Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: About to build a box for AH stuff, want some feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Rigby
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm planning on building it out of 1/4" craft wood. The idea is that I can take the lid off and just stand the bottom on its end. From there I can pull cards out easily. I was wondering if you all can notice anything I might need to add/change.

I'll put the SketchUp file up here if you ask for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tower
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks fantastic. Are you going to have the card slots at a slight angle? Might be easier for drawing them.

Please post pictures of the work in progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should consider making it out of human skulls.

But on a more practical note, one thing to really consider is how easy or fiddly it would be to extricate cards and tokens from their compartments. It's difficult to see the scale, but any compartment that repetitively gets in the way of your knuckles, has tokens stuck in the corners or cards lodged in hard to reach places is going to deplete your insanity. I can remember countless game-sorting aids that ended up being mothballed as they were just a couple of mms too small or an awkward shape, and this is particularly important for a long, component heavy game like Arkham. Best to test out each box size with a mock up during games, and any slight niggle will be revealed.

Edited for "cars lodged in hard to reach places"!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also wouldn't the lip on the Ancient One stand obscure text on mythos cards? Again this might just be a scale issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Rigby
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback! The slots for the cards are 1/4" short, so the cards will stick out a little. Do you think that would work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That could work, as long as they aren't too tightly packed, but testing it out with a mock up is the only way to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like the idea of having something that makes everything available within arms reach, and the design you have looks like it will do the trick well. From the standpoint that this box is used for gameplay rather than just storage makes a lot of difference. I have a custom made box myself, but I only deal with it when I'm taking stuff out, or putting the game back up. I don't have a nice set up that allows me to play right out of the box. One day, though.

From the look of the design, is this box going to be free standing, upright? Assuming this will go on your gaming table you may want to think about how the weight of the components is distributed. With the bulk of the weight in the center row with the Mythos/Gate/Encounter cards, the foundation of the monster and game pieces might be a tad wobbly. One accidental bump to the table could bring one heck of a mess if the thing topples over. I would either suggest redistributing the shelves so that the large cards are on the bottom to hold the bulk of the weight there, or to even design some sort of kickstand device to allow the whole box to prop at an angle. This would make visibility and drawing cards easier as well. Of course, if you design it to tilt, then the top compartments for tokens might have to be re-thought.

The only other suggestion would be for the consideration of expansions. How many would you use versus how much space you've allowed for them? If you are playing with two or so expansions, then the design works great. But any more than that, and you may want to consider breaking up the 4-slot allocation of expansion cards to perhaps a 6-slot by adding in additional dividers. Same with the miscellaneous smaller card slots. I think you could safely add in a divider to each of the three slots to mimic the skills/allies slot, that way you have up to 6 additional spots to keep expansion cards separated.

Regardless of how you choose to do it, you've already put in the right effort and know it will be a work of love. It looks great.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmusedToDeath47 wrote:
With the bulk of the weight in the center row with the Mythos/Gate/Encounter cards, the foundation of the monster and game pieces might be a tad wobbly. One accidental bump to the table could bring one heck of a mess if the thing topples over. I would either suggest redistributing the shelves so that the large cards are on the bottom to hold the bulk of the weight there, or to even design some sort of kickstand device to allow the whole box to prop at an angle. This would make visibility and drawing cards easier as well. Of course, if you design it to tilt, then the top compartments for tokens might have to be re-thought.

I suspect there will be way more weight in the frame and back of the box itself than the cards (although there are a lot of them). This looks like it will be pretty heavy.

Make sure you allow some handles or something to lift it with.

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That appears to suit a number of needs, especially since you can store your components and play-from-the-box, as well. As Jacob suggested, check the weight once you have all of the items in place. Additionally, you'll want to have it centrally located so people can reach for what they need. One of the reasons we went with the individual card holders had much to do with the number of players around the table, so we could pass them around to draw common items or reveal the next Mythos card. Obviously, what we lack in unity-of-purpose, we made up for in thematic design.

It's a very functional box you've created and I believe it would well serve a portion of the community. I may suggest, if you haven't thought about it already, try running a Kickstarter Project. Before we launched ours, I reached out to a half dozen 'creators' of different solutions and not one had the coutesy to respond, so we ventured out on our own. You may have the very solution which many have sought, but lack the skills to try on their own.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me, check out our Kickstarter Project, and who knows, you too may launch a project and be rewarded with worldwide Backers! Good luck to you and the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, but your mock-up has the angles all wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Rigby
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for your comment. What do you mean? What do I need to correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Rigby
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for your feedback! I had never thought about a Kickstarter, I'm not sure how long making this would take or how cost effective it would be for parts and labor. I don't have any experience with craft wood, so I'm not fully confident in making things and selling them to people I don't know. We'll see how the first one goes though.

You should include a link for your Kickstarter project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Rigby
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for all of your thoughts I think they're all good points. Thanks for the points about weight distro and the kickstand. I hadn't thought of that, and that's exactly why I started this post. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schtvr,

Here's the link, fellow Arkhamite ~ less than 24 hours to go and we're between 250% and 300% funded!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1734621563/crafthulhu-ca...

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schtvr wrote:
Thanks for your comment. What do you mean? What do I need to correct?

Sorry, bad joke, I guess. I was just riffing on the famously unnatural angles of Lovecraft fiction. Your box is very naturally angled.

I'm a nerd. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Rigby
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Haha I get it now. Sorry for being slow on the uptake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
I was thinking of putting together a box/case as well. So far I have only finished the first set of card holders for main game + all expansions so far.

left one is for all small cards with compartments for every type of card.
right one is for the big cards with enough space for all mythos cards and compartments for every location from main game + expansions

I was also planning to have these (well, 2nd edition made from professionally cut wood instead of unprofessionally cut plastic) fit into a case (400x450 mm) with removable drawers for tokens, chits, dice and enough space for all manuals, boards and arkham miniatures (optional)...

PM me if you are interested in the drawings of the case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.