Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well since we all have time waiting on new version to come out, I have been working on plying UF using a hex and counter map and dice. It is kind of a combination of Frontline General, Squad Leader, and Panzer General. You use counters to represent your cards. Terrain on the map is used for modifiers. Still working out combat results. Will post more later with photos as it progresses.
Anyone else ever thought of doing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I just play Combat Commander or any number of my existing hex and counter games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb

EDIT: Damnation, too slow finding the image number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I don't own CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gre81 wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't own CC.

so what are you waiting for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Loveless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love me some Combat Commander, but I do think there could be a need for a skirmish level version. That's one of the things that drew me into Up Front.I love the idea of leading a group of individual men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sucklingpig wrote:
I love me some Combat Commander, but I do think there could be a need for a skirmish level version. That's one of the things that drew me into Up Front.I love the idea of leading a group of individual men.

Yup, that's it.

A skirmish (man to man) WWII combat game would be really cool.

Greg, please post your progresses here, as the idea of UF with some kind of board also happened to me a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Frontline General Spearpoint 1943 with the map expansion. Also their their Italy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, each to his own, but on the squad level, seen from the Squad Leader's perspective, Up Front handles the concept of terrain far better than any hex and counter game. But if you want more of a game and less of a simulation, then by all means go ahead.

Or I can suggest digging up an old copy of Firepower or Close Combat.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except Up Front is on a really squad level, while the usual WWII wargames are more at the platoon/Company level...

Up Front is closer to a very tactical (1 mini = 1 man) miniature wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.