Subject: Why can cities only collect on one water space? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian,
I've been wondering this for a while now: why the rule that cities (with Fishing) can only collect food from one adjacent water space?

It seems like a strange limitation from a thematic perspective, so I've got to think that this was a problem in playtesting. Too easy to get food?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
r0gershrubber wrote:
Christian,
I've been wondering this for a while now: why the rule that cities (with Fishing) can only collect food from one adjacent water space?

It seems like a strange limitation from a thematic perspective, so I've got to think that this was a problem in playtesting. Too easy to get food?

Hehe... Actually its 95% a thematic rule. Historically agriculture has always been more effecient, and once agriculture started - civilization started. Fishing is a nice bonus and fishing also provided rare and hard to get food items - good for trade (gold )

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please allow me to use this topic for a similar question: why did you choose not to include medecine in the developments? Personally I would have liked better Medicine in place of Chemistry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Please allow me to use this topic for a similar question: why did you choose not to include medecine in the developments? Personally I would have liked better Medecine in place of Chemistry!

[edit] I remember now. I think it was because I regarded Medicine as a more modern science. I know full well that Medicine has been used in the ancient world and medieval times with varrying success, but medical science felt more recent. However the same could be said about actual chemistry, so its just a choice I had to make - and thinking about it now, Medicine would have been cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, then for penence devise an ability for Medicine, and I'll replace my Chemistry with it

EDIT after reading your edited comment: of course, as other abilities, the ability is for medicine in the ancient times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me but I was pretty sure the rules are specific about only deploying ships to one certain hex, but nothing about only collecting resources from a single sea space.

Am I playing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wylde_karde wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me but I was pretty sure the rules are specific about only deploying ships to one certain hex, but nothing about only collecting resources from a single sea space.

Am I playing wrong?

It's the Fishing advance that specifies one space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishing: it's on the board: Your cities may “Collect” Food from one adjacent Sea space [emphasis on the board]
Port: p.6 top right:
(requires the “Fishing” advance)
• City may “Build” Ships
• “Fishing” advance: City may “Collect” one Gold or one Mood token from a single adjacent Sea space instead of Food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds definitive to me.

Good thing I only played 1.5 learning games by myself.

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wylde_karde wrote:
That sounds definitive to me.

Good thing I only played 1.5 learning games by myself.

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

Just in case it isn't clear enough, and since you're preparing to teach this game, I'll add:

When you build ships they go in a specific hex-- the one your port is touching.

When you collect, you can collect from any one water hex adjacent to the hex the city is on. This might be the same one as your port, or it might be next to it, or in a completely different lake/sea that happens to also be adjacent to your city.

This difference matters when enemy boats exist near your cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
r0gershrubber wrote:
Christian,

Hehe... Actually its 95% a thematic rule. Historically agriculture has always been more effecient, and once agriculture started - civilization started. Fishing is a nice bonus and fishing also provided rare and hard to get food items - good for trade (gold :))

Have fun :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I think that whether a civilization has relied more on agriculture or fishing has depended on its geography and climate.

As a related question, do you think game balance would be upset much by allowing cities to collect from more than one water space (provided the port's gold bonus was limited to one space)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
r0gershrubber wrote:
marqzen wrote:
r0gershrubber wrote:
Christian,

Hehe... Actually its 95% a thematic rule. Historically agriculture has always been more effecient, and once agriculture started - civilization started. Fishing is a nice bonus and fishing also provided rare and hard to get food items - good for trade (gold )

Have fun

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I think that whether a civilization has relied more on agriculture or fishing has depended on its geography and climate.

As a related question, do you think game balance would be upset much by allowing cities to collect from more than one water space (provided the port's gold bonus was limited to one space)?

I don't think it would ruin the balance as it would be equal for all. But I think it may make it a tad too easy to get resources. Right now I feel it’s just the right place by being flexible without becoming irrelevant. So proceed with caution

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishing is already competing for your FIRST advance chioce (with Irrigation).

I wouldn't make it more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.