8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Using Copyright images for a prototype rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Otto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a card game and used some copyright images to make a prettier prototype. I guess for private use I don't have to fear anything. But what shall I do, if I want to share my game on the BGG-Game Design Board? Remove all images or maybe write a specimen over the the images?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
replace the art with something from public domain, or something you drew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
replace the art with something from public domain, or something you drew.

Absolutely agree to that! Especially here in Germany this can get pretty expensive when "just using" images from Internet.

Maybe you can find some good "unexpensive" stock photos from a single artist which you can contact to get some kind of a discount (or even for free with some attribution etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I always thought it quirky to use photos of your play-testers as much as possible when making a prototype, this is easily done by inserting a by-line in the waivers they sign to play-test and taking their photo. Then photoshop away!
Warning: A complete "re-theme" can easily occur as a result of having to change graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Otto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alright. thanks guys! I will redesign them, before I make them public

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had pretty decent luck recently finding good images on Wikimedia Commons. Most of the images there require attribution (CC-BY, CC-BY-SA, etc) but there are a lot are public domain images too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, don't worry about it at all - just post them up and if your game's any good you'll create some buzz and have plenty of time to swap stuff out later. They'll create much more buzz with some half decent pics in there as opposed to being totally ignored when stuffed full of abysmal '80s clip art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willsargent wrote:
Seriously, don't worry about it at all - just post them up and if your game's any good you'll create some buzz and have plenty of time to swap stuff out later. They'll create much more buzz with some half decent pics in there as opposed to being totally ignored when stuffed full of abysmal '80s clip art.

No. definitely worry about it. The last thing you want is to crash and burn your reputation as a designer by using artwork or photos without permission. Whatever buzz you might enjoy will be negated by the infamy of your career's death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.