Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Dear boardgamegeeks fellows,

I would like to expand my collection of board games, as I, alas, do not own a lot of them, but really enjoy playing them.
I've been at the Spiel 2012 in Essen, in Germany, my home country, and saw some interesting games.

The group I play with consists mostly of the same 2-5 people, who like to play board games occasionally but are not game enthusiasts as such.

The games I own and play rather regularly:

1. Settlers of Catan (the most played game by a far margin)
2. Ungeheuer Indiskret
3. LifeStyle
4. Rummikub
5. Armada

Games I do not own, but did play and like them:
1. Dominion
2. Munchkin
3. Nobody's Perfect
4. Puerto Rico
5. Stone Age
6. Smallworld
7. Wizard
8. The Great Dalmuti
9. 7 Wonders

I only play like once every 2 weeks at average, so I'm looking for some awesome games that are a blast to play.
As you can see from the lists above, I think the games I like to play fall mostly into these categories:

1. more strategic (Settlers, Puerto Rico, Armada, ...)
2. light, quick games (Dominion, Rummikub, Wizard, ...)
3. party games (Nobody's Perfect, LifeStyle, Ungeheuer Indiskret..)

After searching endless hours on boardgamegeek and looking through a lot of lists, I need your help with some suggestions .

What do you think of:
- PowerGrid (looks like a deep and strategic game I would really enjoy, but how about other players, is it too "mathy" and teditious?

-Dixit (looks like a rather fun party game similar to Nobody's Perfect)

- Dungeon Hunter (I never really played dungeon type games, but I love the dungeon theme)

Also feel free to suggest whatever comes to your mind !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I love the bluffing and double-think of two-player Citadels, but but others will disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin is what got me back into the gaming hobby, and I have been teeming it up since.

-dominion, Small World, Stone Age, and 7 Wonders. All of these you just can't go wrong with.

Couple others that I'll recommend for fun light games are;
-Survive: Escape from Atlantis! easy to learn good replay-ability, it can be an in your face take that type of game if that's the way your group plays. I personally love that.
-Cosmic Encounter enough said!!!
-Sentinels of the Multiverse play co-op as super hero's try to take down villains in all different areas.
-and for party type games if you get all 5 people over I would go with two, The Resistance and Snake Oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Catan, I imagine you like dice...so Stone Age is great. I like the way dice are used in Stone Age much better than the dice in Catan, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever played Kingsburg?

It´s an awesome and very innovative Game with Dice as worker placement, a good ammount of strategy, lots of replayability and variety wich can be further increased with the expansion Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm included. It plays very well with 2 and every Number up to 5 players. In my opinion this Game offers a perfect balance between luck, strategy, building, placing, thinking, planing. Very unique, special and diversified.

greets hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Citadels looks interesting with the role-picking element, although Kingsburg looks really nicely done with the worker placement, the catch-up and the hurdle of monsters at the end of each round.

How about replayability of Kingsburg?
It looks like it's easy to get into, but how long will the fun last?

Power Grid on the other hand looks like a game that might not be that great on the first play-through but will get better every game.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lozano
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Power Grid is a lot of fun and a good choice. It doesn't seem too complicated to understand either. I wouldn't personally consider it "mathy," because you just have to add cost and points I believe.

I would also say my wife and I really enjoy Puerto Rico with just the two of us, and its equally enjoyable with others as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
I think I might try out Pandemic, San Juan and Citadels.
What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is awesome, and cheap: an easy choice. I hate traditional co-op games like Pandemic, so I'd definitely steer you clear of that, but plenty of people like them. People even like Defenders of the Realm; I don't know why. For strategic games (your category 1), San Juan might be a good choice. I'd suggest Race for the Galaxy (and maybe the first expansion) over it; I think it's a better game, and I also prefer the theme, but it comes down to taste. It's also quick enough that, once you know it, it'll feel "light" and retain its crunch.

You might want to diversify a bit more; pick one game from each of your three initial categories. While Citadels can KIND of be considered a light or party game, it might also drag on too long with a larger group. The prior suggestion of Cosmic Encounter is definitely worth considering, as is Dixit (which you mentioned) and The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burgess
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is going down great at the moment with my little gaming group.

My wife immediately took to it, and it is a nice mixture of worker placement and strong theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burgess
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteWalker wrote:
I think I might try out Pandemic, San Juan and Citadels.
What do you think?

Pandemic i can easily recommend, it's another regular at the moment.
Along with Flash Point: Fire Rescue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for your quick respsonses. I bought Citadels and San Juan rather spontaneously as they both were around 15 € and CalebSyke also recommended the former.

I do not own a cooperative game yet, so I figured I might give it a choice with Pandemic, as I really like the concept of coop games, as it introduces a new group dynamic.

Othila, interesting that you mention Race For The Galaxy, it was in my shortlist, but I decided against it in favour of San Juan and Citadels.
Watching the video review of it, the reviewers recommended it, but it looks like a space-themed and more complicated version of Dominion or am I wrong?

Yeah, I might buy Dixit once the Odyssey version is available again in a month or so.

I don't like The Resistance for having a minimum requirement of 5 players. If you don't have regular meetups, I think it might not get played that often.

Lords of the Waterdeep seems like a light version of a dungeons and dragons game, what similar games are there to this?

Cosmic encounter does look like a really awesome game!
Can you recommend any similar games like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is similar in concept to San Juan (role selection - although simultaneous as opposed to turn-based in SJ, cards as cash).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great 2-5 player games?

Strategy:
- Agricola
- Race for the Galaxy
- Lords of Waterdeep
- Citadels
- Manilla
- Tombouctou (Timbuktu)
- Power Grid, yes it plays GREAT and it not too mathy or tedious. (as I always mention with this game, get the China expansion map, it makes the game more strategy based and not just a race to the final city count)

Light/quick:
- Rack-o (although not confirmed, I hear the newest printing doesn't include the racks, which really defeats the purpose of the game.)
- Tsuro
- Tichu
- 7 wonders
- Galaxy Trucker
- Chrononauts
- Kingdom Builder

Party games:
You can't go wrong with Balderdash or Scattergories.

I found dixit to be fun for a while but without new cards it quickly became repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
There are a lot of suggestions there and thanks for editing in more.

Race For The Galaxy keeps coming up over and over again, but should I play San Juan first as it is similar to but easier as RFTG?
Do you keep playing SJ and RFTG or do you just abondon one for the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the game mechanics are very similar between SJ and RFTG, they are both uniquely different. I wouldn't give up one for the other. RFTG has some rules that make you scratch your head the first play through, but soon enough you begin to appreciate the beautiful simplistic complexity of it. (yes, "simplistic complexity")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
I bought another round of games. This time I got Power Grid and Race For The Galaxy. The latter has indeed a steep learning curve, but the keldon A.I. hooked me a bit .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also take a look at Belfort.
The game is available in german now, too, if that is important.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek S
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteWalker wrote:
I bought another round of games. This time I got Power Grid and Race For The Galaxy. The latter has indeed a steep learning curve, but the keldon A.I. hooked me a bit .

Good stuff, as I mentioned before. You'll quickly realize the single best strategy with power grid, realizing the biggest loophole in the game, you'll quickly yearn for more. I suggest the China/Korea expansion map.

Also, RFTG is much the same way. Once you get over the initial learning curve, and appreciate it's complexity, you'll soon realize exactly how to rack up the most points easily. The following expansions fix that in which you no longer have 1 road to victory, but multiple paths based on the hand you're given.

Also, The rules for RFTG can be a bit daunting. They are FAR more simple than they seem to be written, just plenty of symbols you'll likely need to check back to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
So I played Pandemic yesterday with a group of 3 people. Cooperative games are quite fun I must say .
We actually played it three times in a row, but I wish there would be more roles to choose from.
Looks like I need to buy the expansion, too. Are there just more roles or does it create a better overall playing experience?

Also: which cooperative games do you recommend beside the ones already mentioned earlier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Update, for everyone who reads this thread again:

After introducing Pandemic to another group, they wanted to play it over and over again, definitely a good game.

Power Grid aka Funkenschlag does take a while to play for the first time (2-3 hours) but this game is really tense!
It doesn't get boring, as there are a lot of simultaneous actions and you never feel too far behind, as there are so many catch-up mechanisms, really interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteWalker wrote:

How about replayability of Kingsburg?
It looks like it's easy to get into, but how long will the fun last?

What do you think?

sorry for the late reply.

The replay value of Kingsburg gets a small reduction after a few games due to the fact that the whole game progresses in a rather self-repetitive way. While the players have a chance to try various building strategies, there comes a point when these strategies have been tested so that tension for future games is reduced. This problem is solved with the expansion Kingsburg: To Forge a Realm. There are new rows of buildings, different player characters with special attributes, event cards and lots of stuff in five different modules which will bring additional variation in the game. Especially if several of the expansion modules are used together. The expansion is a must-buy to change Kingsburg from a really good game into a true classic.

I see you've made some good choices and enjoy the selection with a lot of fun. Nice to read. I hope my post can help you with your future decisions.

best regards Hessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories
Seasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you for your reply, Hessi James.
I was too impatient to wait, so I chose some other games in between.
But I will consider your post, if I'm going to buy Kingsburg.
Right now I find Kingsburg + expansion a little bit too expensive.
I'll probably wait for a bundle deal.

LunarSoundDesign, I stumbled upon Ghost Stories myself while looking for some coop games.
I remember it as being rather (frustratingly?) hard to beat. Or am I just plain wrong?

Seasons looks really interesting. It was all over the Spiel 2012 in Essen. It was nearly at every single booth, but neither now nor then it was on the cheap side .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
flag msg tools
Update: I played the expansion On The Brink for Pandemic. Definitely recommendable, it adds everything you missed in the base game.

Race For The Galaxy is rather cryptic at first, if you don't know the symbols yet. In the base game the military part seems a bit less powerful than the others.
It has some really interesting decisions otherwise though .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.