Advanced Tobruk» Forums » Strategy

Subject: "Getting" unintuitive rules through tactics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think I now get most of the rules (I really care for a good game rather than a correct one), I have a nagging thought that there may be stuff permitted, or simply not forbidden, which I didn't ever think of doing within the game.

While ASL seems to be difficult to play well, ATS should have, comparatively, a smoother learning curve and probably - more than tactics - best practices on how to approach a tactical problem.

Mind you, I've never read the ATS tactical guides (which I think I ought to read if I want to reply to my question here), so I may be asking a naive question: what are, broadly, the tactics you use when you play the game? And how do these illustrate the most unintuitive rules, or simply things easily overlooked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, that is a large question!

The tactics really depend on the situation. I recommend reading some books on the topic to get a feel for what you want to do. the ATS system generally rewards good tactical decision making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Yikes, that is a large question!

The tactics really depend on the situation. I recommend reading some books on the topic to get a feel for what you want to do. the ATS system generally rewards good tactical decision making.

The key to my post was: broadly.

I'm sure there are some rules that appear strange to you somehow. These may permit certain tactics within the game.

Of course you have to know well your way into the system, something I still don't have.

Example: what is the use in placing your infantry in the cellar area within buildings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, depends on the situation. If you are worried about a strike by large ordnance collapsing the building down on top of you, then not a very good reason to hunker down in a cellar. If your opponent is supposed to wipe you off the map then goading him into attacking you in close combat in the cellar might work out for you.

Cellars are useful if you want to not be hit by small arms fire but do not feel a great need to shoot back. In general, most Full Cover situations are like that. The "trick" is to somehow either have those guys covered so that the enemy does not just sneak up and toss grenades on them or make sure that the enemy is tired (all activated previously in the turn) so you can "pop up" and shoot at them (nit from a cellar).

For what it is worth I have never hidden from the enemy in a cellar. The option is there should I feel a need or desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel T.
Germany
flag msg tools
Pew! Pew! Pew! KABOOOM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read a great book on Russian accounts from the Battle of Stalingrad. In the last days of the German pockets a huge number of German soldiers were captured in the cellars of buildings. They all hide there in great numbers. One Russian account talks about 1000 German soldiers in one cellar. The general Russian tactic of these last days was to send a demand of surrender to the Germans in the cellar, if they resisted, the location of the building was send to the artillery, which then shot one/two salvos at the building. Then the Russians asked again and repeated the whole until the the Germans came out of the cellar. No direct attacks against the cellar were made.

If I remember it right, it is possible to enter/leave a cellar through the UNDER location of a attached trench. Maybe this gives some interesting tactical movement abilities to the defender?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mochara C
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I will decline weighing in here so as not to reveal all my secrets to the OP

I will only state that I am hiding in Martin Gallo's basement. Come and get me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moly19 wrote:

Holy cow!!! I am also in Martin Gallo's basement and I do not se Mo anywhere!

As long as you are here, it is your turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel T.
Germany
flag msg tools
Pew! Pew! Pew! KABOOOM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
moly19 wrote:

Holy cow!!! I am also in Martin Gallo's basement and I do not se Mo anywhere!

As long as you are here, it is your turn...

Look under the +10 LOS marker (8.3.12b)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.