Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Can a person give money to another player for any reason other than to get a general back?
If yes, when can a player give money to another player? Anytime? Or just during the phase that one can "buyback" a general?

Raynovich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kuhn

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are silent about giving money to other players, except for ransom.

Given the game's underlying theme, here are my suggestions for how to deal with this issue, listed in decending order of compliance with the rules in the manual:

1. Payments to other players may only be made to obtain a General.

2. Payments to other players may only be made during Phase Six, but may be given for promises, to cement alliances, etc.

3. Payments to other players may be made at any time.

If you are playing with "rules lawyers", then #1 is probably where you'll end up.

I (personally) think that #2 is appropriate, and keeps players from interrupting the game flow (and perhaps causing other rules-related confusion).

Use #3 at your own risk - it seems inoccuous, but ...

Hope you continue to enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Classic COTE question about giving money to other player
Great minds think alike?

I agreed with your assessment, and in our game last night we actually did us rule 2. However, the rules lawyers in us did say that it seems like option #1 is only allowed. Finally, we did believe that using option #3 would really bog down the game. Thanks for the information.

William

TedFK wrote:
The rules are silent about giving money to other players, except for ransom.

Given the game's underlying theme, here are my suggestions for how to deal with this issue, listed in decending order of compliance with the rules in the manual:

1. Payments to other players may only be made to obtain a General.

2. Payments to other players may only be made during Phase Six, but may be given for promises, to cement alliances, etc.

3. Payments to other players may be made at any time.

If you are playing with "rules lawyers", then #1 is probably where you'll end up.

I (personally) think that #2 is appropriate, and keeps players from interrupting the game flow (and perhaps causing other rules-related confusion).

Use #3 at your own risk - it seems inoccuous, but ...

Hope you continue to enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.