Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if the latest version of the rulebook was available for download. I've watched many of the video reviews and read soem really good reviews (One could be used a rules guide I think). I just wanted to look at a few things before I could weight the cost vs. enjoyment of the game.

On that note... I didn't see any reference to Line Of Sight in any of the reviews I've looked at to this point. Is there a LOS rule (ie. You can't shoot through that building)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no LOS rule. Nothing blocks line of sight in the basic game. Your ability to see an opponent is driven by a soldiers sight range (X squares) and the Look modifiers on the squares between him and the target.
However, once you bring the 3D terrain into the game, the height of a piece of terrain could block your line of sight. Each level of the 3D terrain has a Climb value. Roughly the rule is if the Climb value between you and your target is 4 or more than the level of either you or the target, LOS is blocked.
I forgot to mention that the latest version of the rule book (1.72) is available in the Files portion of SMG BBG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
A link, for your convenience: SMG Rules Upgrade, v 1.72.

Please note that the grenades rules on page 18 have apparently changed as a result of discussions in the forums here (the throwing player now checks for Blast hits). Presumably this will be updated in the next version of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banor58 wrote:
There is no LOS rule. Nothing blocks line of sight in the basic game. Your ability to see an opponent is driven by a soldiers sight range (X squares) and the Look modifiers on the squares between him and the target.
However, once you bring the 3D terrain into the game, the height of a piece of terrain could block your line of sight. Each level of the 3D terrain has a Climb value. Roughly the rule is if the Climb value between you and your target is 4 or more than the level of either you or the target, LOS is blocked.

It would seem to me that buildings would block LOS. I think back to my Squad Leader days (loved that game) when buildings were considered 1 or 2 level obstacles. I could see a look penalty if you were in a building, but it seems like if you were behind the building you shouldn't be able to see/spot/shoot them.

Any idea what the rationale is for no LOS for things like buildings. Don't they also have add on buildings (similar to Hasty Positions) that are added to the boards and also represent a height dimension?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hart

Rockford
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rules link... Time to check this out a little further....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hartm wrote:
Banor58 wrote:

It would seem to me that buildings would block LOS. I think back to my Squad Leader days (loved that game) when buildings were considered 1 or 2 level obstacles. I could see a look penalty if you were in a building, but it seems like if you were behind the building you shouldn't be able to see/spot/shoot them.

Any idea what the rationale is for no LOS for things like buildings. Don't they also have add on buildings (similar to Hasty Positions) that are added to the boards and also represent a height dimension?

The buildings will have a Climb value, as with other things like Look, Hide, Shoot, Move, just like Hasty Positions pieces.

The way LOS (which will include shoot and look)is if the cumulative Climb number of the terrain piece is 4 or more higher than the level that the highest soldier is that is being checked with LOS. So if one soldier is a regular map tile (level 1) on one side of a building and the enemy soldier is on a regular map tile on the other side of the building, if the Climb value of the building is 5 or higher then LOS will be blocked because the highest soldier involved is on level 1 (they both are) and a Climb value of 5 or higher meets the requirements of being 4 or more than the highest level of one of the soldiers.

For Hasty Positions, there is only one piece that has 3 Climb values of 2 for the base and two higher levels. So in that case, you would use the cumulative Climbs of 2+2+2 for 6 and that would be 4 or more higher than soldier on opposite sides that are on level 1.

From what Jeff mentioned in another thread when I was trying to nail down the LOS rules, I believe I got it right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Out of towering flames and smoke a rumbling, steel demon emerges before me, shaking the ground, rattling all bravado. Fighting a numbing cold grip of terror on my spine, I yield to desperate muscle-memory, collapsing into a rigid crouch, snap-firing.
mbmbmbmbmb
A new and completely current rulebook is at the very top of my SMG wishlist for this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R M Chair General wrote:
A new and completely current rulebook is at the very top of my SMG wishlist for this year.

Yeah, the exact ruling for LOS with examples using the buildings/bunkers in there would be great, as well as the combat contact clarification with examples etc. (that was a mess of a thread).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.