Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hey Geeksters,
My gaming partners are often just me and my wife but just as often one or two or maybe three of my teenage kids joining us. So the game should be 2 to 5 ideally.
Almost all of our favorite games are where we laugh, help each other, smiling, friendly and thus, building relationships thru gaming. This usually involves co-op games, but not always. And it usually involves lighter and quicker games. Our favorite games so far are:
Pandemic
Dominion
Escape Curse of the Temple
King of Tokyo
Tobago
The Great Dalmuti
Castle Panic (with expansion)
Robo Rally
Ghost Stories

A few others that are somewhat of an exception to my laughing, helping comment, but we still love, are:
Aton
Haggis
Jaipur

There are some popular games on BGG that most others love, but there is almost no talking and social interration and are just too quiet for my family. These might include:
Coloretto
No Thanks
Carcassone
Lost Cities

(Now, I know that everyone won't agree with how I categorized things above, but that is how they fall in my family.)

Anyway, can you recommend some additional games that, in general, fit my first category? (ie: Not too long, 2-5 players, laugh, have lots of fun, generally help each other, social interraction, talking, discussing, not cut-throat)?
Thank you all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When i game with my (extended) family.

They 'like':
incan gold
Dixit
For Sale

They 'love':
The Resistance
Telestrations(eat poop u cat)
Portrayal
Gift Trap

They did NOT like:
Slide 5
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Genoa is a very talkative and interactive game (almost everything in the game can be negotiated). It's really best with the full 5 players... and as far as "helping" each other, trading with other players is always helping them, isn't it? whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November, hands down. It's cooperative, hard to beat, but full of laughs and risk-taking. Great, great game for scenarios like you've described.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Almost all of our favorite games are where we laugh, help each other, smiling, friendly and thus, building relationships thru gaming. This usually involves co-op games, but not always. And it usually involves lighter and quicker games.
Based on your description, here are some recommendations:

Bohnanza - Quick, loud, fun....lots of opportunity to help others (or to not help others should you choose to go that way)

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - dripping with theme. Great co-op.

Dixit - Beautiful game to look at. The art is fascinating. Great creativity. Good laughs. We played this last night with my 80 year old mother-in-law, my wife, my 17 year old son, my 15 year old son, my 11-year-old daughter....they all loved it. It's non-stop laughs when we play Dixit. Basically Apples-to-Apples with pictures instead of words.

Catan - it's a classic for a reason. I don't know how you feel about dice, but this game is a blast in a family setting.

Biblios - kinda like For Sale, but it plays very well with 2P. The art is more fun in For Sale, but the game play is more streamlined in Biblios. Both are great games.

Give Coloretto another try as well!



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll to the South Pole sounds almost perfect. We're always helping each other, cheering successes, and laughing together about miserable failures.

+1 Flash Point: Fire Rescue, as a solid co-op that should fit at least as well as Pandemic.

I find it amusing that you put Dominion in the fun category. For most of us, it's a good game, but one with almost no discussion or joy. Just heads-down concentration.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Hi Wesley,

I'm in the same boat as you. We have a teenager who gets frustrated easily, so my collection is mostly 2-player and laugh filled games.

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Ellyria

I'll be interested in this thread to see what I'm missing too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang! The Bullet! is great fun
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
luvmywife wrote:
Almost all of our favorite games are where we laugh, help each other, smiling, friendly and thus, building relationships thru gaming. This usually involves co-op games, but not always. And it usually involves lighter and quicker games.
Based on your description, here are some recommendations:

Bohnanza - Quick, loud, fun....lots of opportunity to help others (or to not help others should you choose to go that way)

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - dripping with theme. Great co-op.

Dixit - Beautiful game to look at. The art is fascinating. Great creativity. Good laughs. We played this last night with my 80 year old mother-in-law, my wife, my 17 year old son, my 15 year old son, my 11-year-old daughter....they all loved it. It's non-stop laughs when we play Dixit. Basically Apples-to-Apples with pictures instead of words.

Catan - it's a classic for a reason. I don't know how you feel about dice, but this game is a blast in a family setting.

Biblios - kinda like For Sale, but it plays very well with 2P. The art is more fun in For Sale, but the game play is more streamlined in Biblios. Both are great games.

Give Coloretto another try as well!






+1 to Bohnanza and Flashpoint. Both are such great games. Even though Bohnanza is a competitive game, the nicest and most cooperative player usually wins. The theme and cards are silly and funny, and no one ever feels bad sbout losing, except maybe the sorest of losers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Gareau
Canada
Rouyn-Noranda
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Resistance. It's so intense!

+1 for Dixit. Really creative and a lot of laugh!

+1 for Flash Point. If you like Pandemic, you'll love it!

+1 for Pick'n'choose. This is a really big hit with my family!

+1 for dexterity games. With my family, it's always a big hit. Games like Villa Paletti, Crokinole, Bausack, even Mikado are a sure shot! You should try one at least.

+/- 1 for Settlers. May be it can drag a bit, but my wife really likes it...It depends of you family I guess!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Space Cadets

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
(ie: Not too long, 2-5 players, laugh, have lots of fun, generally help each other, social interraction, talking, discussing, not cut-throat)?

Hanabi take it on the spot. A fantastic, innovative and ingenious little game. whistle

The core of the game is to guide each other, because the player does not know what cards he himself has on hand. You think yourself into the mind of the other players and enjoy the beauty and the fireworks of Hanabi. This game is co-operative, more than any another game. Just brilliant. "Hanabi: Avalanche de couleurs" is now included in the base game. So no worry about this promo expansion. At least it is in the german publication.I hope that this little thing spills over the big lake as soon as possible.

regards Hessi
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Bohnanza
But do not under any circumstances play it 2 player. It is a great game for 3 or more. My family's favourite game.

+1 for Dixit
Great social game

+1 for Hanabi and Flash Point
While I haven't played either yet, I've heard enough about them to be sure they fits your criteria.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Browne
United Kingdom
Ely
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For fun and great laughs, Survive!! ( Escape from Atlantis) is right up there!!

Well ok it does mean that occasionally player 2's swimmer will be eaten by a shark moved by player 4, but its all in the best possible taste!

We always have a blast with this

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Dungeon Fighter
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely +1 for Bohnanza - it is a great family game and even without being cutthroat it can be competitive, loud, and fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.