Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the Kickstarter I've discovered Sergeants Miniatures, but I would like to have British vs. Germans. Is there, or will there be a starter with just them? What would be the best way to proceed?

I understand that the game is much better with an expansion, what are the recommended purchases for a new player taking into consideration that I'm not interested in the American units.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ganshaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red Devils Kickstarter is exactly what you are looking for, a starter with British and Germans. You are right, the expansion does make the game better. I can tell you what I did getting into SMG and how that might relate to the KS campaign. You can decide from there...
I started with Day of Days and with in a month bought Road to Caretan along with an American and German Assault squad. That was about a year ago and I've been adding ever since.
So how does that relate to KS? Red Devils is the starter for this storyline. The expansion will be Pegasus Bridge which is at the 90K stretch goal (if it goes that far). At the $90 level you get the base game and some nice extras are added from there. As for myself the $335 (now $340) level gives quite a bit of flavor for this storyline. If/when the stretch goals are hit, you might also want to consider adding some of the extras.
Hope that answers at least some of your questions.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it sure does. So at what level should I be Kickstarting to have a fun force with enough maps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan, Chris pretty much hit it spot on. I would add that there are two story lines here...the original story, starting with Day of Days, plus its add ons, concerns the Yanks vs Germans. The kickstarter offering is a new, different story line with the Brits vs the Germans. So if you want to only follow that story line, then kickstarter would be a good way to jump in. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Byrns wrote:
Thanks, it sure does. So at what level should I be Kickstarting to have a fun force with enough maps?

Brian, the level you kickstart depends on your budget too as well. But the Pathfinders or Infiltrators level will certainly give you enough troops for now (though you will certainly want to add to them later on, as we all have). But as far as the map goes, the map that comes with the Red Devils set should hold you over for awhile, though you will want to get Pegasus Bridge when it comes out, just like those of us getting Day of Days also jumped in and got Road to Carentan when it came out. It's a natural progression to expand your SMG gaming experience.

The Hasty Positions terrain set came with Day of Days/Road to Carentan scenarios only, but now they are adding 6 more scenarios for the Red Devils with this release, so that will help give more variety right out of the gate from this kickstarter.

The game won't come out until May, so that will give plenty of time to enjoy the base set and Hasty Positions (if you pledge $160+) until Pegasus Bridge comes out if it's stretch goal isn't met with this kicstarter project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the funding levels, I don't know how quickly Pegasus Bridge will come out (if it's not funded by KS). I suspect it will not take a great deal of time, though. Like Road to Carentan rapidly expanded Day for the original buyers, we realize that there is much need for extra terrain. (And with sufficient KS funding, there will be more. Already there are potentially six more squares, and all I can say is, it could get bigger very soon.)

One thing for everyone to consider is that both storylines occur in the same basic geography and the maps will be fully compatible. Since all SMG scenarios come with a VP level, it would not be difficult to adapt (for example) Road to Carentan scenarios to use British troops and Red Devils Germans. You just replace any named Characters with the ones who match up (the Senior or Junior NCO or the private) and keep in mind that, say, a random event that says something about "Dreher" is actually applying to Schlesinger.

With a little effort, I think you (and everyone else) can merge any of the sets, although we have noted how many people want "more scenarios that combine sets" and will work on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true Kevin. Road to Carentan will add a lot of terrain and should be easy enough to convert with the Red Devils set. I guess the thing for a new person to the game (through this kickstarter) is whether they want to get RTC right away if Pegasus Bridge would be along only a couple/few months later after people receive their copies of the Red Devils in May/June.

I've already planned on using my British soldiers in some Road to Carentan and Hasty Positions scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.