7 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Empire at War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of you played the Empire At War RTS for computer?

The space battles in that game were really fun and it got me thinking that an Xwing variant inspired by that game might be fun.

Each team has a space station with a set amount of shields and hull. Each team gets 75 (or some number) of points to work with at the start of the game.

They get to start all of their ships within range 1 of their space station.

In addition to asteroids, there are two asteroid mines on the map equidistant to both space stations.

If you end your turn within range 1 of the mine using a green maneuver and using your action to claim the mine, your team takes control of that mine, granting you an extra 25 points (or some number scaled to the starting amount) to work with.

You can then spend those points on new ships or upgrades. New ships can spawn at your base during movement phase. Any upgrades you wish to apply to ships already in combat have to be done at the space station in the same manner as claiming a mine.

The object is to destroy the enemy's space station. Any ships that get destroyed can respawn at your space station during movement phase granted you have enough points to spend on them.

Does this sound like a fair, balance, and fun game mode?

It would obviously need some fine tuning but it might be worth trying out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds cool to me. I think you would need a larger area than the standard 3' x 3' to make it interesting. It would also be a much longer game too with the respawning aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
This sounds cool to me. I think you would need a larger area than the standard 3' x 3' to make it interesting. It would also be a much longer game too with the respawning aspect.

Yeah a larger space would probably be necessary for this. Especially given the space stations. I'm not sure how large they would need to be! Those are all things that would need to be hashed out but it might be neat.

Can anyone tell me how they make those official looking rule books and cards?

If I find out how to make those I might work this scenario out more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that game!

One of my favorite parts was the hardpoints on the bigger ships and stations that you could destroy to weaken them. I think that would be a great mechanical component to add to this game. Most od the ships are too big, but a ship or station the size of a corellian corvette would work well.

I think it would make for a good solo variant. Any time you are in the ship's or station's firing arcs, it shoots at you. You have to destory all of it's hardpoints before it can take out your fighters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of more of a competitive aspect. Sort of the same as that but each side gets a station. The stations guns would be wimpy but a lot of hull and shields. The focus of the gameplay should still be on the ships I think.

I've started writing sown a lot of rules and station stats that I plan on testing out as soon as I can. I will keep you guys updated.

Can anyone tell me how people make those great looking images of custom cards and rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Crabtree
msg tools
RogueLieutenant wrote:
Hector131 wrote:

Yeah a larger space would probably be necessary for this. Especially given the space stations. I'm not sure how large they would need to be! Those are all things that would need to be hashed out but it might be neat.

Can anyone tell me how they make those official looking rule books and cards?

If I find out how to make those I might work this scenario out more.

You need some version of Adobe Photoshop.
http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=183

you can find templates of the cards here to go off of. they have all the layers and everything you might need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend pointed out that the IMPs would have an advantage on grabbing mines since they have more ships.

Rather than having the mines equidistant to each space station, one should be closer to each space station. Making it essentially free for the taking for each side, though still able to be stolen later.

Another thought on the space stations, just some stats I thought up.

Skill: 0
Attack: 2 (x2)
Agility: 0
Hull: 10
Sheilds: 10

The station would have two laser cannons (each covering one side of the station with no overlapping arcs of fire), therefore it would get to make two attacks during the attack phase, one with each cannon.

Potential upgrades for the space stations would be a cannon upgrade that adds +1 attk and one that recharges a sheild during the activation phase. both of those would probably have to be pretty spendy upgrades.

Thoughts on this stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.