Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Damaged card (Cook). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi there.

Well, the problem is that in the last game we played, Cook´s card reveived a massive shower of coke and got pretty badly damaged. I carefully cleaned the card, put some books on it and let it lay under them for a whole weekend, and now the card is usable, although you can notice that it´s damaged.

a) is it possible to get another english Cook card from the publisher? (I am spanish but I have the english version and I don´t want to buy the spanish one)
b) is it very relevant to know when the card is going to show up in the game. I can use the card but the problem is that since it has been damaged you can easily know its position in the deck, is it that important for the game purposes?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very relevant to know when he's coming. You need a replacement if it shows up in the stack (IMO).

You should hit up the publisher. Often they are kind with situations like this. Offer to buy a replacement directly from them and see how they can help you.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your best bet might be to sleeve the cards so that face down the damage can't be seen. That way you have no idea when Cook is coming.

I presume that cards are printed as whole decks so a spare Cook would be hard to find, although another Geek user may have a spare from a damaged set or whatever - you might be lucky.

Remember the First Commandment :-

NEVER ALLOW FOOD OR DRINK AT THE GAMING TABLE!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both, I will try to sleeve them.

Another idea, would be to mark lighty one of the yellow cards and set apart my damaged Cook one. When the yellow appears in play then play the Cook one inmediatly after it. It is kinda weird, but if the sleeves don´t work and there are no replacement I guess this is my best option, since I mainly play the game online and don´t want to spend 60 euros (apart from this problem my game is pristine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gelete wrote:

Another idea, would be to mark lighty one of the yellow cards and set apart my damaged Cook one. When the yellow appears in play then play the Cook one inmediatly after it. It is kinda weird, but if the sleeves don´t work and there are no replacement I guess this is my best option, since I mainly play the game online and don´t want to spend 60 euros (apart from this problem my game is pristine).

If you know that it is the next card than it doesn't matter much, the problem if he is visible in the deck when the age starts. What you can do in this case is just take him out of the deck and put an age I card into the deck. It won't be visible until it is about to be put in the row, and then you just put that card back in the age I deck and you put Cook in the card row.

I agree that the chances to find a replacement Cook card are very slim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bob, I think I am gonna use the first player card, and then when it shows up replace it with the damaged Cook card. Anyway, first I will try to sleeve the cards and may be it will fix the problem.

Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fratloev Fratloev
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelete wrote:

b) is it very relevant to know when the card is going to show up in the game. I can use the card but the problem is that since it has been damaged you can easily know its position in the deck, is it that important for the game purposes?

Yes,I thinkit is relevant to know when Cook comes in play. It is a really good card.
I have sleeved my cards and reprinted all leaders and wonders plus some others. I pick some at random at the begining of the game. So we can guess a leader or wonder arrive but not which one.

You may use this idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fratloev wrote:
Gelete wrote:

Yes,I thinkit is relevant to know when Cook comes in play. It is a really good card.
I have sleeved my cards and reprinted all leaders and wonders plus some others. I pick some at random at the begining of the game. So we can guess a leader or wonder arrive but not which one.

You may use this idea

Neat idea, do you know where can I find all these leaders and wonders? I think that I will print all of them and use your idea (and also improve my game experience with all this new stuff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also try to post in the 2013-2014 SPARE PARTS RESOURCE LIST. Maybe someone there can help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
You could just hide the draw deck as an option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fratloev Fratloev
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelete wrote:

Neat idea, do you know where can I find all these leaders and wonders? I think that I will print all of them and use your idea (and also improve my game experience with all this new stuff).

For the base leader and wonder just scan and print the cards you have.
For the bonus ones looking for BGO addon :
here in english
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/75451/bgo-2-0-3-0-and-poli...

you may test these one :
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/77077/leaders-and-wonders-...

or french version
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/73798/nouvelles-cartes-ver...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fratloev Fratloev
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've forgot, in BGO 3.0.1 there are the base leaders and wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobmelkus wrote:
Gelete wrote:

If you know that it is the next card than it doesn't matter much, the problem if he is visible in the deck when the age starts. What you can do in this case is just take him out of the deck and put an age I card into the deck. It won't be visible until it is about to be put in the row, and then you just put that card back in the age I deck and you put Cook in the card row.

I agree that the chances to find a replacement Cook card are very slim.

How is it hard to find? Lol just e-mail the publisher man they'll send a replacement no problem.

Most companies gut a few games just to function as replacements. This is not a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have emailed the publisher, I hope they have slare cards available but is not always the case.

Anyway, thanks all for your ideas and help, this is a fantastic comunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.