Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stig Mandal
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had 'Hammer of the Scots' on the shelf for a year, before the game finally got its debut last evening.
It was the first block-game for both me and my opponent, and we had a blast!

I'm thinking about getting 2nd ed. cards and stickers from Columbia, and at the same time getting another game from them in their 25%-sale - and would like suggestions!

I already have 'Rommel in the Desert' (and 'Slapshot' on preorder!) from my doublepack from a year ago, so I don't need that one (I'm really looking forward to try it now!!).

For 2p-games, I have preferances for 'Chess', 'E&T' and 'TdD' (and 'HotS' - and, unlike my opponent from yesterday, I don't like 'A&A' or 'Battle Cry'.
So the game should be without too much of a disturbing luck-factor, but nicely done as in 'HofS', were it seems to catch the flavour of the time really well!

And, btw - we played the Braveheart-scenario, and both sides had their golden moments during the game - several times!
So it was very exciting and we went into the last year tied on nobles, and then the Scots (me!) won an important big battle - and a minor victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Wizard Kings. The basic game is great, and if you want you can always get more expansion armies and maps. Really fun stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to second Wizard Kings because that is my favorite game. I love all the armies. This game is like 10 games in one box. There is such a variety of ways to play this game. Mostly my husband and I play using armies built by a set number of points. With this game, you are destroying your enemy and taking over territories. With each territory, you can build up your army each turn. This game is a lot different from HotS.

If you are looking for something more like HotS, you may like Crusader Rex. It is not as unbalanced as HotS but there is more movement if you are the Muslim army. By unbalanced I mean, England begins a little more powerful because they are the rulers. With Crusader Rex, you have to capture core cities. The only bonus you really have is when you are a defender with a castle, you can retreat into the castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Muller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
I recently played Mid-East Peace. I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The game "bits" aren't anything to write home about but the game itself plays well. The rules explanation goes fairly quickly. There is a nice tension to the game balancing the economic, military and diplomatic aspects of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you want to forego the cards aspect, I'd suggest Napoleon, which is pretty interesting, with a bit more bluff than the others. The board is way too small for the huge number of blocks, but it's a quick, clean-playing game, that has both strategy and tactical battles, (not just rolling for your 4 strength B2s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed Hammer of the Scots, but I like Crusader Rex even more. Haven't played any of their other ones...yet. Several taunt me from the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good to hear the recommendations for Wizard Kings, since I just ordered it. I wanted something to play with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryder wrote:
I'm thinking about getting 2nd ed. cards and stickers from Columbia, and at the same time getting another game from them in their 25%-sale - and would like suggestions!

Here's a quick run down. I'd decide based on theme. You usually can't go too wrong with a Columbia Game (there are exceptions of course!)

Cruader Rex : 3rd Crusade Theme. Very similar to HoS (swap out noble trading for siege warefare and area movement for point to point). The newest 1.3 rules seem (haven't had a chance to test them yet) to have balanced the game a lot more. Previously a weak Saracen player could trounce a strong Frank player, especially if the Frank player got a few unlucky dice rolls (putting too much dependence on luck for the Franks to survive the first several years). It's supposed to be hard on the Franks at first, but I don't think it was meant to be that hard.

Wizard Kings : Fantasy battle theme. Map boards can be combined in any way for variety. You can buy extra maps as well, with #9 - #12 being the best by popular opinion (they add new options to the game, unlike 5-8). You can create your own armies using a point system. Additional army expansions can be purchased as well, and is recommended for variety and hosting more players. You can create your own scenarios or use one published on the Columbia Games website.

Liberty : American Revolution theme. Uses most of the same game mechanics as HoS and CRex. Haven't played yet myself but a good choice I've heard if you like the theme. Introduces more weather effects. Movement is similar to HoS, except it uses Hexes instead (using hex side limits and terrain effects). This is on my personal list to buy next.

EastFront : WW2 Germany vs. Russia. The best of the Front series, and also considered one of the best Eastern Front Theater games. Can be combined with other modules later (WestFront, MedFront) to create EuroFront for a huge game. If you like WW2, this is a great one to get. Large supporting community too. One caveat, there's talk of upgrading/changing the Front series. You can wait, although the new game could be messed up in comparison to how EF has been perfected over the years.

Pacific Victory : WW2 Pacific Theater theme. Combines some of the better rule elements of the Front series and Victory game. Seen more as a historical simulation game and is very tough on the Japanese player which is it's greatest fault.

Victory : WW2 theme. It's like Wizard Kings. The maps are modular, and you can build your own armies. There's additional maps and armies you can purchase as well. Having not played it, I don't know if the rumors that it lacks compared to other WW2 board games is true or not. I plan on getting it eventually and combining it with Wizard Kings for some extra snazzy fun.

There's also some civil war ones. I haven't played those or read the rules so won't comment, though I heard Gettysburg is pretty good.

Here are some good geeklists for further reading:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Enjoy!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Mandal
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

I've read about the games, and decided to take one that isn't that far away from HotS - and went for Liberty.
We did another game of HotS last evening, and we really like it, so Liberty should be a safe choice.

With RitD at the shelf, I think it's wise to try that first, and see if more blocks and more complicated rules will give me a gaming-partner for those games as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.