Subject: Can't remember the name of a TCG I played in 2000-2001 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Wolfe
United States
Laurel
Delaware
flag msg tools
I was in middle school and after the Pokemon craze had died down, my friend introduced me to another TCG. This one was based in space and had a couple different factions. Each of them had all sorts of spaceships ranging from scouting ships to juggernauts. Each faction/race had it's signature color (there was a green one and an orange one for sure). I think the cards had a brown palatte.

It's been bugging me all day that I can't think of the name. I had a giant stack of cards that I would bring to school in a ziplock bag. Help me figure out the name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happend to the cards you had from back then? I'd say take a gander at the back of them if you have them.

If you don't have them anymore then don't bother it probably wasn't that good of a game anyway otherwise it'd still be around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be thinking of Star of the Guardians?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3502/star-of-the-guardian...?

The only other one I remember from that era was Galactic Empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolfe
United States
Laurel
Delaware
flag msg tools
jjloc wrote:
What happend to the cards you had from back then? I'd say take a gander at the back of them if you have them.

If you don't have them anymore then don't bother it probably wasn't that good of a game anyway otherwise it'd still be around.

Haha, good point. I'm not sure what happened to them. They might still be in a bag at the back of a closet at my dad's house.

Magentawolf wrote:
You might be thinking of Star of the Guardians?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3502/star-of-the-guardian...?

The only other one I remember from that era was Galactic Empires.

The Star of the Guardians images look really familiar and the names sound right, but it's like we had, perhaps, an updated artwork version of it? It says the game was released in 1995, so maybe they had an artwork overhaul by 2000. But the general look of the ships and the names of the cards look spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Quest might be it. Though it was a terrible game. it seems the middle of the 90's was the time of CCG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolfe
United States
Laurel
Delaware
flag msg tools
chang1701 wrote:
Star Quest might be it. Though it was a terrible game. it seems the middle of the 90's was the time of CCG's.

Nah, it definitely wasn't that.

I agree that the mid 90's saw an explosion in these types of games, kinda like how it's all about zombies right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't too many space-themed CCGs/TCGs that I can recall. Just these:

Galactic Empires (1994)
Star of the Guardians (1995)
WARS Trading Card Game (2004)

This last one was based on the Decipher's original Star Wars Customizable Card Game, released in 1995. After they lost the Star Wars license to Wizards of the Coast (who went on to make the forgettable Star Wars: Trading Card Game), Decipher put out WARS in 2004, reusing the same mechanics but with their own original content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolfe
United States
Laurel
Delaware
flag msg tools
Bokrug wrote:

Why I didn't follow through with Magentawolf's suggestion of Galactic Empires is beyond me (I blame me being sick), but it's definitely that. Thanks, peoples. It was bugging the crap out of me. I don't remember how well it actually played, probably because we didn't play the rules totally correctly, but it was definitely fun to pull out at lunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpankyTheElf wrote:
Bokrug wrote:

Why I didn't follow through with Magentawolf's suggestion of Galactic Empires is beyond me (I blame me being sick), but it's definitely that. Thanks, peoples. It was bugging the crap out of me. I don't remember how well it actually played, probably because we didn't play the rules totally correctly, but it was definitely fun to pull out at lunch.

It had the oddest deck-building rules I've come across so far, and the quality of the cards ranged from shocking to serviceable.

The resource management portion of gameplay and the fact that damage would carry over between turns and could be repaired were excellent mechanics to me at the time.

I'm not sure I ever played a real game of Galactic Empires, though... I generally used the cards to play my own games!

There was also an entire 'joke'? expansion revolving around alien comedy clubs, and ships themed to match. Heavy Weapons included Lead Balloons and other various things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.