Hide
4 Posts

Chronicle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing without Event cards. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ryan sung
msg tools
I like the idea of being able to play with JUST the character cards, similar to a regular deck of cards. The number 36 cards in a deck also almost makes it perfect for 2, 3, 4, or 6 players.

Sure event cards make it exciting (new goals, new flips and turns, but what if there was a vanilla variant where you DON'T have to go through events and just simply play to get the most allies in the end?

NOTHING MUCH WILL BE CHANGED. I have ONLY GOTTEN RID OF THE EVENT DECK.
So with that being said;
here is my variant:

2-6 players

The objective of the game is to get as many allies as possible. If you have an evil card among your allies, you do not win, and the person with the next most highest amount of allies win. Following the objective of the game, the player with 3 victory points win after playing round after rounds.

I made it so you can win all 3 victory points (win automatically) if you manage to get all devil evil cards in your possession by the end of the round, instead of winning just 2 victory points. This is because getting all 4 evil cards is hard enough already, and I made the objective to win automatically so that players who are totally behind, can have a chance to win as well.

The Cards and Rules play the same as usual.

As someone mentioned on the variants board here: The Sage is allowed to take a card from the discard pile and add it to your hand. This allows for more complicated play with the Sage, making him up to par with the other wilds, AND allowing whoever wants to collect evils to win easier.

Also, I can't just make it so discarding evils will be impossible, because people will WANT to discard evil. But I want to make it so collecting evils, or you having one or two evils isn't the end of the world for you. There is also not enough discard pile synergy to have more strategy.

Therefore,
The 6 character: "Take one of your allies and add it to your hand", is now "Take one of your allies or a card from the discard pile and add it to your hand.
AND
The 9 character: "Choose a card from your hand and add it to your allies", is now "Choose a card from your hand or discard pile, and add it to your allies"

There will be more synergy with the discard pile, and more effective play strategies. Example 1: Playing a 6 will now let you be able to take a Dragon for a second spin, or retrieve a evil back in the game.
Example 2: Playing a 9 will allow you to get a Angel that might have been discarded, and eliminate all your evil allies preventing you from winning.

So with this, people may try to aim for the evils more competitively, and with more incentive. It may help them succeed easier, or may screw them up by having 1-3 evils in their allies, preventing them from winning at all.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dont know without event cards seems a little underpower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryan sung
msg tools
thanks for the reply but can you explain what you think about it? how is the game underpowered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wilds makes the game to be more aggresive and to keep a hidden power for your self if the game its not in your favor at some points.

History cards add more goals each round.

King=i dont have high numbers in my hand but i can use king to win.
demon= a little more as above
dragon= i want to discard those cards in order to avoid using them again.
fairy=steal some good ally for myself
angel=if im not gona avoid take bad cards this card is gona be kept in my hand until the end
fool=helps a lot if the history card is who have the least blue cards and you have 3 blue cards and want to get rid of them or who have the most blue and use it on an enemy.

I add some extra cards my self

for each suite
0=discard this card and the winning card
11=you cant use the ability of the next card played in this meeting
12=you can take one discard card to your allies.

and 3 wilds
emperor=take to your hand one previous card that have been placed in the meeting
nightwatch=if you have cards in your hand,select one and each player gives you one card from their hand,select one for you and give random the other cards to each player who give you one.
muse=take to your hand one discarded card.

48 total cards.

and always play with 2 history cards and with teams of 2 players each team.

Its more balance and plays more smart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.