Subject: Zombies!!! A Second Slice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
The file for this rule replacement.
A review by me.
A strategy Guide for second slice play.

This is a complete re-write of the base game rules. It uses many ideas found on this forum and quite a few of my own. It makes no reference to or allowance for any of the expansions.

Humans can be turned into zombies. Humans win by getting to the helicopter. Zombies win by converting all players to zombies and having the most trophies at game end.

Zombie trophies allow humans to go into a frenzy which gives them extra moves and combat (but not victory).

The zombie trophies allow the player with the most, human or zombie, to place the helipad.

Zombie players can drain trophies from human players to their own collection.

Way less dice rolling with dice rolls being retained only for combat.

There is a fair bit more. The game has been play tested a fair bit over the last five weeks with 2 to 6 players and appears to give a tight play with a fair bit of tension building toward the end game.

---

An interesting issue just came up in a two player game.

One player draw the chopper. The other player was in the next tile and had more trophies so connected it to their tile. The current player, yellow, used "This isn't so bad" to move the uber zombie onto the black players position. The yellow player then didn't quite make it to the chopper and moved as many zombies as possible into black's path.

Now black had the Adrenaline Rush card and enough trophies for a frenzy condition. With five life tokens that would give black plenty of frenzy tokens to have a more than even chance of fighting to the chopper. However black was also defenseless, so being surprised by the uber zombie meant certain death and conversion to zombie status.

The rules as I wrote them have the frenzy condition and the adrenaline rush card both come into effect at the beginning of the movement step, after the surprised by zombies step.

So, do you think it is better, play wise or theme wise, to move the play of the card and the condition check to before the surprise step or leave it where it is, making surprise a gotcha for defenseless characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the 7 player session the players automatically assumed that the frenzy check happened before being surprised by a zombie. This seems to be a natural choice so I shall make it so.

It does make the characters going into a frenzy pretty tough although Chris also got lucky with some top notch event cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded version 3 of the file. Only some minor rule changes to give the zombie players a bit more to do. Also fixed up the event card descriptions to include some references to expansion locations.

I'll be bringing out 2nd Slice files for some of the expansions soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just released the 2nd slice rules for Zombies!!! 2: Zombie Corps(e). It has Cut Out Jeeps!!! so hurry before the downloads run out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 4 of the variant rules released.

The fourth version modifies zombie play to make player zombies more active and to allow more competition over becoming top zombie. Players lose trophies when they become a zombie, and zombie players can force immediate combat between humans and zombies on their turn. Zombies players no longer get eliminated from play. I have also added a completed “general rules for expansions” section.

This is likely to be the last new version unless something comes up as I incorporate further expansions.

cheers all zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, something did come up.

In zombie films one of the dramatic moments is when someone is confronted with a zombie that is someone they know, and they kill them.

In 2nd slice, players can end up as zombies. If a human kills a player zombie then there is a trophy exchange before the zombie player is respawned. However that doesn't capture the drama I mentioned above.

To change this the trophy exchange could be altered so that both the zombie and the human lose trophies. In the human that represents a loss of morale, moving the human away from getting a frenzy effect.

Alternately the zombie could lose no trophies but the human does, or the zombie could actually gain trophies.

Perhaps the effect only occurs the first time a player zombie is killed, after which the player is really handling a new zombie that none of the humans knew as a human, but that means keeping track of another status.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And another in quick succession!

The helicopter ending has always been a bit anti-climactic somehow.

The rule is the first player to be on the centre square of the helipad with no zombie present wins.

Here is the proposed new ending: if a human player starts their turn on the centre of the helipad and there is no zombie there then the helicopter takes off with all humans present as shared winners.

I'll be play testing that a bit with shortened games - placing the helipad only about 6 - 10 tiles down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A tense playtest with the new endgame rule.

Blue is buffed and running for the helipad, yellow and green in her wake. Red shuffling behind as a zombie. Blue gets on the helicopter and takes out the uber zombie, but is down to 1 life token and no bullets. She moves zombies away from the helipad. Yellow just hops on and also moves zombies away, then green. Red jumps in and takes on blue, turning her into a zombie. Blue attacks green but is killed and sent off. Yellow, surprised by zombies, quickly succumbs. Green manages to take down red but then dies in a fight with yellow.

Zombies win and red is king of the zombies by 1 trophy more than blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the helicopter rule works even better if only one human can stay in the helicopter. Check this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Helipad Ending and the Tight Set Up incorporated with some tweks into the 5th version of 2nd Slice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, 2nd Slice Mall Walkers is up and away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.