Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daoust
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm confused!arrrh

The new 2005 Mayfair rulebook states that you may make as many trades as you wish with as many different ressources and commodities as you have at a rate of 2:1. e.g., on the same turn 2 wood for one brick and 2 wheat for one brick.

However, Mayfair RulesGuru says only one type of ressource/commodity can be traded for each Merchant Fleet. e.g. it's like a 2:1 harbour on one ressource/commodoty until end of turn. This is also what my 2002 French version says.

What does the 2005 3D German rulebook state for this? Jeff Paull??? anybody???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Bis zum Ende Ihres Zuges duerfen Sie eine Rohstoffsorte oder eine Handelsware Ihrer Wahl beliebig oft im Verhaeltnis 2:1 tauschen.

Bei diesem Tausch muessen Sie immer die gleichen Rohstoffkarten oder die gleichen Handelswaren abgeben. Kartenkombinationen sind nicht erlaubt.

So ist es zB erlaubt, beliebig oft 2 Papierkarten abzugeben und sich dafuer 1 beliebigen Rohstoff zu nehmen, oder 1 beliebige Handelsware."

This wording is unchanged from the last version of the German rules for Staedte und Ritter as posted on the luding website. I'll offer this translation, but please feel free to improve on it!

"At any time during your turn, you may trade a raw material or a commodity of your choice, as many times as you like, in the ratio 2:1.

In this trade, you must always deliver two cards showing the same raw material or two of the same commodity. Card combinations are not permitted.

For example, you may, as many times as you like, hand over two paper cards and in return receive one raw material of your choice or one commodity of your choice."

Hmmm. I guess it all depends on whether you read "eine" as "a" (any) or "one" (and one only). Looks like it's a question of interpretation rather than translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daoust
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Tim,

I should of put the Mayfair rule in my original post. Here is how it is written:
" For the rest of the turn, you may trade any ressources or commodities at a 2:1 rate. You can make as many trades as you wish, with as many different ressources and commodoties as you have. Each exchange must be 2 matching cards. You may not combine different ressources or commodities to make an exchange. As usual, you may exchange commodoties for ressources and vice versa."

I think this ruling does not match the German ruling. "eine" is probably ONE and only one and not "any". That is how the french version is written and what the Mayfair RulesGuru has answered me.

If this is the case, they should change the english version of the rules to be more clear.

Anybody else have an opinion to what the correct (german) rule is?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mike,

According to KOSMOS rules and FAQ: When you play this card, your choose 1 resource or commodity type. You may then trade this item at 2:1 for any other resource or commodity for the rest of your turn.

Frankly, translations aren't a matter of simple word substitutions.

IMHO, mayfair should stop listing play testers for a game that has won game of the year...and tap a decent translator on the shoulder to help.

In any case, I hope the answer is clear.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.