Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for posting yet another thread asking for expansion advice. I've looked through all the talk I could find on the subject, and couldn't come up with anything that answered my specific need.

I just got the base game along with a Barnes & Noble gift card, which I plan on using to expand. To start off with, I'm planning on getting 2 small box expansions and just doing something else in place of injury and madness for now. One expansion I am DEFINITELY picking up is the King In Yellow, because I love the theme (AND I've heard it's the best one).

For the second small expansion, I am torn between Lurker at the Threshold and Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (revised). I know the basic ideas behind each one, and each seems fun for thematic reasons (love the idea of dark pacts, but Nyarlathotep is one of my favorite Old Ones, thematically...but so is Yog Sothoth!). What I'd really like to know about are the Location Encounter cards that come with each expansion, since those are the thinnest decks. I can't find specific info about those anywhere. I'd also like to know about the new items/spells and what makes them cool or not.

My #1 priority is theme and immersion. I don't need anything to make the game harder right now. I will mostly be playing solo, and don't have the space or the familiarity with the game yet to be playing 4 investigators by myself. So I'm looking for something that scales well for small games, adds meaningfully to the Location decks, and integrates well with the King in Yellow (in case I decide to include both). Tons of theme is a huge plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Main_Page

Specifically:

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Card_list

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Location - click on location that interests you and sort by expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Pharaoh has the best theme of any expansion, big or small. Get that if your priority is theme.

But I should note that King in Yellow and Dark Pharaoh are the only two expansions without Gate Bursts. Thus, you won't alleviate the late-game slowdown that results from sealing gates. Perhaps the double-doom Mythos cards and the Three Acts mechanics will circumvent this, though.

Also, Dark Pharaoh adds the most neighborhood encounter cards of all the small-box expansions (but not by much).

My second recommendation is Lurker just because it comes with so much stuff, but its theme isn't nearly as good as Dark Pharaoh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea you could sort the cards by expansion. That helps tremendously! All I'd been able to find so far was a huge chunk of unsorted images of the location cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite expansion is Black Goat of the Woods, but I'm in the vocal minority. The Corruption cards really add a lot and the extra cup for hex monsters (drawing one from each cup when monsters are drawn upon a gate opening or taking turns drawing from each cup on a monster surge) really adds to the toughness.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Rice
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Pharoah (my fav small box expansion so far)....

The theme is so prevelant when you add it in. It also adds the artifact items which are pretty sweet - and if you're using the DP hearald...they add major difficulty to the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite all the recommendations for Dark Pharaoh, I ended up getting Lurker. Why? Using that Wiki resource, I took a look at some of the added cards, and Lurker's spells (especially the ones that deal with gate manipulation) just seemed like something I'd enjoy using more than Pharaoh's exhibit items. Then I splurged and got Dunwich Horror too. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.