Subject: Make some recomendations... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to add some variety to our gaming group.
I tend to like good games, with solid game play, not too super complex. I dont mind dice games, I also dont mind commodity based games etc.

I have the standard war games, like the Axis, I have a few commodity based games, ie puerto rico, acquire etc.

I tend to like games with mini's but its not a requirment, I am not crazy about CHIT games, so please dont reccomend any. Other than Titan, and I have two people in my gaming group who have a nice set so thats not needed.

The next two games I am probably going to purchase are Traders of Genoa and Hammer of the Scots.
So if you guys can think of anything let me know.

Feel free to take a look at my collection to see what I like to play, and bear in mind that i have a pretty big gaming circle so some of your reccomendations my gaming group may already have.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
other games I am considering that I know my gaming group does not have:

Ra
Pirate Cove
Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Definitely recommend Ra, or some other good auction game (Modern Art, Traumfabrik). Also check out Power Grid, Goa, and Louis XIV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
thedude05 wrote:
So if you guys can think of anything let me know.

Feel free to take a look at my collection to see what I like to play, and bear in mind that i have a pretty big gaming circle so some of your reccomendations my gaming group may already have.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

First, I have all the games you list as under consideration, and

RA - will take a game or two to fully understand (figuring out what good thing/bad thing to bid on can take some time), but is an excellent change of pace and one of the best auction games around.

SAMURAI - fantastic strategy game, one of the few 'pure strategy' games I get into. Extremely satisfying.

PIRATE'S COVE - very light, not a lot of strategy, but fast and fun with a lot of theme and flavor.

I guess I'm saying any of these would be a perfectly satisfactory addition you should enjoy very much.

Based on your collection and your comments on it, I'd also recommend:

BLOOD FEUD IN NEW YORK: Like AXIS AND ALLIES with mobsters. Excellent use of theme, solid and direct.

BOOTLEGGERS: As the name implies, this is a commidty game based around gangsters producing and selling their "bathtub gin". Not as complex as PUERTO RICO, but even more ability to directly screw over other players and gain benefits for creating and holding an advantage over them.

AGE OF MYTHOLOGY: I feel this is underrated because the company that makes it got a bad reputation from some early games that it no longer deserves. Imagine a version of PUERTO RICO set in ancient times with 3 distinct cultures, and you can turn in resources for army troops and attack rival buildings. IMHO, that's what this game is.

CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE, RAILROAD TYCOON: One is military strategy in Ancient Rome, the other is a wheeler-dealer finance game, but they have very similar rules. Both are based on earlier games and have been reworked to be easier and not quite as merciless to new/inexperienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Voderberg
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition- More than just a game..it's a friggin' adventure! a massed game of Star Wars, DUNE, and Foundation. It's awesome.

Federation Commander- SFB, but playable. Has counters but you can use minis. awesome mechanic in my opinion. Multiple players, multiple ships, multiply the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedude05 wrote:
Ra
Pirate Cove
Samurai

These are all good games, although Pirate's Cove is pretty light, as someone else has already said.

You seem to like war-themed games, so check out the following:

Memoir '44 (2 player)
Axis and Allied Miniatures (collectible)

Hammer of the Scots is one of the best, lighter "real" wargames out there, based on what people say here on the Geek. I'm just barely starting my first game (Playing by email) so I can't give you my recommendation one way or another. But just know that it is a relatively heavy game, being a "real" wargame, even though the rules are only about 6 pages. It's about as heavy as Puerto Rico, although not at all like that game obviously. There is a similar game with a WWII theme you may perhaps like more - Rommel in the Desert - I haven't played it but I believe it's a little heavier. And no minis in either game, just blocks.

By "commodity" game, I assume you mean economic, resource management games.

Some other great games that aren't about "commodities" (if I understand what you mean by that):
Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation
RoboRally
Euphrat & Tigris
Through the Desert
Ticket to Ride

You seem to like Puerto Rico a lot, even though it's a commodity game. So here's some more in that vein:

Amun-Re
Power Grid
St. Petersburg
Alhambra
Princes of Florence, The
Railroad Tycoon
Caylus
Goa
San Juan - it's Puerto Rico Lite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of the suggestions that have already been made. If you have the time Twilight Imperium is awesome. Lots of bits, fighting, strategy, has some mechanics of Puerto Rico (role picking, primary and secondary actions) and a little bit of Power Grid (changing the player order), some Settlers (hexagon pieces, map is different everytime you play), some Civilization (advancing technologies and politics) little bit of a Star Wars theme (space battles, galaxy revolving around a central planet). This game has huge replay value, since you can be one of the ten available races, the map is different everytime, you have many different secret objectives to try and there are many different political cards to go through. It's also very interactive with the other players.

Twilight does take a good 4+ hours to play however and is best played with 6 players, but it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone.

Some of the games you mentioned are already available in my gaming circle.
For instance, Twilight Imperium 3rd edition ( which I love, thats a great game! )
Tigris and Euphrates ( only played it once ) but would like to try again.
Memoir 44 ( have not played it yet, but I know one of my friends recently bought it )
Axis and Allies Minis ( someone has this as well, but we have not reall geared up into it )
Age of Mythology.
Prices of Florence
Robo Rally
Railroad Tycoon

Since all of the above are availble in the group I game with I want to get some of the others you have mentioned.
That being said, these are the games so far that really strike my fancy but I will do some research on the others you have suggested.
Ra
Pirates Cove
Samurai
Caylus
Hammer of the Scots
Blood Fued in NY.

I really appreciate the reccomendations I have a lot of games to buy I guess... LOL

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
thedude05 wrote:

I really appreciate the reccomendations I have a lot of games to buy I guess... LOL
Thanks again.

What I really want more of for thanks is follow-up on game recommendations - I'm always interested in how the game went over good or bad and hardly ever hear...Try and post some "what we thought we we tried it" comments here eventually...

Of all the games that I didn't see on the "strong considerations" and/or "already have in the mix" lists, I think GOA and POWER GRID should be top considerations, and CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE/STRUGGLE OF EMPIRES, but not if you don't like RAILROAD TYCOON...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldmanrivah wrote:
thedude05 wrote:

Thanks again.

What I really want more of for thanks is follow-up on game recommendations - I'm always interested in how the game went over good or bad and hardly ever hear...Try and post some "what we thought we we tried it" comments here eventually...

Of all the games that I didn't see on the "strong considerations" and/or "already have in the mix" lists, I think GOA and POWER GRID should be top considerations, and CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE/STRUGGLE OF EMPIRES, but not if you don't like RAILROAD TYCOON...

I will do that. I will try to make some follow up posts regarding the games and how the went over.
Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.