Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game always has us in tears laughing at the names and who shoots who and the fact that my friend steve is almost ALWAYS gunned down to a man every time we play for no other reason but to see it happen. He says things like: "I drew Lump Loafman" and the others say "Well he just HAS to be shot to peices now doesn't he?"

I mentioned to everyone that the more players you have in this game, the more chance on player will sit on their hands and not be able to do anything at all. My brother was one such player. He had the driveby, and BOTH massacre cards in his hand on the first turn, but no businesses and no pocket money to speak of. He was able to play a card or two a turn (when he wasn't constantly losing turns, one of the worst game mechanics Gangland! has to offer), but it wasn't enough to get the 2k to run one of the massacres for the entire game.

Always a bloodbath due to the lack of informant cards in the game, 25 gangsters met their demise through various shootings and bombings and my friend John seemed to have all the informant cards, allowing him to survive the swarm of possible assasinations that headed his way and win the game.

A few things I learned this play through:

1) If your boss's bodyguard is in jail or wounded, the boss can be attacked directly. We used to play that the boss could never be directly attacked (except with drive-by and massacre cards)

2) Losing turns is a terrible game mechanic. I knew that already from Talisman though.

3) The entire judge/lawyer/fbi/irs mechanics are just a waste of time. 1 in 1000 chance you have the right card when the IRS is played on you or you lose your (typically) best character with the most business capacity. Siezing businesses, because you have to roll the die, is a total waste as well.

4) Closing a business for a turn has absolutely no effect on the game

5) Discarding cards (you lose your turn if you do) is also a horrible mechanic in a game where card flow is so important.

I rip on this game a lot because it certainly does have a litany of mechanics that just don't work out well, but we still love it because the theme is so ridiculously funny and characters are so incredibly fragile. People beem with pride as the stack of the dead gangsters reaches the size of the draw pile...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.