imagine a military/industrial/research complex spending time and money designing a super advanced awesome weapons platform that may never actually be buildable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris I-B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rules allow you to upgrade the Starbase blueprint before you have the Starbase technology.

Thematically the way I see it is that the research is going into the design of the massive infrastructure needed to build a battle station of that nature. Interceptors, Cruisers, and Dreadnoughts can all be built using the same orbital drydock, but a Starbase requires some kind of additional infrastructure before it can be built. You can design what you *want* the Starbase to be when it's built, but you just don't have the technology to make it a reality yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can upgrade your starbases. I don't think there is anything in the rules stating you need the starbase tech to do the upgrade. It is a gamble, but there are quite a few starbase techs in the game.

Thematically, I see nothing wromg with this. You can design everything but the one key technology that allows you to make a sustainable starbase. That starbase could a cookie cutter version, or the already upgraded version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes you can and see the tech more like the refineries and stuff for being able to build it and not only as knowledgs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Pescia
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't see why it should not make sense thematically.

"We have to increase our defense"
"We should build an immobile defense station"
"Hmm, how about a Starbase with Ion Cannons"
"Here we have a design of that Starbase x-01"
.. time passes and Plasma Cannons are invented
"Hey, let's replace our Starbase Blue Print to implement
Plasma Cannons instead of Ion Cannons.."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Campbell
Canada
Banff
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, considering that some of the races start with the tech, and the 7 are are all members of the counsel, it's conceivable that the blueprints for a workable starbase design are in circulation throughout the galaxy. Like others said though, maybe there's a crucial component that has been purposefully left out (building platform, power generator, life support system, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. OK. I give in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Icelom The awsome
msg tools
endou_kenji wrote:
pjungwir wrote:

By the rules, yes, you can.

It doesn't make thematic sense, thou... the authors might have overlooked this possibility.

It makes complete thematic sense... The star base is being designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just have to be very, very careful that the plans don't fall into rebel hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.