Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Art games for board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alatuses
msg tools
hello everyone! I have heard of art games for computer games. Are there "art games" on board games too?

What sort of board games would be considered as "art games" and how different are they usually from the mainstream board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games about art or games as art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean games that are not for the mass marked but for some "special geeks"?
Maybe something like the games desigend by Bill Itch (http://www.edition-kranich.de/) or Thomas Fackler (http://www.zeitstein.de).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
Some games are art objects in the sense that they are hand-made, one-of-a-kind artifacts (but are still meant to be played as games):

(various games by Reinhold Wittig)

Some are clearly art pieces that happen to use the medium of a boardgame, perhaps to make a statement (but are not necessarily meant to be played by anyone):

(Train by Brenda Romero and Flux Wargame by Pronoblem)

Some are somewhere in between:

(from what I understand, it's almost impossible for one side to win in Demono, but it's a part of the game's “message”)

Some games just look pretty:

(from left to right: Fire, Ido, Calculus, Santorini and Axiom)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alatuses
msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
Games about art or games as art?

Perhaps ideas of art (such as surrealism, relationships, etc) incorporated into a set of play mechanism to form a board game; "art" board game. An example of an art game for computer could be Bientotlete. Often, they are allegory of a message.

The game of Exquisite Corpse could in a way be a kind of art game, but not close to a board game yet, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you mean games like

Pastiche or
Fresco

or something like Dixit

or are you looking for a different concept entirely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
alatuses wrote:
The game of Exquisite Corpse could in a way be a kind of art game, but not close to a board game yet, I suppose.

Your mention of Exquisite Corpse reminded me of Eat Poop You Cat, which, while not being a proper board game, is nevertheless recognized on this site as being a game enough to be included in the database.

You might be also interested in games in which players invent or manipulate the game's rules:
Nomic
Dvorak
1000 Blank White Cards
Mao
Eleusis
Zendo
Fluxx

Also, take a look at Dixit (already mentioned above by Andy) and the whole Storytelling genre.

I don't particularly enjoy arguing about definitions of things (“What makes a game an art game?”, “What is art?”, “Are games art?”, “Is art a game?”), but I hope that at least some of the games already mentioned will suit your intuitions and expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the world of video games, the term art game isn't particularly well defined. A lot of times though, art games are smaller games meant to evoke a particular emotion or idea in the audience. (What emotions and how successfully they pull it off varies of course.) In that sense, there are surely art games in other media.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PTKW hit the nail on the head with Train and Flux War, IMO.

Demono as well fits in the "Art Game" category.

Can you link to any video versions of art games that people can play and then draw parallels to?

I'm thinking of one where you're a researcher at a lab curing something, but then the cure mutates and you have to decide how to live out the rest of your days...but I can't remember the game's name. It made me cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.