Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davor Copic
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am considering getting into this 'dead' game, but was wondering if the 2 player starter feels like a standalone game. Is it too complicated to teach to new players, considering I intend to play it more like a board game? How long does it take someone to learn the basic rules?

What other items should I purchase to make it feel more like a standalone game? Map packs, Series 4 starters (to allow more players to play), etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Does the 2 player starer feel like a standalone game?
um... its a two player starter. Yes. Its standalone if you so desire and do not need anything else to play a 2 player game.

Its got two factions, each with 1 big monster each (with its ultra form), 12 or so units each in a good variety, I believe 6 (9?) buildings and the dice, rules, 2-sided map, health tracker etc.
And only one element is random. The monster you get 1 from a selection of 2. Which makes it essentially not random. Aside from the possible combos of factions in a box.

And a good buy for the price. You can check out the loadouts at their site.

The core game is pretty straightforward really. Its the sheer complexity and variety of the individual monsters and units and buildings that things get complex.

Really, the basic game is move, spawn units,spend dice, smash stuff, wrassle other monsters.

Theres some good how-to-play vids up too.

Try this review too
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/577492/monsterpocalypse-2-pl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davor Copic
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I rather wondered if the 2 player starter has enough depth on its own without boosters and army construction to be engaging for more then a few play sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wood
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
um... its a two player starter. Yes. Its standalone if you so desire and do not need anything else to play a 2 player game.

As to the question as to whether it FEELs like a standalone game (as opposed to the bare bones start of a much larger system), I would have to say...it depends. I'm sure you could play it as such (pretending that there aren't other units/factions out there). Personally, I think you will be short on buildings and, more importantly, short on choice for building your force, which is a big part of the fun. Yes, the game itself is very fun on its own, no matter what monsters or units you field. But I think, if you like the game, you will be sorely tempted to acquire additional figures in short order in order to fully enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats only if you want more than the basics. Thats a different matter from what stands.

As is. If The starters were all there was, aside from the DMZs. It would feel like a standalone game. Theres enough units and just enough buildings to play as you want. Sure the game can allways use more buildings. But thats even irrelevant if just going with the Starter.

You have a monster, units and 4 buildings each. Have at it.

Then if you want more you can delve into the DMZ boxes which add a combiner, a faction bulding, and more monsters and units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have THREE two player starters, and thus have an army for each of the six factions, plus 27 buildings to draft a city with. At this point it definitely feels like a complete boxed game.

I agree that with one starter, you won't have enough buildings to fill the map with. You want two sets minimum to have a "full" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davor Copic
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up purchasing two 2-player starters. Do you have any recommendations as to what to purchase next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the factions that came with your starters, you can complete the faction set (except for 1 monster, see below) by purchasing the DMZ box for that faction.

The starter sets contain only series 1 Monsters/units. Each faction in series 1 had 2 monsters, & you'll have 1 of them & all the series 1 units. The DMZ boxes will contain everything from series 2 & 3 for that faction: 2 regular monsters, 1 morpher monster, all units, 2 faction installations.

You could find the other series 1 monster on the singles market pretty easily, I'd think, if you're interested in it.

For more variety, the map packs are really great, & they come with an extra building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would get all 12 of the Series 1 monsters before I would think about picking up DMZ. But that's because I think of Monpoc as a closed boardgame. If you plan to play somewhat competitively, against someone else's armies, then DMZ is a great tool for bringing you up to speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.