Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shadow Vault Stream Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a monster standing on the Stream space closest to the River's Edge, may a hero swim to the closest available stream space?

If so, what if the OL has blocked all four stream spaces?

I ask because of the ambiguity in the Quest Log language:

Quest Guide for Shadow Vault wrote:
"As an action, a figure may swim from any of the water spaces on the River's Edge tile to the water space on the near edge of the Stream tile."


However, it goes on to say:
Quest Guide for Shadow Vault wrote:
"...he moves to a water space on the Stream tile closest to the River's Edge."


Note the bolded language.

On one hand, there are many times in the game where figures move to the closet empty space to the target space. On the other hand, the language always says as much when that is true.

Thoughts? this has been discussed before (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10534829#10534829) but no one had a definitive answer.

Can we ask teh game devs?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Can we ask teh game devs?


Ha ha ... yes, I believe that would be allowed

Go on, take the bull by the proverbial horns and put this puppy to rest!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
minksling wrote:
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Can we ask teh game devs?


Ha ha ... yes, I believe that would be allowed

Go on, take the bull by the proverbial horns and put this puppy to rest!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp



I didn't know that feature existed. Thanks! I submitted a question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, our group determined that the hero would go to the closest river tile available; so if the first two were occupied the figure would go to the third tile... And if they were all blocked, then you couldn't jump down... Which even kind of makes sense thematically...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
emproc1346 wrote:
If I recall correctly, our group determined that the hero would go to the closest river tile available; so if the first two were occupied the figure would go to the third tile... And if they were all blocked, then you couldn't jump down... Which even kind of makes sense thematically...


Actually, this does not. This rewards the heroes if the OL blocks the firs two spaces because it places the hero 2 spaces closer to the waterfall than if the OL had not blocked the spaces in the first place. A more thematic solution would be to allow the hero to "wash up on the shore" on the land squares next to the northern-most stream square.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.M. Proc
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
emproc1346 wrote:
If I recall correctly, our group determined that the hero would go to the closest river tile available; so if the first two were occupied the figure would go to the third tile... And if they were all blocked, then you couldn't jump down... Which even kind of makes sense thematically...


Actually, this does not. This rewards the heroes if the OL blocks the firs two spaces because it places the hero 2 spaces closer to the waterfall than if the OL had not blocked the spaces in the first place. A more thematic solution would be to allow the hero to "wash up on the shore" on the land squares next to the northern-most stream square.


Well, I was thinking of it more as "I'm swimming down the river, and holy christ(!) there are monsters here... I think I'll keep swimming until I get to a place where there aren't things that want to kill me..." rather than just being "blocked" per se...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When my group played it, we played it so that blocking the water space blocked movement down the river. Then, because the quest was taking way too long anyway, I moved the monster out of the way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard back from the game developers and the answer is that you place the heroes on the empty space closest to the northern-most space on the stream.

In short, the OL can not block swimmers.

I have posted the full Q&A here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11207151#11207151

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.