Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play AGOT 1.0 back in the day and loved it. However, my biggest problem was that the game seemed pretty skewed with my usually 3 player group... i.e. in 3 player the Lannister player always got sandwiched in the middle and fought tooth and nail to survive the whole time. Have they fixed this balance issue in 3 players?

Generally how much fun is 3 player play? I have a gaming weekend coming up and trying decide between picking this up or sticking to my old favorite Warrior Knights.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of a situation where I'd ever play a 3 player game of GoT (Either edition) over a better 3 player game.

Stick with WK.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mann
France
Marseille
Marseille
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind hearing replies to Matt's question about AGOT "Have they fixed this balance issue in 3 players?"

So far I've played the game twice, both times 3 player and being realistic I'm never going to get more than a 3 player game. Both games seemed pretty balanced with surprise winning moves on the last turn (Baratheon) and second to last turn (Lannister) wrapping up the games. Maybe the scenario is a tough one for Stark more than Baratheon or even Lannister as the games I played seemed unforgiving of an inexperienced Stark defence... I can't comment on whether it's more balanced for Lannister than the 1st edition though but maybe other users can...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cyrusorc wrote:
I wouldn't mind hearing replies to Matt's question about AGOT "Have they fixed this balance issue in 3 players?"

So far I've played the game twice, both times 3 player and being realistic I'm never going to get more than a 3 player game. Both games seemed pretty balanced with surprise winning moves on the last turn (Baratheon) and second to last turn (Lannister) wrapping up the games. Maybe the scenario is a tough one for Stark more than Baratheon or even Lannister as the games I played seemed unforgiving of an inexperienced Stark defence... I can't comment on whether it's more balanced for Lannister than the 1st edition though but maybe other users can...


Stark is definitely the weakest house in 3 player because he cannot hold the Narrow Sea against Baratheon and Lannister prevent Lannister from gaining access to the Bay of Ice. Unforutnately, Baratheon and Lannister are SOOOOOO far from each other by sea (4 sea zones away in starting areas) that is is impractical for either of them to divide up their fleets, so should they both choose to fight Stark, nothing can be done to prevent it. A possible fix is to join the East and West Summer Sea, which puts Lannister only one zone away from Baratheon once he moves into the Sunset Sea.

Lannister is actually the best house in 3p in my opinion. A defensive network on Stoney Sept is virtually impregnable unless Web of Lies comes in Westeros and that only happens once per game.

I will also say that 3p is my favorite non-6p game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
I used to play AGOT 1.0 back in the day and loved it. However, my biggest problem was that the game seemed pretty skewed with my usually 3 player group... i.e. in 3 player the Lannister player always got sandwiched in the middle and fought tooth and nail to survive the whole time. Have they fixed this balance issue in 3 players?

Generally how much fun is 3 player play? I have a gaming weekend coming up and trying decide between picking this up or sticking to my old favorite Warrior Knights.


It´s a brilliant game and 3p works better than, say, 4 player, but I wouldn´t recommend buying it if you already know you won´t play it with 6. It really doesn´t scale down that well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies. It's good to hear Lannister is powerful in 3 player, they really got the shaft in 1st edition. Maybe I'll give it a try.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
mjd83 wrote:
I used to play AGOT 1.0 back in the day and loved it. However, my biggest problem was that the game seemed pretty skewed with my usually 3 player group... i.e. in 3 player the Lannister player always got sandwiched in the middle and fought tooth and nail to survive the whole time. Have they fixed this balance issue in 3 players?

Generally how much fun is 3 player play? I have a gaming weekend coming up and trying decide between picking this up or sticking to my old favorite Warrior Knights.


It´s a brilliant game and 3p works better than, say, 4 player{...}


I second this opinion - played in 3 and it was actually much interesting than almost all 4-player variants which we tried ( except when we replaced Greyjoy with Martell ).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Thompson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game with 3 players over 10 times. I have won with each house. I think the game is better with 3 players than it is with 4 or 5. Baratheon is the easiest to win with and then I think Stark is 2nd easiest to win with and Lannister would be the most dificult to win with in a 3 player game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
can 3 players play with 2 houses each?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.