Subject: Variant to place more importance on wall-building. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have only played two games of this, so it may be a bit early to consider variants. But I do have an idea.

In the first game, I lost badly because I fussed around too much with the wall of my palace (doing about 5 turns of redesign) - also, I focussed on buying tiles that suited the shape of my wall instead of gaining the lead in different types of tile.

In the second game, I totally abandoned the idea of making a long wall, and instead tried to buy as many tiles in the valueable colours as possible (and maintain my lead in those colours). My only consideration in tile-placement to was keep my options open (another player completely walled themselves in!). I won this game was a margin much larger than the other players could hope to regain in points for their wall.

The wall-building aspect is one of the most fun aspects of the game, so I would like to increase it's importance... so here's my varient idea:

During each scoring round, each player counts only the tiles that comprise their longest continuous section of wall, plus any non-wall tiles adjacent to it.

Hope to hear if anyone tries it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It appears I have the edition of the rules that tells you to only score for walls once (at the end of the game). You are meant to score for walls during all three rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think players need to ficus mostly on tile count to do well. Wall bonuses can make a difference if everyone is playing well. Therefore, once in a while you will have to make decisions about making a wall longer (usually joining 2 sections of wall making a much longer wall), or buying a tile that gives you majority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Coker
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atrium wrote:
It appears I have the edition of the rules that tells you to only score for walls once (at the end of the game). You are meant to score for walls during all three rounds.

Check out this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/13845

We played our first few games only scoring the walls at the end, but have since gone to every round. I prefer the every round version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.