mbmbmbmbmb
Every Tuesday night,
Bill Desmarais
United States
Andover
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and I play board games online. Often it's been War of the Ring (Second Edition), lately there's been some Twilight Struggle, but one game we have played a ton of, and keep coming back to, is Chris Gibbs' excellent online adaptation of Puerto Rico, Tropic Euro.

The only problem we have with Tropic Euro is that it's hard to get games with live players. That might be because it comes with a terrific AI that is very fun to play against. Recently Mr. Gibbs introduced ELO-style rankings, and we've been really dying to get some ranked games in with real players.

The game is easy to figure out, and because it's written in Java works well on any platform. So, here's my invitation to you -- head over to http://www.tropiceuro.com/, download the game, log on, and look for us this Tuesday night. I'm "elmward" over there. We usually start around 8 or 8:30 PM eastern time.

Other than a light re-theming, the only difference from Puerto Rico is that it includes the corn player money reduction (they start with $300, the equivalent of 3 doubloons, in a 5-player game), and the factory and university's prices are switched.

If you'd like to meet us, feel free to post here so we know to look for you. See you in the tropics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't you know it, the first week I post about this I am stuck at work late. I most likely will not be on tonight, unless it's pretty late (after 9 PM eastern for sure).

We will try again tomorrow night, but Tuesday is our usual night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does this take to play? I haven't tried this adaptation, and I go into work pretty early. If it's fairly quick I would be up for a game occasionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twood1972 wrote:
How long does this take to play? I haven't tried this adaptation, and I go into work pretty early. If it's fairly quick I would be up for a game occasionally.

When it's two of us versus three computer opponents, we get through a game in around 15-20 minutes. The more people the slower it will be, but it will still be much faster than playing puerto rico in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gibbs
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:
The only problem we have with Tropic Euro is that it's hard to get games with live players. That might be because it comes with a terrific AI that is very fun to play against. Recently Mr. Gibbs introduced ELO-style rankings, and we've been really dying to get some ranked games in with real players.

I'm working on a really simple guided tutorial at the moment, aimed at people who are completely new to Puerto Rico / Tropic Euro - when this is done it should hopefully lead to a big increase in the number of users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.