Popular Tags: [View All]
Rhys Hopkins
United Kingdom
Pontypool
Torfaen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoW turned up in the post yesterday, the box was a bit beaten up and looks a bit like it was found at the bottom of a dungeon somewhere, damn postal service. Luckily nothing inside the box was damaged.

As per usual my lack of patience meant I had to play at least one game. Although my wife wasn't feeling very well she still obliged to play (yes I'm very lucky ) As long as it was a learning game where we weren't going all out at each other.

My first thought was how impressive the board is, its all very clear and each spot you can place an agent at makes it very clear as to what you get for it. I barely had to explain any rules and Maria didn't stop to ask a question once. I think it took less time to explain than it did to run through the rules of Carcassonne!

The game play moved at a good pace and Maria caught on so quickly that I found myself behind on the score track quite early on. She decided to go for a lot of smaller quests, while I had decided to take some really big scoring quests (Two 25 pointers and one 20 pointer). So while I was building up my resources she was keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

Not many intrigue cards got played and I came away thinking that they would be a lot stronger in a game with more players. Even though I had completed a plot quest that gave me 2 VPs per intrigue card I didn't feel that playing them would have been more of an advantage than placing my agents on a more beneficial spot. Although saying that, a few did get played and a couple that did, changed the course of the final rounds:

Early on, I ended up being dealt a mandatory quest card. I had read on here that a lot of people find them quite harsh and as this was our first game and Maria wasn't feeling very well I decided against using it. Little did I know that my wife also had a mandatory quest card in her hand and she wasn't feeling so friendly! In the last but one round, just as I was catching up, she placed an agent in the harbour and threw the mandatory quest down onto the table, I was dumbfounded; she wasn't pulling any punches (and its the last time I will!). This ruined my plan for that round and left me scrambling to collect resources that I didn't need moments before. However, I did manage to complete my last big quest in the last round which almost drew us level.

By the time we had added in the adventurers and money left in our taverns at the end of the game I had somehow managed to edge into the lead. Maria was adamant that I had won, but she had completed a lot of quests during the course of the game and I had only competed a few. It was this fact that was to decided the winner. We revealed our Lord Cards and counted up the final VPs: I only got 16 to her 32! She leapt into the lead and won by around 10 points.

The wife was very impressed by the game and mentioned that is was good because 'you don't need to think too much', after a little bit of probing she said she meant that you didn't have to remember the rules because they were pretty much all explained by the board and the cards. I too was impressed by the game, its the first worker placement game I've bought and it feels like a good place to start as its not too heavy but I still found I was torn at times as to where the best spot was to place my agents.

One point that came up during the game was that money was a little scarce, the spot that gives you 4 gold and the one that gives you a quest and two were hotly contested, which in turn meant that the spot that gives you first player marker was also used a lot! I guess that the selection of buildings that were drew didn't help with this as it wasn't until the last round that one came up that allowed you to get money somewhere else.

I can see this seeing a lot of table time and I'm looking forward to playing with my brother and his girlfriend so I can use a few more intrigue cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you do use more intrigue cards the more you play the game. They do allow you to collect more stuff and therefore complete more quests.

Building selection will often dictate how much money is in the game. Some intrigue cards will also help gaining cash, as do some of the quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stanhope
United States
Plano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silly question but I know some people missed this rule when they were learning the game:
After all players have placed all their agents, the agents in the harbor (where the intrigue cards are played) get to pick one of the remaining open non-harbor spots and move to that space and complete that action. This means they get to play the intrigue card and then at the end of the round do something else.

Did you and your (charmingly cuthroat) wife do this in your game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Hopkins
United Kingdom
Pontypool
Torfaen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torzan wrote:
Silly question but I know some people missed this rule when they were learning the game:
After all players have placed all their agents, the agents in the harbor (where the intrigue cards are played) get to pick one of the remaining open non-harbor spots and move to that space and complete that action. This means they get to play the intrigue card and then at the end of the round do something else.

Did you and your (charmingly cuthroat) wife do this in your game?

We did play that rule correctly, but I found that when it came to a toss up between placing an agent at the harbour and just taking the resources while they were available (rather than hoping that something useful would be left at the end of the round), we were always taking the resources.

We are going to be playing another game tonight so I'll give the intrigue cards a proper go and see how I fare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhys Hopkins
United Kingdom
Pontypool
Torfaen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played another game last night and it was totally diferent to the first. We both managed to get quite a lot of money through various means so we weren't fighting over those spaces so much. More intrigue cards were played also, mostly to gain extra resources and the buildings that came out were giving each of us a lot more options.

I felt that this actually made the game easier, as we weren't fighting over certain spots. This allowed each of us more freedom in placing our agents. We did both end up with Lords who benifited from warfare quests so there was a little jockying for the best quests there.

The game ended with me winning, but only by 10 points, 161 to 151. What I've really enjoyed about the game so far, is that one of us doesn't just fly into the lead and stay there all game. Even if your opponent gets a head start it seems like its possible to catch up during the course of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.