MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound
Travel Hazards
Progressive (No Doom Track) Variant

v1.0 12/29/05

While I’m not a fan of the Doom Track, I do like the way that it works with Travel Hazards to make the land progressively more dangerous as the game advances. This Travel Hazard variant is meant to allow you to accomplish this effect without needing to use the Doom Track.

Simple version:
When a Travel Hazard is encountered, draw a card from the stack that matches the color of the currently active Event. No Travel Hazards occur until the first Event takes place.

Variable version:
When a Travel Hazard is encountered, roll 2 movement dice and add the number of symbols to determine the hazard number, then draw a card from the indicated deck.

Hazard number___Draw card_____________Probability
..........4.............current Event level -1....25%
..........5.............current Event level........50%
..........6.............current Event level +1....25%

Before any Events are drawn, the Event level is 0, so no Travel Hazard encounter occurs unless the player rolls a hazard number of 6, in which case he will draw from the Green deck. Similarly, when a level I Event (Green) is out, a hazard number of 4 means there is no encounter, 5 means a Green card is drawn, and 6 means a Yellow card is drawn. Once event IV (Red) appears, all Travel Hazards come from the Red deck unless a hazard number of 4 is rolled, in which case a Blue card is drawn.

These rules have the effect of making traveling progressively more dangerous as events transpire, eventually reaching the point where Margath and the Dragonlords are actively hunting the Heroes! Remember, if you win a Red Challenge as a Travel Hazard, you have only fended off the attack and don’t collect the Rune (or win if it was Margath), although you do get experience points.

All other rules are as stated in the 2nd edition rulebook.

Please feel free to let me know how this works out for you if you try it!
Drasher25 at BoardGameGeek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.