Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, today was the big day.

Where's everyone staying for the Con this year?

I'm at the Embassy Suites Wed-Sun. So, you'll find me at the free happy hour every day....awwww, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
After 15 minutes trying to get in and another 15 minutes in the queue for the hotel portal I got a room at the J.W. Marriott.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have enough money to stay downtown. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, neither do I. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Westin Wed-Mon. :thumbup:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
Knuteski wrote:
So, today was the big day.

Where's everyone staying for the Con this year?

I'm at the Embassy Suites Wed-Sun. So, you'll find me at the free happy hour every day....awwww, yeah.

Can anyone just show up for that free happy hour or do you need a guest key? I'm over at the Comfort Inn Suites just a little south of the Con Hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to show a room key unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Battle
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comfort Inn and Suites Downtown Wed - Sun :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.W. Marriott woohoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staying at the Holiday Inn right near the convention center. My first Gen Con! Super pumped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the Westin this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
Knuteski wrote:
You need to show a room key unfortunately.

Ah too bad, kind of figured though. What times are they each day and what do they offer? I've really liked the Comfort Inn Suites but maybe the Embassy is worth checking out too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thinking this year might be a gigantic bump in attendance. Apparently the badge sales are vastly outpacing last year, and ALL of the downtown hotels are gobbled up.

Last year I booked Downtown Marriot in late Feb or early March. I couldn't this time. I was lucky to snag a room at the Omni. Reports from some Facebook buddies is indicating that the closest they can find now is 10+ miles away. And, this is day 1 of housing registration. I don't think this has ever happened.

Been discussing with some others. Gencon is booked in Indy through 2015?

2016? Gencon San Diego?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Reischl

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J-dub. With my sister and Dad, he's a real OG (old gamer ) and this will be his first game convention EVER!! We're planning to do Watchmen costumes, so if you see us give a shout out to a fellow BGGeek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hey! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission accomplished: con-adjacent hotel secured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Copac
United States
Hudson
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a room in the Hyatt Regency. Ready for my first GenCon ever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Embassy Suites. Never stayed there before. Stayed at the JW last year and was very pleased. Stayed at the Sheraton 3 years ago and didn't care for the walk. Looking forward to that free breakfast!

Getting the room was a very stressful 20 minutes. At one point the only thing that came back on my search was The Alexander. Pro tip: change the number of people you're booking a room for to get different results. Just be careful about the room you choose! I searched for 4 guests, and JW didn't have anything. I searched for 2 guests, and JW came back with a room with 2 queens. Go figure.

And yes, you'll have to sort out the actual number of guests for your room later. But I haven't seen anyone lose their room over it.

But after all is said and done, I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
Pro tip: change the number of people you're booking a room for to get different results. Just be careful about the room you choose! I searched for 4 guests, and JW didn't have anything. I searched for 2 guests, and JW came back with a room with 2 queens. Go figure.

That worked earlier when the site first came online. They're all gone now. My guess is that this state is created when people I clicking and checking out various options. It probably blocks out a room for a minute.

For example, I saw various times that it would show rooms available on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday at a given hotel, but not on Thursday or Friday. Refresh come back. They are visible.

I don't think changing the guests has any effect. Just constantly clicking search and I got lucky with my booking at Omni. They were disapearing fast. If I waited any longer, I bet everything would have been eaten up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got a room at the Conrad, but I had to go through Travelocity because all the adjacent hotels were booked through the Housing bureau.

I tend to agree about how quickly things booked up. This is only my second Gen Con, but last year, I booked a room at the JW on February 27. I'm surprised that the rooms were gone so fast this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyatt downtown, Wed-Sun which I hope will be an improved location from Springhill Suites. Springhill has nice rooms, but is a bit of a convoluted haul from the action.

Hopefully some more hotel rooms open up soon for those that are left out of downtown and I hope that the housing folks can get more downtown rooms allocated to GenCon next year.

Some options for those having trouble:
Instead of an airport hotel, you can stay on Rockville Road near I-465, Rockville road has a straight shot to downtown at the convention center. While this is less convienient than downtown, your rates will be half of downtown, a 10 minute drive, and better than the airport.

Also from GenCon:
"There has been a significant year-over-year increase in hotel demand, leading to lengthier response times from both the website and the call-in number. If you missed the beginning of the Housing Registration kickoff, need to get on the waitlist, and/or have a specific lodging need or request, please contact Visit Indy's Housing office at 317-262-8191.

Many waitlist requests have been processed in prior years as attendees change their lodging needs, so the Gen Con team recommends trying it out, if necessary.

Should you have additional housing questions or concerns, please email customerservice@gencon.com, and they will respond promptly to your message."

Oh, and GenCon is booked for Indy through 2020.

•August 15-18, 2013
•August 14-17, 2014
•July 30 – August 2, 2015
•August 4-7, 2016
•August 17-20, 2017
•August 2-5, 2018
•August 1-4, 2019
•July 30 – August 2, 2020
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Courtyard by Marriot near the Capitol. 4 blocks. First Gen Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first gen con, and I have been quite lucky so far. Got both my VIG badge and first choice hotel (embassy suites). Pretty happy so far. Looking forward to the con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am vengeance. I am the night. I am BATMAN!
mbmbmbmbmb
Raevian wrote:
Comfort Inn and Suites Downtown Wed - Sun

Same here. Stayed there 2 years ago and loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planned on the Hilton, but everything booked up insanely fast. Audibled to the J.W. Marriott, which I know is very nice. Bonus: its concave shape causes a death ray on the sidewalk on sunny days.

Housing has gone pretty fast the last couple of years, but this year it seems like a return to the horror stories you used to hear (this is only my fourth Gen Con). I was online at 12 PM EST sharp, by the time the portal let me in and I was searching, I couldn't find two-bed rooms at my first five or so choices!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
Embassy Suites. Never stayed there before. Stayed at the JW last year and was very pleased. Stayed at the Sheraton 3 years ago and didn't care for the walk. Looking forward to that free breakfast!

Getting the room was a very stressful 20 minutes. At one point the only thing that came back on my search was The Alexander. Pro tip: change the number of people you're booking a room for to get different results. Just be careful about the room you choose! I searched for 4 guests, and JW didn't have anything. I searched for 2 guests, and JW came back with a room with 2 queens. Go figure.

And yes, you'll have to sort out the actual number of guests for your room later. But I haven't seen anyone lose their room over it.

But after all is said and done, I'm pretty happy with what I got.

I've stayed at the Embassy ever year and it's awesome. Free full breakfast, free cocktails in the evening. And the lounge on the first floor is great for board gaming.

I also book the room as one, and then go back into the system a week later and add my friends. Works every time, and I don't have to waste time adding their info during the server fires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.