Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things before I start this – 1) I have never written a review before, and 2) If I refer to aspect of the game and how I feel about it, it is just my opinion. . So if I say “The (Certain Aspect of game) really (insert adjective here) !- Then that is simply an opinion. Of course, I will always try to give an example of WHY I feel a certain way.

Also, the wife and I only got into these types of Boardgames less than a year ago. We Started with Arkham Horror, D&D series (RL, WoA, LoD), SuperDungeon Explore, Descent 2nd ed (and others) – then we moved to the more European type thinking/placement games such as Agricola, Dungeon Petz, and of course this game, Police Precinct.

Components 7/10– I am of the group that thinks that a really good game can overcome less than good components. Here are a few things I noticed.

- Board takes a while to unwarp. As long as a board eventually unwarps, I am good with it. This board did unwarp after a few days on a flat surface covered with a large, heavy piece of wood.

- Cards – I have a large stock of different kinds of card sleeves – however, I had a hard time finding the right size for the larger decks. I ended up using some “defective” Mayday Sleeves that I got for a stupidly cheap price (2000 of them < $20.00) – and they worked great, as they were too wide and tall for them to sell normally, but worked great for these cards.

- Police Car Tokens – I had/have a hard time seeing the difference in the cars. But this may be a product of my age – but we seemed to always move the wrong cars around the board – so we simply used some matchbox police cars I had lying about and that solved that problem.

- Rulebook – Oh Boy! I have mixed feelings about the rulebook. Content wise, I learned the game fast from the rulebook. It was written really well – information wise (aside from the occasional error in words used). The only real problem I had with it was how LONG some of the paragraphs are. The paragraph that covers the bottom of page 8 was a real doozy for me to get through. In the end though, all the information I needed was there, just very hard to get through. Page 2 was also a bit hard also – needs better formatting and BOLDING – but again, all information was there and I setup the first game correctly.

SIDE NOTE – this is the only game I have ever played where I did not read the Rulebook upfront and look at videos and read Forums first, before attempting to play. The wife and I just jumped into it and got through the first game in a few hours. To me, this is a testament to actually how well written to the rules were for us (notwithstanding the long paragraphs, less than stellar formatting, and word errors here and there).

Theme 10/10– This game just drips and oozes theme all over the place! We never once lost the perspective of what this game was about. This is also a testament to how easy this game is to play. Some other games, you get so lost in the rules/deciphering the rules, that you can lose the theme. (Arkham Horror was like this for us – theme was very Strong, but it was very hard to remember the theme as you played – only after many many plays did we start having the ability to remember theme – and even now, after 50 games – we get so locked up in the mechanics, we sometimes still lose the theme in our heads. BTW, we love Arkham Horror, MoM, and even Elder Signs, so please don’t think I am bashing that series.)

Gameplay 9/10
We played a 2 investigator Game – 4 times this past weekend. While we did make a few errors the first time through (not placing gang/punks properly, not taking doughnuts when we should have, etc) but we were able to correct all these errors by the second game.

I noticed that each game we played came down to the wire – one game, we found all the cards, but the Murderer was still in hiding (for two more turns), but the next turn we lost because we did not control the gangs properly and filled the Crime track. Another game, we had good control of the gangs, but the Event cards got out of control and we lost that way. In the end, with the 4 games we lost 3 and won 1. In each game, it came down to the very end who was going to win.

This aspect alone makes this a great game for us! Not knowing who will actually win until the end of the game makes it very tense and exciting. Many other games we play, you can usually tell who is ahead or behind long before the end - making is less fun for us.

There is some randomness in this game, but for us, it seems to be just enough. I can see where some people would think there is too much randomness, and so they may not like this game the way we do. (Some games are great with a LOT of Randomness – such as Dungeon Quest)

I suspect as we play it more, we will win more. At that point we will probably adjust some parameters to make it harder. Which brings me to another great point about this game ..

The ability to easily modify the parameters in this game is awesome. If this were not a CO OP (without the dirty cop, of course), the ability to change parameters may not be a good thing – but as a CO OP, it is delightful.

In the end, we love this game! While it has a few quirks (mentioned above), it is very easy for us to overlook them. There is just enough decision making to be made, without going into Analysis Paralysis mode. The game moves very fast for us, with little or no downtime – and keeps us riveted, tense, and engaged!

Thank You!

- SK
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too wasn't a fan of the rulebook. I'm working on making a revised one that matches the great art and style of the game. Thinking of having it all on yellow legal paper inside a manilla folder to make it look like something the chief just threw down on your desk. "Here's you next assignment, rookie".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbwc wrote:
I too wasn't a fan of the rulebook. I'm working on making a revised one that matches the great art and style of the game. Thinking of having it all on yellow legal paper inside a manilla folder to make it look like something the chief just threw down on your desk. "Here's you next assignment, rookie".
i'll be following your progress on this project; as a side note (per. pref. only) i'd skip the "yellow legal pad" theme and settle for sticking with the game's theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
jbwc wrote:
i'll be following your progress on this project; as a side note (per. pref. only) i'd skip the "yellow legal pad" theme and settle for sticking with the game's theme...

Yeah, I haven't started yet. Just gathering ideas at this point. I think the lines of the paper will be too distracting actually.Was more interested in doing the paperclip with photos on the page to liven things up on a solid white sheet. The photos of course, would be from the games existing art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAICT, the rulebook and editing seem to be the only real complaints about the game. Copy editing is laborious and costly, something difficult for a shoestring publisher to accomplish. I suppose that's a problem we will only see more of as Kickstarter becomes more a way of life for new game companies to create product.

I heartily suggest publishers make more (free) use of the users here on BGG to edit their materials. The designer overlooking the (in)famous inversion of East and West is understandable and something a multitude of (always picky) BGG users would eliminate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said.

Unlike most games with confusing instructions or poorly laid-out instructions, Police Precinct gets better with each play. I'm working on uploading a clearer crime tracker mat as well....should be up before end of day.......?

Just played another game today and although we failed, we still (2P) had a great time. Who knew one punk could be so tough or that we'd roll a 1 EVERY TURN. Playing as the Chief, I was sent to the hospital four times-guess he should stick to his desk job!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working with Karl to try and come up with a formatted, one page Set Up Quick Reference sheet. Once we get all the kinks worked out, I'll let everyone know when it is uploaded and approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
AFAICT, the rulebook and editing seem to be the only real complaints about the game. Copy editing is laborious and costly, something difficult for a shoestring publisher to accomplish. I suppose that's a problem we will only see more of as Kickstarter becomes more a way of life for new game companies to create product.

I heartily suggest publishers make more (free) use of the users here on BGG to edit their materials. The designer overlooking the (in)famous inversion of East and West is understandable and something a multitude of (always picky) BGG users would eliminate.

Hey Rob!

Yes, I think we have learned our lesson on editing. You bet we will use BGGers to help more the next time. I have a great group of editors lined-up now from my prior post...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/911976/recruiting-proofers

So the results should be better next time.

By the way, anyone else who wants to add themselves to this list, that would be VERY appreciated, because...

Who knows who will be available to help with this next time we are up against a deadline, so the more the merrier when it comes to our growing army of editors/proofers.

Also...

I just want to point out that it was us (CMG), not the designer (ole) who got the E/W mixed up.

Sorry again about that!

Has everyone seen this?...

COMPASS
http://www.commonman.com/compass/

and this...

RULES
http://www.commonman.com/rules

Reminder everyone...

Rob is a real cop!!!!

Very cool!!!!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
I've been working with Karl to try and come up with a formatted, one page Set Up Quick Reference sheet. Once we get all the kinks worked out, I'll let everyone know when it is uploaded and approved.

Cindy and Jeff have been working hard on several items that will prove to be helpful and fun for fans of Police Precinct.

Stay Tuned!!!

Thanks You-Two!!!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Karl! It's been a fun ride! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt mention it in my OP Review, but I have to add one thing - I am really impressed with how this game was brought to market so well considering the relatively few initial backers (206) on KickStarter.

I didnt get involved with the KS project - I only found out about this game after funding and the PRE-ORDER system was rolled out.)

I have been involved with other KS projects where there have been 1000s of investors with close to a million dollars funded. Sedition wars is a good example -(4,278 Backers,$951,254 pledged of $20,000 goal)

By the time the game was released, I wondered what they did with the money. I am looking at the Sedition Wars game I just got a few weeks ago, and there are MANY more issues with that, than Police Precinct. The game (Sedition Wars) I hear is good and has a lot of potential - I just haven't played it yet.

EDIT: Speeeling airor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
I didnt mention it in my OP Review, but I have to add one thing - I am really impressed with how this game was brought to market so well considering the relatively few initial backers (206) on KickStarter.

I didnt get involved with the KS project - I only found out about this game after funding and the PRE-ORDER system was rolled out.)

I have been involved with other KS projects where there have been 1000s of investors with close to a million dollars funded. Sedition wars is a good example -(4,278 Backers,$951,254 pledged of $20,000 goal)

By the time the game was released, I wondered what they did with the money. I am looking at the Sedition Wars game I just got a few weeks ago, and there are MANY more issues with that, than Police Precinct. The game (Sedition Wars) I hear is good and has a lot of potential - I just haven't played it yet.

EDIT: Speeeling airor

Jeff,

Thanks for the kind and honest words.

Also thanks for sticking your neck out and doing a review. I know from your comment in the other thread that you had some apprehensions about taking this step.

It opens you up and takes a fair amount of effort, but it's this kind of thing that makes BGG great, so thanks from the whole community!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McHale
United States
Falling Waters
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karl,

While I love the game and agree with the review that it is worth the money, what made you choose the card sizes? It would have been wonderful if they were easy to sleeve. The small ones are a little to big for the mini euro sleeves and they other ones don't seem to fit in the green or blue sleeves.

I am sure you had your reasons but it would be so nice if game makers would standardize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenM wrote:
Karl,

While I love the game and agree with the review that it is worth the money, what made you choose the card sizes? It would have been wonderful if they were easy to sleeve. The small ones are a little to big for the mini euro sleeves and they other ones don't seem to fit in the green or blue sleeves.

I am sure you had your reasons but it would be so nice if game makers would standardize.

Hi Stephen!

Great to hear from you on this.

I think it is a very important topic.

We used standard playing card size (2.5in x 3.5 in) and half that size for the mini cards.

Sounds like in retrospect that was not the perfect choice.

I will start a thread dedicated to what IS the perfect size. I want to hear from you and as many others as possible so that when we print the game again, we will consider the possibility of changing the card sizes.

AND, such that, if we do change sizes, we are picking the size that is most people's choice.

The thread will be asking for ideas, and ultimately we can take the ideas and turn them into a poll for the final analysis.

Maybe this can be the beginning of getting publishers to stick to certain basic sizes.

Oops...

The more I think about it, the more I think we are going to have to stick with these sizes for Police Precinct.

Why?

Let me explain...

Though it sounds good at first glance to change size to everyone's favorite, the problem will be that then there will be two sizes of cards (the 1st edition size and the 2nd edition size).

I think this will create a myriad of issues for expansions of the game...

It will make it so that we can't use the Mad Men Cards with 2nd edition base games (if the larger cards where changed). Same goes for the creation of any new event cards of any kind.

It would also mean (if the smaller cards were changed) that if future expansions involved new evidence cards, or new Police Cards that they could not work for both editions.

Ssssooooo...

Bad idea on my part.

BUT...

I still want to know everyone's favorite size so that if we release a new base game that we can get it sized out nicely for sleeve fitting.

Thus...

I will create that post here in a minute.

I also think that if we do the homework here (on BGG's Police Precinct page), that we (all of us collectively) could try to spread the word throughout the industry as to what sizes seem best and that this could catch-on. We could create that poll I was thinking of making (after we get some size suggestions), and the CMG website could link to it.

This way, anytime someone wants to know the results of our collective thinking, they could find it easily.

People discussing this issue anywhere on BGG might say... "hey isn't that listed somewhere on Common Man's website"

It could be the beginning of a good trend toward more standardization.

Thanks Stephen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, today is 2 weeks with Police Precinct.
And I just can't play it enough. Up to about 15 plays so far.
Pretty even.

Played 3 games with 4 and a dirty cop. Awesome!
A lot of 2 player games with my son.
So far we havent lost.
He is always Kinney and discards Donuts to not have a bad card.
(I might need to tweak the 2 player if he chooses Kinney)
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:
...I just can't play it enough...

Glad to see there are others that really enjoy this game!

The review I did, did not address the game mechanics - is anyone here up to the task? I think it would be good to have a review posted on the mechanics so new potential buyers/players of the game would have an idea of how it physically plays.

-SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
SlimJim wrote:
...I just can't play it enough...

Glad to see there are others that really enjoy this game!

The review I did, did not address the game mechanics - is anyone here up to the task? I think it would be good to have a review posted on the mechanics so new potential buyers/players of the game would have an idea of how it physically plays.

-SK

Good idea Jeff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group (all cops) playing a 6 player game tonight. After playing solo, I can already see this is going to be a blast.

GREAT review!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
scoutmom wrote:

Cindy and Jeff have been working hard on several items that will prove to be helpful and fun for fans of Police Precinct.

Stay Tuned!!!

Thanks You-Two!!!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Ooooo! Cant wait!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chumley11 wrote:
Our group (all cops) playing a 6 player game tonight. After playing solo, I can already see this is going to be a blast.

GREAT review!!

Six people? Wow! I have only played this game (and all the other games I have) with two people. No one else around here plays games like this, at least that I know of, so its just the wife and I.

Please let us know how the game goes with your six!

- SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:

- Police Car Tokens – I had/have a hard time seeing the difference in the cars. But this may be a product of my age – but we seemed to always move the wrong cars around the board – so we simply used some matchbox police cars I had lying about and that solved that problem.

I found the scale of the Matchbox cars I used too big. I found a great place to get really detailed police cars in th HO-ish scale (1/87). They are only $6.00 each, and come with a Display case. It took only three days for them to get to me too!

http://www.policecarmodels.com/modelpower.html

-SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a Picture of the 3 Police Cars (1/87th scale). Total Cost was $21.50 (including shipping).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info on those cars, sargonkid.

But do you make the 'WeeeeWooooo' sound of the sirens when rolling those puppies on the board? I would think it a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DBoonsGhost wrote:
Thanks for the info on those cars, sargonkid.

But do you make the 'WeeeeWooooo' sound of the sirens when rolling those puppies on the board? I would think it a must.

Actually, I prefer the sound that the Police Cars in most European countries make - "EEEEEE ERRRRR EEEEEE ERRRRRR". Of course, I try to make sure there are no children within earshot - for obvious reasons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
Chumley11 wrote:

GREAT review!!

Six people? Wow! I have only played this game (and all the other games I have) with two people. No one else around here plays games like this, at least that I know of, so its just the wife and I.

Please let us know how the game goes with your six!

- SK

Jeff, have you ever tried Meetup.com?

might help you find others who like to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.