Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm sure most of you know that USPS raised its postal rates as of January 27.

The new domestic rates are not bad, but the new international flat rates are painful. (From USPS website):

Small Flat Rate Box: $5.80 - US; $19.95 - Canada; $23.95 - Rest of the world
Medium Flat Rate Box: $12.35 - US; $40.95 - Canada; $59.95 - Rest of the world
Large Flat Rate Box: $16.85 - US; $53.95 - Canada; $77.95 - Rest of the world

What I've found is that game boxes, even small ones, never fit in the small box. Unless its a simple/pure card game, you usually have to jump to a medium. Imagine shipping a small box game to Canada. $40.95 shipping. Ouch.

Auctions should prove interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
International Secret Santa is going to take a beating I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
International Secret Santa is going to take a beating I suspect.

As will International Math Trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
More here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/920252/holy-crap-internation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:

As will International Math Trades.

Yeah, just sent out 3 medium flat rates just in the U.S. for a math trade. Ouch. I certainly won't be doing international shipping in Math Trades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

The USPS is going to price themselves into obsolescence...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

I think this is the USPS's way saying, there's no money to be made in international shipping, so we'll just price it high enough that no one will use it. I guess they think that they can stay afloat just focusing on domestic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

The USPS is rapidly failing already. These bumps won't save them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think high shipping costs would kill used game prices. I already see plenty of good deals in the BGG marketplace, but add in shipping and I might as well get it new from CSI with free shipping (as long as they can still afford to offer it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USPS has been consistently a better deal for me for shipping because with UPS and FedEX I have to buy a box first. It may still be a better deal domestically, I will have to check.

The biggest problem that i have with USPS is the complete lack of package tracking. If UPS and FedEX can do it, and USPS can do their Delivery Confirmation, why can't we get updates on that barcode as it moves around the country. You know they scan it in at every point in it's travels, why not get that data on the web? Drives me nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I was thinking more of domestic AND International shipping.

Really, the USPS has the same bloat and failure points of most governmental or complacent organizations. I can tick off all sorts of things that would be more effective that periodic rate increases. Offhand:

- Eliminating Saturday delivery or going to an every other day delivery system.

- Modernizing - most of the post offices in my area still require you to wait in the same line as that guy mailing forty boxes to Nebraska just to buy stamps. A simple mechanical vending machine would suffice. We used to have them back in the 70s and 80s.

- Eliminating the ridiculous amounts of promotional and marketing literature and posters that seem to be only within the post office itself.

- re-evaluating the exception or discount statuses of certain organizations that mail lit.

- Time shifting the hours so average working people can actually access the post office. The fact that you open at 9:30 and close at 4:30 or 5:30 isn't helping most of us with jobs...

Anyhow. Just me bitching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never ship (in most cases) USPS Flat rate. I do get the flat rate boxes then wrap in brown package paper and ship via parcel post - cheaper than Flat rate and is delivered about a day later than with flat rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Eric,

You are correct, and USPS wants to end Saturday deliver, but Congress has to APPROVE most ALL changes first and they have not. Of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
I never ship (in most cases) USPS Flat rate. I do get the flat rate boxes then wrap in brown package paper and ship via parcel post - cheaper than Flat rate and is delivered about a day later than with flat rate.

I agree, parcel or regular priority mail by weight USUALLY trumps flat, but flat is so much easier.

When I do auctions, I use some of all:

First Class for a few cards or bits.
Medium Flat rate boxes for medium size (average box) single games.
Parcel Post with tracking (85 cents prior to 1/27) for multiple games.

I find the Large Flat Rate box to be almost useless for games due to its shape. It'll hold one average-size game just like a medium box, as it is too shallow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Really, the USPS has the same bloat and failure points of most governmental or complacent organizations. I can tick off all sorts of things that would be more effective that periodic rate increases. Offhand:

- Modernizing - most of the post offices in my area still require you to wait in the same line as that guy mailing forty boxes to Nebraska just to buy stamps. A simple mechanical vending machine would suffice. We used to have them back in the 70s and 80s.

- Eliminating the ridiculous amounts of promotional and marketing literature and posters that seem to be only within the post office itself.

- re-evaluating the exception or discount statuses of certain organizations that mail lit.

- Time shifting the hours so average working people can actually access the post office. The fact that you open at 9:30 and close at 4:30 or 5:30 isn't helping most of us with jobs...

Totally agree, I would take it a step further though and say just eliminate the USPS all together - FedEx and UPS have much better on time delivery and fewer lost packages than USPS. I'm not sure if FedEx and UPS want to maintain a daily route person for letters though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

Exactly what I do too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:
jjloc wrote:

I agree, parcel or regular priority mail by weight USUALLY trumps flat, but flat is so much easier.

I find the Large Flat Rate box to be almost useless for games due to its shape. It'll hold one average-size game just like a medium box, as it is too shallow.

I disagree with flat rate being that much easier.
I have done enough auctions to know that a small game is under 5 lbs, a medium game is about 3-7 lbs and large games are 8 lbs+. When I do auctions I give the estimated parcel post rates based on this formula and when the auction is done I get their zip code info then I will give them the actual rates which in my experience has always been within $1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:

So YOU are the reason for the price hike! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
CalebSkye wrote:
jjloc wrote:

I disagree with flat rate being that much easier.
I have done enough auctions to know that a small game is under 5 lbs, a medium game is about 3-7 lbs and large games are 8 lbs+. When I do auctions I give the estimated parcel post rates based on this formula and when the auction is done I get their zip code info then I will give them the actual rates which in my experience has always been within $1.

It's easier for me because:

I don't want to wrap the Flat Rate Boxes.
I don't want the wrapped (and torn) Flat Rate Boxes getting returned to me (I've heard of that happening--the delivery folk know the shapes of those boxes extremely well.)

But, to each his own, and I wasn't comparing Flat to Parcel (parcel is easy enough) only Flat to wrapped-Flat-Box priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
jjloc wrote:

Ahhh, USPS is dying on the vine anyway just thought I'd help it along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:
jjloc wrote:

Exactly what I do too.

I hope you realize that misusing flat-rate boxes in this manner is a federal crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
jjloc wrote:

My thought exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Karadek wrote:
jjloc wrote:

Exactly what I do too.

I hope you realize that misusing flat-rate boxes in this manner is a federal crime.

Yeah, I didn't really wanna be the one to say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Shipping increases, PayPal/Ebay charges increases...I am seriously to the point where I might do all of my transactions once a year at BGG.CON through the MathTrade, Virtual flea market, and the flea market itself. I find I get better deals.

See you guys in November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

Totally agree, I would take it a step further though and say just eliminate the USPS all together - FedEx and UPS have much better on time delivery and fewer lost packages than USPS. I'm not sure if FedEx and UPS want to maintain a daily route person for letters though.

I really hope you're not talking about shipping to Canada. UPS and Fedex WILL charge a $50 "brokerage fee" to the recipient of the package. For Canadians, USPS/CanadaPost was really the only cost-effective option for shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.