United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A dad and his 11-year-old daughter.
Jan 28, 2013.

Tonight, my 11-year-old daughter came to me and said: "Let's play Qwirkle!" It was unexpected and since I rarely turn down an invitation to a board game, I said: "You're on!" Wow, was I in for a surprise.

At any rate, we pulled out the game. Because it's a game we don't play that frequently, I have the following 4 statements written on the outside cover of the rule book---for a quick refresher:

1) Draw 6 to Start
2) Qwirkle is +6
3) Use all tiles first +6
4) Game ends when one player goes out.

So we started. It seemed to be a pretty normal game of Qwirkle at first. After 5 turns, I was down by 14 points. I was a little frustrated. Then I noticed that my daughter was getting all the Qwirkles. I started noting the number of Qwirkles we each got.

Long story short....the final score was 213 to 149...she had beat me by 64 points. We've never had a blow out like that before. The amazing thing was that she had 12 Quirkles to my one!!! What are the odds of that??

My duagher's comment after the game; "It was all skill!"

At any rate, it was a great session. Lots of fun....especially for my daughter! See photo below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, I love the picture!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie Bowers
msg tools
mbmbmb
Good for both of you for playing and especially your daughter . Nice photo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this happen to me before. When I'm playing competitively it's incredibly frustrating. I like losing if afterward I can imagine things I might have done to win. But my sense with Qwirkle is that bad draws can screw you so bad that it precludes any chance of winning. Maybe with more experience I'll find it's not true, but for now that's what it feels like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.