Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Which side is this balanced towards?

If it's towards the OL, my players are going to quit the game because of the ridiculous balance issues we've run into so far.

If it's towards the heroes, I'm going to sit around being frustrated for a couple hours.

I'm hoping this is one of the quests which they attempted to balance evenly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once (actually, I'm currently playing it in PBF Campaign 5), but it seems like it's pretty decently balanced. We would be in much better shape if we hadn't had two X rolls on turn 1, but we still have a chance to win it. The Overlord has his chance as well, but if I had to make a judgment with what little experience I have with it, I'd say it's tilted slightly in favor of the heroes.

The good thing about The Overlord Revealed is that it's much shorter than The Shadow Vault. If it weren't for the fact that The Shadow Vault has twice as many Search Tokens to pick up, I would almost suggest that every campaign go through The Overlord Revealed, regardless of who wins more Act I quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Which side is this balanced towards?

If it's towards the OL, my players are going to quit the game because of the ridiculous balance issues we've run into so far.

If it's towards the heroes, I'm going to sit around being frustrated for a couple hours.

I'm hoping this is one of the quests which they attempted to balance evenly.

In the one poll I know of, over 50% of respondants said it was balanced with a few more leaning towards slightly favoring the OL:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/893446/poll-of-polls-differe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many times did you played each quest so far?
I cannot tell for sure, but in my opinion all quest are fairly balanced.
I didn't played them all. But I read others people reports where they complain about balance issues where my group experience was quite opposite. So I think it depends more on hero's class and sills combination, wrong decisions made, luck and things like that.
In this particular quest at the beginning Overlord has put pressure upon heroes and it was rather heroes struggle to win, but at the same they controlled situation and won eventually.
We are heading toward the end of first campaign. And we already want to start from the beginning. I'm pretty sure that if we will play the same quest they can result in very different way. Especially as there's going to be new overlord
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:

Thanks for the link. That's interesting data even considering the small sample size.

Another thing I find interesting in that poll is that the questions regarding balance in the second act have about half as many votes as the question regarding the first act quests.

This could indicate that most people don't make it into the second act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Ignipes wrote:
How many times did you played each quest so far?

Only once through so far.

ignipes wrote:
I read others people reports where they complain about balance issues where my group experience was quite opposite. So I think it depends more on hero's class and sills combination, wrong decisions made, luck and things like that.

It's encouraging to hear that you're having a better experience.

ignipes wrote:
We are heading toward the end of first campaign. And we already want to start from the beginning. I'm pretty sure that if we will play the same quest they can result in very different way. Especially as there's going to be new overlord

I'm hoping that the interlude can turn it around for my group, otherwise we'll never get to the end of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Another thing I find interesting in that poll is that the questions regarding balance in the second act have about half as many votes as the question regarding the first act quests.

This could indicate that most people don't make it into the second act.

I think all that indicates is that there are twice as many Act II quests than there are Act I quests, and in any given campaign, you are choosing three of the five Act I quests and three of the ten Act II quests. Naturally, each of the Act II quests will be played less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
What I am referring to in this instance is that there are 39 people who voted on the act I quests and only 19 who voted on the act II quests.

It's too small a sample size to make any firm conclusions, but it could indicate that fewer people are playing the act II quests.

It could indicate other stuff as well.

At this point I guess I'm just making conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I didn't vote on 2nd act quests because I don't think I can tell anything about balance before I play on both sides.

Still there are some things you can already see - most people seem to choose fat goblin in their campaigns. All 39 voters put vote on first blood, and as many as 38 put their vote on fat goblin.

All other quests are in their twenties, which is not much more than number of people that voted on 2nd act. Sure, votes are more diluted in 2nd act, but most people should have seen only 1 of 2 quests corresponding to each 1st act quest, unless they played 2 campaigns.

I would be closer to say that number of people quit after first blood + fat goblin, but those who stick usually go to the end. Possibly twice, considering how many votes each 2nd act quest has.

Of course with this sample size we could as well be talking without any data And those people from second act might have been doing epic plays, who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.