Subject: OCTGN Netrunner Tournament: NA Overflow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
Hey guys,

I noticed that the waitlist for the NA division of the OCTGN tournament was filling up, so I've created a sister tournament to allow those people in the waitlist and chance to play one another. The rules will be the same as those for the original posted here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/917357/octgn-netrunner-tourn...

The sign up link for this new tournament is:

http://challonge.com/ANR_OCTGN_NA_OVR

I'll close out registration and form the brackets a little after the original, so it will hopefully give people a chance to sign up.

Please sign up by Friday, February 8th 11:59pm GMT, as that is when I'll close out registration and finalize the brackets.

***If anyone who's not on the wait-list for the regular tournament wants to sign up, that's fine. I'd like to give preference to the 30 or so people who are on the wait-list though, so if we get close to filling up the division, please make the decision carefully. Right now that's not an issue though, I'll update if it becomes one.***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the regular tournament (not just waitlist), can I sign up for this one too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
I think that should be fine. I want to give priority to those in the waitlist for the other one, but I don't think there should be a problem with people being in both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I'm currently talking to Shobalk about a 3rd bracket and/or boosting the size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
I'll leave this tournament open for now, that way everyone on the wait list who wants to play still has the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd mention that the rules of the Tourney2 have been updated with the following

Quote:
Stat Tracking
Dbzer0 has built some stat tracking into OCTGN pluggin for us this tournament. It requires that you follow this convention while naming you games in OCTGN.

BGG Tournament 2, Round [Round #]: [USER1] VS [USER2] - Match [Match #]

examples:
BGG Tournament 2, Round 1: Shobalk VS Byronczimmer - Match 1
BGG Tournament 2, Round 1: Shobalk VS Byronczimmer - Match 2

You might want to add something similar, but choose a different Tournament name to separate yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
Awesome, I've updated the rules on the Challonge page. Thanks as always for updating the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we can just get ahead with the opponent we're currently paired with, and people who join later can pair off together? i.e. no randomization of 1st-round pairing, just first-come-first-served.

I'm hoping this tournament will be a lot quicker and more agile than the main one (i.e. rounds end early, go on to the next one). I'll also be using decks I like to play instead of, well, Criminal/Weyland .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Maybe we can just get ahead with the opponent we're currently paired with, and people who join later can pair off together? i.e. no randomization of 1st-round pairing, just first-come-first-served.

I'm hoping this tournament will be a lot quicker and more agile than the main one (i.e. rounds end early, go on to the next one). I'll also be using decks I like to play instead of, well, Criminal/Weyland .

Just an FYI: Challonge doesn't work that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
Alright everyone, the brackets are finalized and the tournament has begun. Remember that the deadline for finishing your round 1 matches is next Friday. Please use this thread to find each other for matches:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/928037/octgn-na-overflow-tou...

Best of luck to everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic schmidt
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
where can i post the results of my first match ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
wormhole surfer wrote:
where can i post the results of my first match ?

Please post match results at the following link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/152865/netrunner-octgn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
I received a question regarding when finalized decks for the tournament would have to be chosen, especially with the tournament beginning right around the time Cyber Exodus came out. Personally I'm fine with having relaxed deck rules for this tournament, i.e having people just commit to particular identities for the swiss rounds and nothing more (thus allowing people to make small changes to their decks throughout the first stage). This way it seems to keep things fair between people who played their first round before Cyber Exodus was released, and people who played afterward.

If we do a set of elimination finals, deck lists would be required for finalists, but as long as nobody has a problem with it we'll keep the deck rules relaxed during the swiss rounds.

Anyone in the tournament who has an issue with this is welcome to speak up and let me know.

Thanks everybody, hope everyone's having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's good to have this tournament be a little different compared to the main one (Cyber Exodus vs. Trace Amount). Fine with me.

Deadline extension for tournament organizer's match? Not too good a precedent to set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to throw a fit one way or the other, but...

Personally, I would prefer everyone keeping the decks they played with in the first round, without alteration.

As to Cyber Exodus... The rules specifically state "Only cards from the following sets may be used to construct your deck: Core, What Lies Ahead, and Trace Amount. Spoiled cards from upcoming Data Packs are not permitted." So some people playing their first round matches after Cyber Exodus was released should have no impact on the tournament... cards from Cyber Exodus were explicitly outlined as not being legal for this tournament from the outset.

I would have chosen different factions/identities altogether if I'd known the rules were going to be changed to allow Cyber Exodus cards to be played mid-tournament. But, that's just my opinion, I'm sticking around no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
selwyth wrote:
Well, it's good to have this tournament be a little different compared to the main one (Cyber Exodus vs. Trace Amount). Fine with me.

Deadline extension for tournament organizer's match? Not too good a precedent to set!

Haha, his opponent didn't show, leaving us with an odd number, so I figured that rather than begin having bye matches I would just sub in and play the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
I'm not going to throw a fit one way or the other, but...

Personally, I would prefer everyone keeping the decks they played with in the first round, without alteration.

As to Cyber Exodus... The rules specifically state "Only cards from the following sets may be used to construct your deck: Core, What Lies Ahead, and Trace Amount. Spoiled cards from upcoming Data Packs are not permitted." So some people playing their first round matches after Cyber Exodus was released should have no impact on the tournament... cards from Cyber Exodus were explicitly outlined as not being legal for this tournament from the outset.

I would have chosen different factions/identities altogether if I'd known the rules were going to be changed to allow Cyber Exodus cards to be played mid-tournament. But, that's just my opinion, I'm sticking around no matter what.

Ah, you know, this is something I hadn't considered. I'd like to allow the cyber exodus cards in order to let people experiment more, and as this is just the overflow tournament I figured the more relaxed the rules, the better for people to relax and have fun with it. I definitely can see how this would affect the factions you chose to play though, so since the rules have changed, nobody should be forced to stay with the same faction from the first round. We could just solidify those after the 2nd round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
witticaster wrote:
This way it seems to keep things fair between people who played their first round before Cyber Exodus was released, and people who played afterward.

If we do a set of elimination finals, deck lists would be required for finalists, but as long as nobody has a problem with it we'll keep the deck rules relaxed during the swiss rounds.

Anyone in the tournament who has an issue with this is welcome to speak up and let me know.

I signed up for this tournament because I was not ready for tournament play when Tournament 2 started. That does not mean I'm not taking it seriously. I felt it was quite clear that Cyber Exodus would not be allowed at any point in this tournament.

I did get my butt kicked Round 1, so it might be in my best interest to shut up and fix my deck, but that's how I feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:

I did get my butt kicked Round 1, so it might be in my best interest to shut up and fix my deck, but that's how I feel.

It wasn't that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
witticaster wrote:
Ah, you know, this is something I hadn't considered. I'd like to allow the cyber exodus cards in order to let people experiment more, and as this is just the overflow tournament I figured the more relaxed the rules, the better for people to relax and have fun with it. I definitely can see how this would affect the factions you chose to play though, so since the rules have changed, nobody should be forced to stay with the same faction from the first round. We could just solidify those after the 2nd round.

If we are going to change the rules, that seems fair to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
I think the most fair thing to do is to open this up for a vote. If everyone can please check their inbox on challonge I've sent out a link to a quick poll asking what people prefer. I'll run with whatever the plurality decides.

-Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Witticaster

Washington
msg tools
mb
Ok, the poll results are in and fixed decks has already received a majority vote, so that's what we'll do. Please keep the same decklist that you've used since round 1 and do not include any Cyber Exodus cards!

Also seeds are out for round 2. There is one change to the listed bracket since we had two people drop from the tournament last night. As such there are two people (saprophyte and coroner) who are matched up against these dropped people. Saprophyte and Coroner will instead be playing each other and we will just record the scores into both of those listed matchups.

Thanks everyone and good luck this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls