Subject: Enemy Combat and Movement Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello fellow geeks!

Today I come to you with a rules inquiry regarding monster combat and movement.

My question is this...

When I am in a space adjacent to a monster do I have to first spend move points to "move in to its space" and then attack or can I simply challenge it from an adjacent area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the monster is a rampaging monster (orc or dragon, not on a site) then you can attack from an adjacent hex, indeed you must since you can't move onto the monster's hex until it is gone. If it is on a site (keep, mage tower, dungeon, etc) then you must move onto the hex to attack. If the site is fortified (keep, mage tower and city) then you must attack, if not then you can choose to attack or not. On unfortified spaces, you do not reveal the enemy until you decide to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of information is on the reference cards for the specific site too! Especially the part where you are not allowed to enter the hex where a rampaging enemy is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
So...

Rampaging Enemy Space: No
Mage Tower/Keep/Dungeon/Spawning Pit: Yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
NanoXstatiC wrote:
So...

Rampaging Enemy Space: No
Mage Tower/Keep/Dungeon/Spawning Pit: Yes?

Your summary is OK

Also take into account that moving from one hexe besides a rampaging enemy to another adjacent hexe besides the same rampaging enemy will provoke that token to attack you, effectevely forcing you to end your movement.

Also note that if attacking a tower/keep/city and not winning the fight, you need to withdraw to your previous hexe, while if you dont defeat all monsters in spawning grounds/tombs/dungeons/ruins you can stay on that hexe after combat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:
Hello fellow geeks!

Today I come to you with a rules inquiry regarding monster combat and movement.

My question is this...

When I am in a space adjacent to a monster do I have to first spend move points to "move in to its space" and then attack or can I simply challenge it from an adjacent area?

You should read the rulebook, page 7, "combat with enemies", section 1. Although if you missed this, then you should probably re-read the entire rulebook or play the walk through while reading that book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
It was just that ONE clarification really. All these other rules about withdrawing after combat and such are already understood. Just seems counter intuitive that I need to Siege to attack a keep but for some reason I can freely waltz inside prior. Generally Sieges occur OUTSIDE a keep, not from within.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:
It was just that ONE clarification really. All these other rules about withdrawing after combat and such are already understood. Just seems counter intuitive that I need to Siege to attack a keep but for some reason I can freely waltz inside prior. Generally Sieges occur OUTSIDE a keep, not from within.

You do not siege a keep, you storm it. You either take it or are beaten back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shemar wrote:
NanoXstatiC wrote:

That's just confusing. You ALWAYS use Siege attack to attack a fortified location on the map. Nowhere is anything called "storm" in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:
Shemar wrote:
NanoXstatiC wrote:

That's just confusing. You ALWAYS use Siege attack to attack a fortified location on the map. Nowhere is anything called "storm" in the game.

The point, I believe, is that by using what is called Siege Attack, you are not creating a blockade to lay siege to a keep. Siege Attack is simply the name within the game used for attacks that can be used in the Ranged/Siege phase and can penetrate fortifications. You do not ALWAYS use Siege Attack to attack a Keep -- only if you want to attack it before it can damage you.

It would be have been more terminologically accurate to say: "You do not siege a keep, you assault it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:

Actually you are not freely waltzing into the keep/mage tower/city. You are still outside the fortification until you have defeated the enemies stationed there. But, since you entered the territory they consider to be their own, you are forced to fight. If you don't fight them, they will fight you.

If you beat the guardians, then the fortification is yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jebry wrote:
NanoXstatiC wrote:

Actually you are not freely waltzing into the keep/mage tower/city. You are still outside the fortification until you have defeated the enemies stationed there. But, since you entered the territory they consider to be their own, you are forced to fight. If you don't fight them, they will fight you.

If you beat the guardians, then the fortification is yours.

Yes, I would say that too! Paying the movement points to enter the hex is not symbolic for "kicking in the door of the keep" but for "entering the territory of the keep. You can then use siege attacks to destroy the guardians from outside. If you don't do that, you enter the keep and the guardians attack you. If you can't kill all of them, they throw you out again and force you to retreat. I think this makes totally sense thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob W
United States
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it would be nice and make some thematic sense to be able to, at least, Siege attack next to a site - at least to defeat the enemy(s) and then on the NEXT turn, move to occupy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
diesel2sour wrote:
But it would be nice and make some thematic sense to be able to, at least, Siege attack next to a site - at least to defeat the enemy(s) and then on the NEXT turn, move to occupy it.

More typically, people are writing to complain about the existing special rules for various sites, terrains, and forms of combat in Mage Knight -- not inventing new ones. But I applaud your thematic commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
diesel2sour wrote:

Just imagine the hexes to be ten times the size you imagine them to be right now, and suddenly it all makes sense. The keep is way too far from the hex border for siege engines in adjacent hexes to be able to shoot into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
haslo wrote:
diesel2sour wrote:

Just imagine the hexes to be ten times the size you imagine them to be right now, and suddenly it all makes sense. The keep is way too far from the hex border for siege engines in adjacent hexes to be able to shoot into it.

That's actually a helpful visualization. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for visualization, the way I think of it is the reason Rampaging enemies can be attacked on an adjacent space is because the space marked is their "home camp", which must be destroyed, but they have lookouts posted just waiting to call them over to an adjacent hex to plunder loot from an unsuspecting traveler. (Or, in the case of draconum, they are flying overhead and can find you easily in a neighboring hex as well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
Also, for visualization, the way I think of it is the reason Rampaging enemies can be attacked on an adjacent space is because the space marked is their "home camp", which must be destroyed, but they have lookouts posted just waiting to call them over to an adjacent hex to plunder loot from an unsuspecting traveler. (Or, in the case of draconum, they are flying overhead and can find you easily in a neighboring hex as well.)

yeah, thats why they are called rampaging. They rove around, plundering and pillaging. Thats why you "challenge" them from an adjacent space. You provoke them and they come to you into your hex.
If you move to an adjacent hex, you are also provoking them and they attack you.
Rampaging enemies are easy to provoke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.