Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Riff Raff but there's one thing about the game that I'm not in love with. The rule that you immediately win if you play your last piece is a bit of a letdown.

When we play 4 player games sometimes it'll be down to the last round and 2-3 players will have played a flawless game so far. There's no crappier feeling than not losing a single piece but still losing the game because they saved their 10 card until the end (fyi, it was actually me that pulled off the victory in this case but the victory felt bittersweet). Even if multiple people saved their 10 until the very end, the winner would then be decided by the current captain... that's even worse.

Does anyone out there have some better ideas for determining the winner if there's a tie going into the last round?

My best idea so far is:

Keep track of the pieces you've caught throughout the game. If you go out in the final round, continue the round as normal but skip the turn of anyone that will be unable to go out. After everyone has gone, among all players that have no pieces left, the winner is the player who caught the least number of pieces throughout the game. If 2 (or more) players have placed all their pieces without catching any throughout the game, they share the victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually played this yet, but what if the tied players each had a chance to play their last piece, if nothing falls off, then they have to start removing pieces until a piece falls off. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

When a player plays their last piece, everyone has a chance to play their final pieces (even if they have more than two pieces and could not win with one more turn.)

Players who were able to play all their pieces by the end of the final turn reveal their remaining Turn Order cards and add up their total. The player with the lower total wins (meaning they had played more of the riskier higher-point cards.)

If players tie or none of the completed players have cards remaining then all tied players win.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
If there are multiple players having a flawless game, your group must be playing this very differently from how my group does it.

When we place pieces, it's usually in the most awkward manner possible in hopes of getting someone to tip the boat. Round one crates on the upper yardarm are a common practice. We are a salty bunch though arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
If there are multiple players having a flawless game, your group must be playing this very differently from how my group does it.

When we place pieces, it's usually in the most awkward manner possible in hopes of getting someone to tip the boat. Round one crates on the upper yardarm are a common practice. We are a salty bunch though :arrrh:

haha, most of us do that as well. Some of us are pretty good at catching items before they fall though and we typically have 1 or 2 players that aren't as good and typically empty the boat for the 2 better players :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.