Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adriano Trancoso
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I'm just working on some Ogre counters - I wanted to go for a more exciting look than the B&W ones:

(Nevermind the values, this is only a concept).

What you guys think?

I've applied some distortion to the sillhouette because I couldn't find one in a good enough resolution. Does anyone know where I can get better ones to use? How do you guys usually do?

EDIT: see more examples below! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Stabliser
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like it. It does need to be printed to test how the blue/yellow contrast loose definition on paper. Are you designing counters for all units?

looking forward to seeing more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looks cool...when you print, pay most attention to how much the blue bleeds into the yellow and closes it up...that's always the trick with reverse type – using a thick enough typeface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriano Trancoso
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering changing the font to another one that looks better on smaller resolutions - I really don't want to lose that "chipped paint" look of this font, so I'll need to study the GIMP filters a bit more to replicate that effect.

I think I'll need to make things smaller and more separate, to avoid color bleeding and make it look less crowded. The counters will be double-faced, with a red "disabled" text across the counter. Ogres will have an "immobilized" back.

Yes, my goal is to make all units and almost all nations, if I have the patience to go through it laugh

My actual plan is this:

Paneuro: yellow over blue
Combine: white over red
Nova Brasilia: yellow over green
Nihon Empire: red over white
China: yellow over red (or vice-versa)
UK: blue over red (or vice-versa)
Australia: dark green over yellow
Israel: blue over white

I'm considering doing different designs for the ogres, to make them stand out when compared to the units of his army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That's the heavy tank name and silhouette with the missile tank stats. It's freaking me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriano Trancoso
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're completely right sir

I've started my prototype as a Missile Tank counter, but changed the name and silhouette to the Heavy Tank halfway since the MT silhouette I was using was pretty bad, low res

If I have time tonight I'll make some new (and correct) ones for you guys to see how it is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the Vatican forces!

They look good. I have a bunch of other sets people have made, and more are always welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriano Trancoso
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:

They look good. I have a bunch of other sets people have made, and more are always welcome.

Sure!

What you guys suggest as a symbol? a golden key (my personal best), the Vatican coat of arms, or the hand grenade of antioch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verythrax wrote:
Freitag wrote:

Sure!

What you guys suggest as a symbol? a golden key (my personal best), the Vatican coat of arms, or the hand grenade of antioch?

From GURPS OGRE:
"The Vatican’s increasing wealth eventually led to the reorganization of the Vatican Guard. A purely ceremonial body for centuries, it was a serious fighting force by 2082, and eventually acquired its own Ogres, painted in their garish purple-and-yellow color scheme.

RELIGION AND AI
Prior to the Descartes Revolution, every major religion agreed that artificial intelligences were merely machines. After the Revolution, the question of AI “souls” became a topic of fevered, if abstruse, debate. The Ogres themselves were of many minds on the subject. The Vatican eventually decided sentient Ogres had souls. (The presence of Vatican Guard Ogres may have influenced this decision.) Several religious rituals to distinguish sentient AIs from pre-sapient ones were created with the help of Catholic cyberneticists."

From OGRE Miniatures rulebook, note the symbol as a crucifix:

This is just background, feel free to interpret your design how you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
verythrax wrote:
Freitag wrote:

Sure!

My counter sheet (Barbarians at the Gate) has the Vatican Guard forces on it, with their logo, and should be available for preorder next month. You can see the image of a GEV in that livery over on SJGs forums...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=103133

Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf90 wrote:

My counter sheet (Barbarians at the Gate) has the Vatican Guard forces on it, with their logo, and should be available for preorder next month. You can see the image of a GEV in that livery over on SJGs forums...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=103133

Drew

Nice work! I knew I had seen those, but couldn't remember where. Just noticed they are now in the image gallery as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriano Trancoso
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I want to discuss some ideas with you guys:

1) How about specific country counters?

I'm considering adding small symbols to German, French, Italian, Polish, Russian and Dutch forces. The counter would be all the same for them all, in Paneuro colors, but with small shields with the country colors/symbols instead of the defense "D" in the upper-left corner. That way you can play as your "national force", or have several nationalities on the same force, as a joint operation.

The same would be true for the Combine and Great Britain, and even maybe Australia.

EDIT: on a second thought, we can play more with the Paneuro differences presented in the fluff, with each of the European countries having their exclusive set, in their own colors, but with a Paneuro flag in the corner to specify the affiliation. That way you can play the European internal conflicts as well.

3) If you liked the idea above...

Would you guys prefer to have complete sets for each nationality, or would be simpler to have them all mixed at random on the same sheet (for the joint operation forces)?

4) How about different styles and fonts?

Originally I was following an "one size fits all" design, but I have some ideas for different designs of counters for different superpowers, with different font sets and looks (Nova Brasilia counters will have Portuguese names). Do you guys like it or would it be to polluted on the table?

5) Ogres

Like I said before, I'm planning on doing distinct ogre counter designs, with exclusive names, to make them "pop" on the table - one "Highlander" for the Scottish forces under the UK flag, or the "Confederate" for the Combine forces. Those designs will have different color schemes, fonts and designs from their own armies, but will have all necessary iconography to make clear which model they are and which army they belong to.

Please tell me what you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:
Nice work! I knew I had seen those, but couldn't remember where. Just noticed they are now in the image gallery as well...

Thanks!

I uploaded them last night....they've been on the SJG forums. You can somewhat see the Vatican Guard logo on the side. The artwork is courtesy of FireHorse on those forums. He does amazing work!

There is the tiger-striped GEV in the images too...

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriano Trancoso
Brazil
Campinas
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is, a proper Paneuropean Missile Tank, from the German army:

I'll add some more examples.

EDIT: a german heavy tank:

And here is another version with an all-black eagle:

Italian Infantry:

And finally, Italian Marines:

Tried a Dutch one this time but didn't worked out well. I'll try again later.

snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

The last faction from my expansion set, Barbarians at the Gate, has an example posted in the images. Now pink GEVs can roam the battlefield!

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.