tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they called it Apples to Apples. Even better, there is an Apples to Apples Kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
Has anyone made a family/kid version?

I really don't see the point , but, if you are looking purely for the game mechanics, DoomTurtle has is right, go with Apples to Apples Kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kfritz wrote:
BettyEgan wrote:

I really don't see the point , but, if you are looking purely for the game mechanics, DoomTurtle has is right, go with Apples to Apples Kids.

Yeah it's called "a party game for horrible people" so I don't know why you'd want a "kid's version" but yeah, Apples to Apples, or maybe Say Anything should get the job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhoenixPez wrote:
kfritz wrote:
BettyEgan wrote:

Yeah it's called "a party game for horrible people" so I don't know why you'd want a "kid's version" but yeah, Apples to Apples, or maybe Say Anything should get the job done.

Maybe she thinks she has horrible kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
BettyEgan wrote:

CAH comes with incest and molestation, I hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
edit: Just realized you are probably looking for an actual "kid version" and not simply looking to remove inappropriate cards from the existing game. Oops. I agree that would be quite fun - my daughter loves Apples to Apples and I'm always on the lookout for something with a little more thought than matching nouns/adjectives.

Trying to make CAH appropriate for kids would involve not even opening the box. You simply can't make this family-friendly. If your daughter is a fan of Apples to Apples, just stick with that. There are expansions.

An option you could have for a little more variety in play would be the party game Say Anything (or Say Anything Family Edition), which uses the same "judge picks the winner" system, but each player gets to make up their own answers and then bet on which of those choices the judge will pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
As often happens, allow me to be the voice of something-else here.

I like the questions in CAH better than the one word descriptions on the green apple cards in Apples to Apples, so I can understand why you would want a "cleaner" version. You could always print out a bunch of blank cards and make your own. I suppose if you wanted to waste paper, you could print the game and take out all the non-kid friendly cards, but you'd end up with less than half the cards left.

Edit: You could always call it "Cards for Hilarity"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
BettyEgan wrote:

I like the questions in CAH better than the one word descriptions on the green apple cards in Apples to Apples, so I can understand why you would want a "cleaner" version. You could always print out a bunch of blank cards and make your own. I suppose if you wanted to waste paper, you could print the game and take out all the non-kid friendly cards, but you'd end up with less than half the cards left.

I plan to see about printing/getting just the black cards from this and using them instead of the Green cards from Apples to Apples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
BettyEgan wrote:

I plan to see about printing/getting just the black cards from this and using them instead of the Green cards from Apples to Apples.
That's a great idea. Note that the tone is still going to be a lot more rated R for some of the black cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The hardest part of becoming a self-made man has got to be creating your own DNA sequences.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a good reason why it's not "family friendly":

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
BettyEgan wrote:

CAH comes with incest and molestation, I hear.

I'll feel so dirty if I thumb this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
BettyEgan wrote:

I was actually thinking if this was possible.

I like the format of CAH better than the format of A2A. Filling in blanks is much more entertaining that just comparing words.

Combining the two is possible... but I would rather custom make a version that has some cards taken from CAH but a lot tamer ones like youd find in A2A and give it as a Christmas gift: "Cards Against The Family."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kristen maxwell
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I did actually make my own custom deck for playing with my kids (aged 6 and 8) and their friends. We call it Kids Against Humanity: http://evilcyborg.com/files/KAH_v0.1_combined.pdf

Of course, "appropriateness" is extremely subjective, so I can't say if these would work for you-- but maybe they'll serve as an inspiration at least.

I used Bigger, Blacker Cards -- http://biggerblackercards.com/ -- to generate these PDFs, and it worked really well.

Anyway, hope you find it useful!

--kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kristenmaxwell wrote:
I did actually make my own custom deck for playing with my kids (aged 6 and 8) and their friends. We call it Kids Against Humanity: http://evilcyborg.com/files/KAH_v0.1_combined.pdf

Of course, "appropriateness" is extremely subjective, so I can't say if these would work for you-- but maybe they'll serve as an inspiration at least.

I used Bigger, Blacker Cards -- http://biggerblackercards.com/ -- to generate these PDFs, and it worked really well.

Anyway, hope you find it useful!

--kris

This looks great! I like the very obscure references. So far I've found a Homestar Runner reference and a Ren and Stimpy references.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz W

Texas
msg tools
Thanks for this! I was going to do it myself, but your version is better! I love the game, but think it is much funnier to be clean, dirty is just too obvious and lowbrow.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximina Revis
United States
California
flag msg tools
A kids version is now available. It's called Not Parent Approved.

On Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FST8A90?tag=article-boardgamege...

Website - http://notparentapproved.com

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kostin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
It should be noted that the Not Parent Approved cards are smaller than the standard playing card size. There is a card list for Not Parent Approved in the Card Listing Spreadsheet on the Stand Alone Games tab, if you want to check out the cards before buying it.

There is also another unofficial expansion called KinderPerfect (available on Amazon) that is also family friendly. There is a card list for that expansion in the CLS on the Third Party Commercial tab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Big Cheese
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yes its called Kids Create Absurdity and its on Amazon.

Go to http://www.kidscreateabsurdity.com and then you can click on the Buy It on Amazon link to got Amazon and purchase it.

It's been a big hit since we launched.

Hope you enjoy it.

The Big Cheese

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, so I finally picked up a used copy of CaH and wanted to "alter" some of the cards to make it my own. I took sandpaper to some of the bad cards, which left a rough surface on which to write your own replacements. And I wrote in pencil, so we can erase the ones that turn out to be less funny, or when we get bored of them.

It works really well and my friends and I have had a lot of fun with it. First we got rid of all the racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. cards and made new cards. The more we play, the better the deck gets as we get rid of the less funny cards and the tired old jokes, making the game stay fresh. There are also inside jokes and personalized cards; one has my name on it!

Although our deck isn't "family-friendly", it would be easy enough to do the same to make a family friendly version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kostin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Another family friendly version showed up on Amazon these week called "Cards Against Profanity".

Here's the game's description from Amazon:

Cards Against Profanity is a clean, family and grandma friendly spin off of Cards Against Humanity. It will have all your friends or family on the ground laughing. Be the one to bring the most laughs to the table and you might just win the game. Play on, play hard and have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kostin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
And another one that I just found out about, Kids Against Maturity.

Kids Against Maturity is a super duper fun card game that takes you and your whole family to the "toilet."

Before Pepsi, there was Coke. Before the game in black box, there was apples game. Now there is Kids Against Maturity! The RC Cola of cards games. Do you have kids that are too old for the apples game, and too young for the other naughty version? KAM fills your gap with age appropriate “toilet” humor for the whole family to enjoy. Fart jokes for the kids, and innocuous "Shrek like" innuendos for the parents to discretely snicker at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Groves
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I just created a Cards Against Humanity alternative for teens (and anyone else who doesn't want to tarnish their soul) ; )

It's called SICK (Slightly Inappropriate Cards For Kids) and it's just edgy enough that tweens and teens feel like they're getting away with something...but still hilarious enough that they keep playing it again and again.

We're in the Kickstarter phase right now. Order your copy of SICK today at bit.ly/GetSICK .

Thanks!

-Shaun
sickgame.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Most shocking thing in this thread: There's a "kids" version of Apples to Apples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nava Breganza
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think when you Cah you need to expect NOT to have a child's version...I think that is them point. I could be wrong but Take a look here...

https://playcardsagainsthumanity.com

I think it may help you.

Nava

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.