Subject: "King of the Hill" type very competitive blitz style scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Boehm
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys

Now I havent worked the crunch out yet - but I would like to create a scenario which fulfils the below requirements:

- Competive with good reason for lots of PvP
- Relatively Short
- Actionpacked and with less of a buildup phase

For inspiration look up the game: "King of Tokyo"

RULES BRAINSTORM

Length: 2 days & 2 nights

Players: 3-5

Mapshape: Circular w/ central objective OR wide open with portal as objective ... in either case players setup at extremities of map working towards center (or portal) one player setup per tile.

Tiles:slightly smaller than usual map, 1 city (centrally located) + atleast tiles with 1 of each type of building with glade being near the portal.

Quickstart:
All heroes start at lvl 2, instead of gaining an advanced action from offer, use drafting rules to draw 3 cards.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:

Controlling the Portal
0 pts / turn during day 1
1 pts / turn during night 1
2 pts / turn during day 2
3 pts / turn during night 1

Map Control:
1 pts / building controlled per end of day/night.
2 pts for controlling the city per end of day/night.

Special:
No other pts are scored!! Not for fame, not for artifacts etc!

VARIANTS:

Team-play: 2-vs-2 tally up VP per team.

Trading: As an action a player may initiate a trade with another player. Trade must be done on a card-for-card basis, a regular unit maybe traded for another regular unit or action card, an elite unit may be traded for an artifact or spell. In either case the player with highest reputation reduce it by 1.

Plan-within-Plan: At setup each player secretly records the name of another hero. At game end, if the choosen hero has most points, increase your score by 10, possibly snatching his victory.

What do u guys think??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't sat down to work out all the details yet, but I'd been mulling over a custom scenario in my mind that seems like it would fulfill your goals.

Basically, it's inspired by the Heroes of Might and Magic video games. I was thinking the map would be laid out so each player starts on opposite sides (triangle shape if 3 players, circular if 4), with unexplored tiles face down to connect everything. Yellow non-city tiles would be in the center, with green tiles around them.

Each player would start on a city, which is their city that they control, and can use its benefits immediately, in order to get a jump start on powering up. To balance things, the city benefits would probably need to be tweaked a little. Again, inspired by the video game, I was thinking it might make sense to be able to use mana to purchase things in your city. For example, if you wanted to level up your city, you pay whatever the required cost is, tick the city level up a notch, and that's how many monster tokens are placed in your city to defend it while you're out exploring and conquering.

Mines and locations could potentially be 'captured' similar to the Mines scenario in the base game, and they'd produce a continual stream of benefits that you could use, either to level up your city or give your mage knight some extra powers?

The goal would be to conquer other player's cities while holding your own.
To keep the game from dragging on too long, there'd probably have to be a limit on cities you need for victory: 2 maybe, including your own?

The portal could still be placed in the center, but then instead of being the main goal, it could give some sort of powerful benefit if you use it, or conquer it.

So, like I said... haven't sat down to work out the details yet, but those are the general ideas i've been thinking through, so maybe there's something in there that you can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Boehm
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your comments and suggestions

I had been thinking along simular lines - but unless playing 1-vs-1 or 2-vs-2 I fear that unless there is strong mechanic to drive people to fight people will always just hold back and build up ...

Also the 'king of the mountain' mechanism works nicely to pit multiple opponents against whoever is strongest ...since there is pretty much no upside for a strong character to beat up on weaker opponents when that means giving up his spot atop "the mountain"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, that's why I was thinking it would make sense to have locations tie into how quickly your city levels up. So that gives people incentives to fight over control of locations as well as taking over other player's cities.

I think one potential problem with the king of the hill scenario idea is that it wouldn't be very interesting for the player that's currently sitting on the hill. They'd basically just be wasting turns waiting for people to attack them while the other people run around killing monsters and exploring. So there should be something for that player to do while they're the current King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.