Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart
Australia
Wongawallan
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. Sorry, these question also came up during the game, but are unrelated to chambers.

- When you're Dazed can you use a power that involves movement and an attack? Like the Dwarf Fighter's Charge, or several of the Half Orc Rogue's powers? I played it that you couldn't make a normal movement if you wanted to attack, but if your attack (power) involved movement, then that was ok.

- At one point in the game, the Dragonborn Wizard fell down a pit trap. He was stuck there for ages, and while he was in there, he drew the Bloodlust (Curse) encounter card (take 1 damage every turn until he defeats a monster). I wasn't sure on the timing of these two effects, because the pit trap says you roll at the start of your hero phase to see if you escape the trap. If you don't, you skip your hero phase. But the curse says that you take 1 damage at the start of your hero phase. So if you fail to get out of the pit trap, does that mean the hero phase is skipped, thus meaning no damage? Or because both happen at the start, they happen simultaneously? Seemed a bit harsh for him to be stuck in a pit taking 1 damage every turn and unable to do anything about it.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurzon wrote:

- When you're Dazed can you use a power that involves movement and an attack? Like the Dwarf Fighter's Charge, or several of the Half Orc Rogue's powers? I played it that you couldn't make a normal movement if you wanted to attack, but if your attack (power) involved movement, then that was ok.

That is correct. You get one action (attack or move) when dazed, but if the attack includes moving, like the charge, then you get to do that as well.
Kurzon wrote:

- At one point in the game, the Dragonborn Wizard fell down a pit trap. He was stuck there for ages, and while he was in there, he drew the Bloodlust (Curse) encounter card (take 1 damage every turn until he defeats a monster). I wasn't sure on the timing of these two effects, because the pit trap says you roll at the start of your hero phase to see if you escape the trap. If you don't, you skip your hero phase. But the curse says that you take 1 damage at the start of your hero phase. So if you fail to get out of the pit trap, does that mean the hero phase is skipped, thus meaning no damage? Or because both happen at the start, they happen simultaneously? Seemed a bit harsh for him to be stuck in a pit taking 1 damage every turn and unable to do anything about it.
Bloodlust in the pit is a really bad situation (thankfully rare though), but I would say that it does not matter which of the cards is triggered first, as you take the damage at the start of the hero phase and you have started the hero phase even though the pit may make you skip the rest of the hero phase. So I would say that you would take the bloodlust damage and also be otherwise helpless if you don't manage to climb out of the pit. I am not 100 % certain though, so I would like to hear from others how they would play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly your hero thrashes around in the bottom of the pit breaking his knuckles against the walls.

Roll to get out- fail- take your bloodlust damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartheus wrote:
I would say that it does not matter which of the cards is triggered first, as you take the damage at the start of the hero phase and you have started the hero phase even though the pit may make you skip the rest of the hero phase.

I'm not so sure. There is a case to be made for playing it the other way.

When a Hero falls in the Pit the figure is removed from the board and placed on the Pit card. The wording on that card is: 'If a Hero is on this card at the start of his or her Hero Phase, roll a die. On a 10+, place that Hero on the Pit's tile. Otherwise, the Hero skips his or her Hero Phase.'

Note that the card does not say 'skips the rest of his or her Hero Phase' but the entire Phase, so there is a good case for interpreting 'at the start' on the Pit card as really meaning just prior to the Hero Phase, and 'at the start' on the Bloodlust curse card as meaning among the very first actions of the Hero Phase. If you look at it that way the Hero Phase simply doesn't begin again until the Hero escapes from the Pit onto the tile. Only then does the Bloodlust curse damage begin to be applied.

If I were looking for some support for that view I suppose it would lie in the fact that, if a Hero in the Pit took 1 damage every turn, a succession of only a few bad rolls would kill them without allowing any opportunity to remove the curse by defeating a Monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a fair and insightful read of the rules.

I don't think the designers made a difference in "at the start" timing... Seems out of the scope of the loose rules. It's such a rare occurrence that this would happen. Plus with all the terrible situations that befall heroes- this is just another drop in the bucket of doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.