9 Posts

Catan: 5-6 Player Extension» Forums » General

Subject: Difference in Luck factor with this expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I am considering to get this extension to play with my parents. I have played Carcassonne, Pandemic (they don't seem to like co-op), Saboteur, Loot, and the latest addition, For Sale.

For Sale seems to hit the right spot, but I could use a lengthier game, and am considering this extension, since I have the base game, getting this would be cheap.

Have considered Bohnanza as well, though after playing half a game, I find it to be slightly boring as seems like players are doing the same thing over and over again.

I have read about the complains of the play time, but is there any difference in luck elements? I like the luck factor in the base game, where in my group, the good player can usually win 75% of the time. This is because I don't want to butcher my parents, this will make them loose interest real fast.

edited: totally missed out the last paragraph which was what I wanted to ask with my subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ykphuah wrote:
I am considering to get this extension to play with my parents. I have played Carcassonne, Pandemic (they don't seem to like co-op), Saboteur, Loot, and the latest addition, For Sale.

For Sale seems to hit the right spot, but I could use a lengthier game, and am considering this extension, since I have the base game, getting this would be cheap.

Have considered Bohnanza as well, though after playing half a game, I find it to be slightly boring as seems like players are doing the same thing over and over again.
FWIW, I find SoC to be "slightly boring" as well. There is skill to SoC, but it's still a bit much luck for my tastes, and games (esp. 5/6p) can really drag on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 6-p Settlers quite often. The luck factor is not too great, and is mitigated by being able to build out of turn (subject to the active player building). I would never say that Settlers drags, as you are both trading and possibly building in each players' turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
We play 6-p Settlers quite often. The luck factor is not too great, and is mitigated by being able to build out of turn (subject to the active player building). I would never say that Settlers drags, as you are both trading and possibly building in each players' turn.
Well, the cases where you don't get any resources, or only 1 or 2, you can't build with that, nor can you trade. Well, you CAN trade once you have 1 or more resources, but it's less likely you can get something out of it, so I've found the "doing something even when it's not your turjn" doesn't always stack up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
Well, the cases where you don't get any resources, or only 1 or 2, you can't build with that, nor can you trade.

You reminded me to look for starting positions for 5-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a 5- or 6- player game of Settlers in quite some time, but I don't recall the play time to be significantly longer -- I always thought those complaints were not justified. It will be longer, but not unexpectedly so (with 2 extra players in the game): the ability to build between turns really helped.

As for luck: probably not much different than the base game. It might feel like a bit less dice-luck since more rolls happen before your turn comes up (and presumably the dice rolls will approach expected returns with more rolls? I don't know, however, how the total number of rolls differ between 3- and 6- player games), and since you have more potential trading partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
snoozefest wrote:
I don't know, however, how the total number of rolls differ between 3- and 6- player games), and since you have more potential trading partners.

Thanks, I believe the luck will be slightly less, as we will have more trading partners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Update, the game is fun to be playable by 6! The game actually moved faster than I thought, and took only 1.5 hours for a 6 player game, I attribute it to the special building phase, and the increased amount of trading partners.

And the luck factor is the same. Politicking is harder with more players though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
See? Just say to all the naysayers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.